300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• K-9 Question

My department has recently decided to invest in a CDS K-9, and asked me to be the handler, which I would love to, but I have a child that is allegeric to dogs. Is there such a thing as a leave at work K-9? Had anyone else on here ran into a similar problem?

Any assistance or recommendations would greatly be appreciated!

Nope. Only in the military. You will have dog all over you, even if you left the dog at work, so that won’t work.
    Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

A lot of departments will pay for an outside dog pen. But, as a former K9 officer, the partnership of the dog and you the handler is so very important. The idea of leaving your K9 at work at the end of the day, everyday and days off....is so bad and will hurt the relationship....don't do it, it;s not what is best for the K9 program.

Comment

I believe that my local Sheriff's Office had a K9 that was left the jail back in the 80s'. This was long before my time, but the stories go that it was teased and pestered mercilessly by deputies and CO's alike while it was in the kennel, that the deputy assigned was a slug of grand proportions, and that the unit as a whole was a liability on four (or six, if you count the deputy) legs.

Having worked beside several K9 officers, I can't imagine them not taking their dogs home. K9 becomes an obsession with most of them and the bond is extremely tight.
        "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
        -Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

Customs and Border Protection K9 Corp have approximately 1450 dog teams, with all Field Operations teams (Blue uniforms) kenneling their dogs on site, or civilian kennels. Border Patrol falls under CBP as well, but all BPA K9 teams take their dogs home. It was done this way since the early 70's for legacy U.S. Customs Service due to inspectors who couldn't afford a home being denied the opportunity to be a K9 Officer. So, it was mandated that all handlers will kennel dogs. Once the dog is retired, it is the handlers to keep.

Comment

All that STILL doesn’t solve the allergy issue. Dog dander WILL be coming home. Civilian cops don’t leave their dogs in a kennel. They go home.
            Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10878 users online. 394 members and 10484 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X