300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• K-9 BSD (Behavior Shaping Device)?

Sorry to bring this up if it has already been discussed but I was wondering if anyone has used this K-9 BSD (www.k-9bsd.com)? I am trying to get my supervisor to order one but we have heard that the noise it makes scares some dogs to the point where they won't search for narcotics. My department has both aggressive alert and passive alert K9s and so I don't really know what to think. If anyone has any input please advise. Thanks

Originally posted by K9Cop378 View Post
    Sorry to bring this up if it has already been discussed but I was wondering if anyone has used this K-9 BSD (www.k-9bsd.com)? I am trying to get my supervisor to order one but we have heard that the noise it makes scares some dogs to the point where they won't search for narcotics. My department has both aggressive alert and passive alert K9s and so I don't really know what to think. If anyone has any input please advise. Thanks
    I couldn't get the link up, but I have to ask what problem could you possibly have that can not be addressed by proven traditional training methods? Another gimmicky, quick fix that is likely to leave you with greater problems than you started with? When will people just understand that to train a dog takes time, patience and understanding. Training is really the wrong word to use, 'showing' is a better word. Communication is the key, if you can get over to the dog what exactly you want from him he willing will deliver.......... If you want to have a well trained, well adjusted happy and successful dog, there is no subsitute for hard work!.................
    "That's funny, he's never done that before!"

Comment

www.k-9bsd.com revised link

Comment

The founder of the GSD breed, Max von Stephanitz, once said (to paraphrase) the best thing a person can do to train a dog isto gain trust & know how to communicate. If you've lost the trust you've lost everything and the person that knows how to say "I want you to do THIS" is the expert trainer ---- I think that about sums it up for any dog.........

Comment

Originally posted by hemicop View Post
          The founder of the GSD breed, Max von Stephanitz, once said (to paraphrase) the best thing a person can do to train a dog isto gain trust & know how to communicate. If you've lost the trust you've lost everything and the person that knows how to say "I want you to do THIS" is the expert trainer ---- I think that about sums it up for any dog.........

Right on........I Googled this contraption and rang a few people, and my opinion has not changed.......sorry spend the cash in the fund on something you really need.........................

Comment

Have to agree with both, nothing that another handler, or anybody for that matter, can't do for you to provide an outside source for a reward.
            Its all about timing!!!!!!

Comment

I agree save the money. Why do you feel you need one?

Comment

We are just looking for something different and new for our K9s.. thats all. My main question was if anyone had hear of the noise affecting the drive of the K9. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by K9Cop378 View Post
                  We are just looking for something different and new for our K9s.. thats all. My main question was if anyone had hear of the noise affecting the drive of the K9. Thanks
                  There is no reflection on your post, we are pleased that you have taken the opportunity to seek the views of your colleagues, and pleased that you have drawn the attention of the forum to this device. Please do not assume that some of our views are in anyway critical of you, I assure you they are not, it just that there is a good deal of frustration with equipment or techniques that are offered from time to time that are trumpeted as being the last word in training.........

There is nothing wrong in evaluating a new system, but one should always sit down and think carefully before you rush in and try it. All training has a positive and negative element, you just have to make sure that what you do does not interfer with your exisiting Standard, otherwise it will do more harm than good..................................

Comment

One of the guys we train with has one of these,

http://www.bow-gun-hunting-sports.co...20launcher.jpg

It is meant for bird dog training, but it works pretty well. It will throw a toy about 20 ft if you want it to. It doesn't make much noise, and you can direct the launch where you want it. It works well for being able to have all the handlers stand away from the dog when he gets rewarded. I haven't used the one your asking about so i can't comment on it.

Comment

I don't use this device for my agreesive alert dog, but I have used them when we train passive dogs. It seems to work on getting the dogs to focus on the odor. There is a fairly loud thud-thud sound, but I haven't scene a dog be afraid of it. At least not a dog with fairly good drive. It is also a good form of primary reward, but I agree with most of the other guys, save the money there are many other ways to do a primary reward.

Comment

Sad Day for K9 Unit

Thanks for all the replies and opinions. We still don't know if we will purchase one but if we do I will let everyone know how it went.

We lost a K9 lastnight to cancer so our unit has other issues to focus on right now. But please keep K9 Officer Neal Martin and K9 Astor in your thoughts and prayers. K9 Astor had to be put down lastnight due to complications involving a tumor that spread to his liver. This was very sudden and not expected. Also please remember K9 Astor's former handler, Sgt. Tony Hill. K9 Astor ment the world to both of them. Thanks

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5803 users online. 315 members and 5488 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X