300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for information

I work for a smaller department, 20-30 officers, and we are getting ready to expand in a big way in the next couple of years. An idea that has been kicked around is looking into a K-9 position. I have started doing research on my own, but I thought asking the people in the know would be a great source of information. I am looking for information on training options, costs, grants available, and overall impacts of having a K-9 unit available for the department. I have just started looking, so I really don't know a lot right now, but I would like to put together a proposal for the administration within a few months. Any and all input would be greatly appreciated. I thank you in advance for your replies.
    The difference between genius and stupidity........ Genius has it's limits.

Not sound sarcastic but really look through these forums. There are alot of similar posts. As far as cost you'll have to find a reputable trainer/vendor in your area and see how much they want. Start there.

Comment

Fair enough. Thank you for your response.
      The difference between genius and stupidity........ Genius has it's limits.

Comment

Contact an Agency you're confident in & ask for their stats on cost, training, liability, manhour usage, etc. If it were me staring a brand new unit, I'd contact the German Border Patrol in Germany. They've helped alot of agencies both in trainng & procuring dogs.they're about 100years ahead of the U.S. in police K9 usage, IMO.

Comment

I would approach all of your police K9 training facilities in your area and have them put together a quote for cost and any cost for in service training. Most will be more than happy to talk to your bosses or have your bosses go visit them to show what they do.
          I believe K9Fleck has a proposal sample that he disseminates that will help establish statistics for you also.

Good luck.

Comment

First things first...get a dog
            ~ When I close my eyes, I`ll see you on the other side ~

Comment

I can provide justification, costs, policy and funding information.

Contact me direct at k9fleck@aol.com.

Terry Fleck
              Canine Legal Update and Opinions
              www.k9fleck.org
              (530) 545.2855

Comment

I have done the research, figured out the budget and costs, written the policy, gotten business to donate, city council meetings, etc. I have also gotten a local agency to help with providing two narcotics demo searches and spoke with my administration and council. After all of this, and a year later, I will be attending K9 handler school in August 2008. Needless to say the grunt work paid off. If you need help with anything please do not hesitate to ask. I will do everything i can to help you get your K-9 partner. My e-mail is patrolmanlee4160@yahoo.com.

Comment

Congrats Lee, glad to see some hard work still pays off once in a while in this field!! Hope you continue to put the hard work into training and make the rest of us K9 handlers proud!!!

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7511 users online. 424 members and 7087 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X