300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home Kennel Question

So I've applied to be a K9 Handler for my agency, and while reading the agencies SOP I have not seen any mention about kennel costs. All I've seen is that they must provide 24 hours notice before they can come and inspect the kennel at your residence. So with that in mind am I to assume that I have to build a kennel for the dog myself out of my own pocket? If so, would it be wrong of me to inquire during the interview stage if I get reimbursed for the kennel and all materials used to build it? Also for those that live in climates with lots of snow, do you still keep your dog outside? I was thinking about an "Amish Dog House" design idea and use a heater to keep it set at a certain temperature just above freezing so the dog doesn't freeze to death and a box fan during the summer months. Or do you bring your dog into the house when it reaches certain temperatures? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Usually, the agency pays for the home kennel. That is an excellent question that should be part of the process.

Whether the dog comes inside is an individual decision. Is your dog going to be a Patrol Dog? If so, and you have a family, that is a risk.

Your agency’s K9 Supervisor can answer that question, it should also be covered by written policy.

Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

• Yesimajarhead
      Yesimajarhead commented
      Editing a comment
      It is used for patrol but it's a sporting breed that will not be bite trained. Our agency typically uses them for Narcotics and tracking non-violent individuals.

Just an observation ... if you're willing to leave your partner outside I personally hope you don't make the grade.
    Rule #1 - If it doesn't change supper it's not worth the worry.
    Rule #10 - YOU ARE NOW THE MINORITY. This country is no longer the one your parents knew. You will not be able to understand it. You will not be able to change it. You must learn to live with it.

Comment

• Yesimajarhead
      Yesimajarhead commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm not just leaving it outside. I'm insuring that there is shelter for the dog and that it is warm enough. I've heard from my buddy that was also a handler that if you keep the dog in too warm of an environment say 70 degrees when it's -10 outside that the dog will refuse to want to work sometimes. The dogs health and safety is a priority of mine which is why I'm asking for some advice here, but at the same time I need it to be able to work in all weather conditions. So no I'm not going to spoil it, but I will guarantee that it is safe from the elements as best I can.

• JPD19er
      JPD19er commented
      Editing a comment
      That’s an unfair comment in my opinion. Kenneling a dog separately from domestic living is more beneficial than one might think. After all, working dogs are not pets. Just food for thought.

As long as there is a warm kennel and run, it’s not uneard of. Not all K9s are inside dogs. OP is asking GOOD questions.

Comment

Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
      As long as there is a warm kennel and run, it’s not uneard of. Not all K9s are inside dogs. OP is asking GOOD questions.
      Yep. One of our K9 officers had a dog that was full patrol trained and lived in the house 24/7 with the family. His second dog was a kennel dog as the personality was totally opposite the first. He was not a 'family dog" in any way shape or form. He was a good patrol dog.
      Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

https://www.dutchcrafters.com/Amish-...SABEgL2wvD_BwE

That's something along the lines that I was thinking about for the dog except I'd just get a shed from Home Depot, toss in some insulation on the side walls and hard plastic over it for easy cleaning. Concrete slab maybe 10x10 for the entire thing (inside and out) I've seen online a heater that is designed for dog kennels (it was manufactured by a guy in MN, so he may know what he's talking about). Have some power plugs for the heater/box fan and a light switch the see for easy cleaning...

Comment

My buddy did the same thing you mentioned. He bought a shed from home depot. Put a swamp cooler and a heater inside. Is dog is living the life. If you place a cover over the top of a swamp cooler to block the sun it works great
          I'd rather be judged by 12 rather carried by 6.

It should be noted that any and all post that are made are based on my own thought and opinions. And are not related or implied to represent the department I work for.

Comment

A guy on my job had a patrol dog get out of the kennel in his back yard years ago. The dog went to work on a guy who was jogging down his street. Nearly killed the guy. Just make sure the job insures you in the event the k9 bites or kills someone while the k9 is under your care, off duty. Your property insurance certainly will not cover you in that unfortunate event. Don't assume they will cover you. If its not on paper, the city/county manager might try to get out of it and put it on you.
            Last edited by SHU; 02-19-2019, 07:50 PM.

Comment

You should have a 1 Million $ Home insurance policy. It’s not as bad as it sounds. That will take care of most claims if anything occurs.

Again, your agency will have policies and coverage for these things...or should.

Comment

Hey there! Good on you for asking questions. I figured I’d give some input and hopefully it helps.
                1. As for paying for the dog’s kennel, that should definitely be the responsibility of the agency. Still, every agency is unique in this regard, so seek guidance from admin staff regarding this potential expense.
                2. I’d ignore SGT. Geezer’s comment above, as it clearly spawned from emotional attachment he has towards his dog. I have seen several dogs ruined by being allowed inside on a regular basis, primarily because this unintentionally promotes a domesticated lifestyle. Your bond won’t be severed with your dog by kenneling him outside with proper provisions and frequent contact/training. If anything, this will increase his drive to work and acclimate him to the environment. As I type, my partner is sleeping soundly out in his 10X10 with an insulated house and tarped roof. We have a great bond and he’s on point.
                3. There are some circumstances that would require you to have an alternate crate-style kennel to utilize. Though my Malinois is hearty in the cold, I’ll usually transfer him to a kennel in my garage where it is warmer and away from the elements. That’s not until we hit low 20’s, though.
                I hope all goes well for you. Wish you the best!

Comment

• Yesimajarhead
                  Yesimajarhead commented
                  Editing a comment
                  They did ask during the interview how I would home kennel the dog, so that right there told me that they weren't going to provide any type of kennel as I had expected. But it didn't deter me from wanting the position (after 2 weeks I got the negative results for it, so back to the drawing board...). I've always heard the dogs can take the cold pretty well as long as you provide some better protection for them. I found a sweet kennel idea that I'm actually considering for my personal dogs too for the long days away from the house.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7486 users online. 293 members and 7193 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X