Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phil Dodson
    replied
    > When teaching my personal pup or adult I start with self laid tracks because this is normally on my own time and I can hardly if ever find anybody interested enough to lay tracks for me on a daily basis.

> For PSDs I do not use the handler but different quarries from the very first track, throughout the class and the remainder of the teams career. I use portable radios and we drop toilet paper to mark turns or back tracks.

> Once the teams are proficient at each level I begin alternating (1) bite every 4 to 5 tracks and using different scenarios.

> As we spend so much time training on hard surfaces during training, the last day each week we go back to easily laid wooded, vegetated tracks with little to no distractions to get their noses back down. Also once a week each year I try to pull the teams off the street to go back to basic tracking in the woods again to clean up any problems and get them tracking again.

Leave a comment:

• Shaver
    replied
    Just a couple of ideas. The reward I use at the end of a track is a tennis ball. I dragged the tennis ball along the sidewalk to leave the odor there. I also started with short spurts across hard surface. Last but not least, I used hard surfaces with grass growing in the cracks. slowly moving to complete hard surfaces

Leave a comment:

• quebec zulu
    replied
    I also lay my own tracks but also (normally on night shifts) for hard surface tracks go to an area sit and wait for a person to walk past, watch where the persons walks follow in vehicle and drop reward off at a point you want to finish at, then go back and put your dog out, I think its the closests thing to a 'live job' if you get behind a jogger even better as it simulates a fleeing suspect, just an idea give it a go. Normally reward with a ragging dole, remember to play at the end of track rather walking away from the finish it reinforces the reward, good luck

Leave a comment:

• hemicop
    replied
    Contact Gene England in Kentucky or Gary Hanrahan in Georgia (I think) for tracking advice. If you're REAL ambitious, Lance Collins In Canada could offer some GREAT advice. As for me---I'll lay my own tracks so I know where EXACTLY the track is. Remember, this is training & the dog is only going to be successful if he's confident in his skills. That means being being successful & finding the article/suspect at the completion of the track. As to transitioning him from soft to hard surface tracking---don't underestimate him. A dog lives through his nose the way we live through our eyes. Start him off on a conventional track & have his reward shortly after the transition (usually four or five paces the first day) then extend thedistance to the reward as he becomes more confident. You can then age the track as he becomes more proficient. As he becomes a veteran you can then start throwing in obstacles (i.e. crosstracks, step-overs, etc. ) to make it more challenging. The dog needs to recognize the track is the actual work & the article/suspect is the "bump" in the "road" that he is showing you. If you like you can PM me as I know Lance pretty well & have worked with him alot in the past.

Leave a comment:

• joerod80
    replied
    Tracking is like anything else....there are some many schools of thought. You have to do whats right for you and your dog. I lay my own tracks when I cant get someone to do it for me, or if I make it extra difficult and have to know where it was laid. When I lay a basic track I try not to pay to close attention so I read and not lead the dog. If I can get someone to lay it for me that works great too, but it doesnt always happen.

Leave a comment:

• Dep.WTF
    started a topic tracking

tracking

As with everyone I'm always trying to better my dogs abilities. I recently spoke with a couple of out of state handlers at a work shop I attended who said they set there own training tracks. Being somewhat new I had never heard of this and was wondering what some your varying opinions are as I'm sure there are many about setting your own tracks. Also what have some of you tried as far as stepping your dog out on extended hard surface tracking? I've heard of the sweaty sock in the water sprayer and also the sock in a bag of rice trick, any others?

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3050 users online. 210 members and 2840 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X