300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neutered patrol dogs?

I took my partner to the vet today with reference to chronic diarreha he's been having for the last week. During the exam the doc discovered that one of the testicles (the dog's not mine!) has not ascended into the scrotum. She explained that there is a HIGH probabilty of testicular cancer in the future if he is not neutered. My question is...has anyone had this done to there dog and noticed any significant change in the dog's behavior afterwards. They're going to let him finish school and graduate and then have the surgery.
    "The glory goes to those that dance on land mines and live to die another day"

"Get on it Mel"

I've had about 10 GSDs in my life & 1 of the best ones I ever had was a neutered male. He had the same problem as your dog so the operation was necessary. It didn't change him 1 bit. I will add, however, he was worked quite a bit & his bloodline was pretty much known for producing "single phase" (good for only 1 discipline) dogs. If you're looking at keeping this dog for work I'd get with your trainer,explain your concerns & possibly discuss with him just how strong the dog's temperment is to begin with. If he's only a medium hard dog you may be better off starting fresh. The dog I had was quite "decoy hard" & a little too defensive so the neutering didn't hurt anything. If your dog is more balanced in his temperment it MAY be a concern

Comment

Great POLICE DOGS with no balls .

Comment

My dog's drives are very high. He's hitting the decoy like a freight train and progressing well in the training. We just finished up our fourth week of a sixteen week school. I'm a green handler and this is my first dog so of course I'm a proud poppa!!!
        "The glory goes to those that dance on land mines and live to die another day"

"Get on it Mel"

Comment

Again, I'd ask your trainer, as he 'll probably have the final say on his continuing on. If he does, since he 'll have no balls, can you give him Sgt. stripes instead?

Comment

We have a dog currently that is operational and he is neutured he is a machine but like hemi said he had a very high level of defensive drive prior to being neutured so like hemi said check with your senior trainer and maybe some other senior handlers and get their opinion in regards to your dogs drive, if it is agreed upon that he is not really a hard dog start again before you get second dog syndrome when or if he lets you down. The good thing that will eventaute out of this if he is deemed unsuitable you would of learnt something and that is what dog handling is all about, LEARNING when you think you know everything get out as someone will get hurt. Cheers Skip

Comment

Originally posted by Bodie
              Great POLICE DOGS with no balls .
              I guess that it would then be a real bitch.
              Kelly

We are the thin blue line
              between you
              and all the money in the world.

And no you can't have any.

Comment

neutered patrol dogs

My first question is how old is the dog? If it is a real young dog, it may not have dropped both of its testicles yet. So, if he is young and I'm talking around 12 to 14 months, you may want to wait and nature may take it course.

If the dog is older, you want to get the problem taken care of. Ninety-nine percent of the police service dogs I know of that have been neutered showed no significant change in their behavior or ability to work due to the procedure.

But like everyone else told you, talk to your trainer about it. Tell him soon though, nothing worst than getting eleven weeks into a twelve canine academy and having to wash a dog out.

Comment

I was just discussing this very situation with my vet, today. He said that the first two weeks after the surgery are key. As long as you can keep his interest, aggression and drive during that time period, you should be fine.

LOL at the Sgt. comment- so true!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5643 users online. 347 members and 5296 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X