300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slowing dog down on drug sniff

What is the best way to slow a Malinois down during a drug sniff on a car? Mine goes full speed and tends to pass door seams and not detail them well. Would love to slow him down some and make it a more detailed, methodical process. This is primarily on cars.

Send back to training. Both of you. You need a structured fix, that will stand up in court.
    Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Shouldn't you be asking your training unit it where got the dog trained at?
      I'd rather be judged by 12 rather carried by 6.

It should be noted that any and all post that are made are based on my own thought and opinions. And are not related or implied to represent the department I work for.

Comment

So you want to slow your dog down? Narcotic searches are all about precision and ensuring the dog is searching productive areas. How old is the dog? What type of training are you conducting? A lot of factors play into this. PM me and shoot me more details if you like. I have 8 years of handler/trainer experience. (DOD)

Comment

A structured fix ?

Comment

Go to a new car lot and work a lot of blank vehicles. this way you can work on slowing him down, detailing the productive areas of vehicles and you have an abundance of cars to work. Also, for another fix, work him backwards around the car, put him behind you and you set the pace instead of the other way around.

Comment

I'm a new handler but one way I was able to accomplish this was tight spacing between the training vehicles and as SATX1310 said, be in front of the dog. It took quite a few tries but now he searches low and high effectively.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5990 users online. 197 members and 5793 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X