300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• equipment fixation

Just thought I'd share an exercise that I've been doing with my partner...not sure if anyone has talked about this before...I take equipment and lay it spaced apart on the ground....and do obedience off lead around and overtop of the equipment..he stays focused on me, not the equipment... After an apprehension in training, I have also been outing my partner and demanding that he heel while I carry the sleeve back to the car...it is equipment and only that, he is a very high drive mal and has responded well...I am finding that he is more and more focusing simply on the decoy, not the sleeve (unfortunately we train with sleeves more often than we should)....another exercise I've been doing is that I have the decoy be present without equipment (with the equipment within reach of decoy out of sight of k9)....the dog focuses on the decoy and "fires up" (my dog I had to work on being vocal so we would do bark drills) and the decoy retrieves the HIDDEN SLEEVE and the dog is given an engaged apprehension....just some ideas...
    I'd like to see more of us giving training tips and ideas that we've come up with ...not everything works for every dog and I'm sure if we continue to share we will all improve.......train train train

I assume you are talking about manwork equipment. It's a very good idea to conduct obedience with this sort of distraction, you might go further and not give him a bite to consolidate what you are training.

If you wish to teach a barking exercise I would suggest that you teach a 'bark on command', without using a decoy, you will find it extremely useful when your dog comes across hidden offenders and irratrieveable articles.....
    "That's funny, he's never done that before!"

Comment

no you're correct.... i've already gotten him to bark on command...thanks

Comment

barrydog/Eurodog: I've been working with my boy on barking on command...how about some reccomendations for effective exercises I can do to help him out with this?

Comment

Originally posted by MDK9 View Post
          barrydog/Eurodog: I've been working with my boy on barking on command...how about some reccomendations for effective exercises I can do to help him out with this?

MDK9

PM'ed you............................

Comment

Have you tried placing dog in hard muzzle have him fight decoy this way?

Comment

No, with a 'bark on command' you ideally want to train a none aggressive bark, not through aggression, it's a little counter productive and a bit of a one way street. There are much better ways to encourage your dog to give voice, and the 'finish' is just as important............

Comment

yes i have done so...he will bark on command....a human doesn't have to be present or any agitation

Comment

Originally posted by barrydog View Post
                  yes i have done so...he will bark on command....a human doesn't have to be present or any agitation
                  My comments where directed to titan145, it's just that I forgot to click on the 'quote'..........................

Comment

gotcha.........

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6806 users online. 350 members and 6456 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X