300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Detection Dog Obedience?

I'm working with a 2 1/2 yr old lab/border collie passive alert detection dog. He is a dope finding FOOL! When he's doing his thing, I'd pit him against any other dog I've seen. The problem is... I only get to work him about half the time, because I have other investigative duties. That means he has to spend quite a bit of time in his crate... next to my desk. He's like a bowling ball in a dryer in that thing. Aside from that... he's all around spastic. I'm trying to work with him on "heel" and "down." He is getting better at not pulling on the lead, but that's about it. I can't sit in a briefing with him, because he is OBNOXIOUS! Any ideas, tips, tricks, pointers, suggestions about how to get him to CHILL OUT without killing his drive?
    People who think they know everything are especially annoying to those of us who actually do.

disclaimor statement: I'm a green handler and not a trainer!!! But I'm currently going through a 16 week k9 school. I know that my trainer would rather a dog be spastic about finding dope than being able to sit. His theory is that he wants working dogs not show dogs. Patrol dogs are a different story for obvious reasons.
    "The glory goes to those that dance on land mines and live to die another day"

"Get on it Mel"

Comment

That's what I have heard a few times. The problem is, this particular dog needs to be able to just CHILL during interviews, meetings, briefings, etc.
      People who think they know everything are especially annoying to those of us who actually do.

Comment

I have a single purpose malinois that is a freak too. While I like to keep her drive up, I also feel it is important to have her under control. There are many instances where you need to have control of the dog. I have handled this dog for a little over three years, and I believe that you need a balance. My suggestion is to do the obedience, but only with a flat collar. I think the pinch is a little too aggressive for what we are trying to accomplish.

I put in some seriouse time on the obedience, but I do not make her heel or do anything but sit before conducting a search. I let her tow me to the area, all the while I am hyping her up even more. Then I have her sit, and I can see her literally shake with anticipation. I must say that my dog is not as obedient as the patrol/protection dogs, but she is in control. I think it is all about when you enforce the obedience rules. Obviously you want the dog to chill during briefing. And that will be a long uphill battle. Teach your dog the basic down, and stay. And make it work. I must also say that while I think I have a pretty obedient dog, she can not sit through a meeting or briefing very well. We have on a few occasions, but if I have a choice, she is in the car or crate while I am doing human business.

To make a long story short, if your dog is a spaz, which I can relate, obedience will not hurt her/his drive to find dope. Atleast it has not in my case, with a Mal. Oh and I'd take you up on the dope finding contest.................I think I have a diamond. The eye of the beholder maybe, but stats don't lie....usually.

Bye the way, where are you in Oregon? I am in the background with Bend P.D.
        Last edited by Jkk-9; 10-05-2005, 01:59 PM.

Comment

Jkk has some good advise. You need to find the balance to turn your dog on and off. No play in off time, and things are in control. On time is little obedience and lots of hunt.

Can I get in on the bet with a 115# Mal?

[IMG][/IMG]
          South Bloomfield Police Department
          K9 Unit

American Working Dog Council

Comment

Your dog without a doubt hands down, has the nicest tail...........nice!

Comment

Did you notice he was licking his chops? That is my BOY!
              K9 Unit

Comment

Thanks for the input. I have been doing a little bit of obedience stuff since I posted this thread... seems to be helping.

Jkk, I'm out in Pendleton, in Eastern Oregon. I just came back from the Oregon Police K9 Association conference in Eugene... a couple of Central Oregon guys there. Bend is nice... growing like crazy, but nice. Good luck with the job.

Comment

[QUOTE=K9 Gunner]Jkk has some good advise. You need to find the balance to turn your dog on and off. No play in off time, and things are in control. On time is little obedience and lots of hunt.

Can I get in on the bet with a 115# Mal?

Jeff,

Does he weigh that much too? Must be somethin on Varak's side then, B***a's a freakin monster too.
                  In god we trust, the rest we run through NCIC

Comment

Originally posted by K9 Gunner
                    Did you notice he was licking his chops? That is my BOY!

Forgot to send you back an email when you sent that to me. Your dog's half brother is jealous.
                    In god we trust, the rest we run through NCIC

Comment

Do you have any recent pics of your boy? I would like to see how much he turned out looking like Rock or Gunner.
                      K9 Unit

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4177 users online. 210 members and 3967 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X