300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Female K9 units question

I know this may sound kinda strange but I have heard this told to me several times and its something I do not believe but feel I need to ask.

I very much want to become a K9 officer and I am a female. I was told that they do not have Female units one because your put in more dangerous situations and second because the the female problem during that time of the month causes the dog not to track a scent of a suspect. I am not sure if thats true I would hope not because I know I am very capable of handling as good as any male handler. Can anyone or even a female help me out with this info?
    I've got friends in low places

we had a female handler on our dept and she did just fine , i put in for it but did not get the job , some depts are slow to accept females as k9 handlers

Comment

Originally posted by LadyLawman
      I was told that they do not have Female units one because your put in more dangerous situations and second because the the female problem during that time of the month causes the dog not to track a scent of a suspect.
      ROTFLMAO!!! Whoever told you that was either pulling your leg or greatly misinformed.

FWIW, until the early 1970s, the State of California refused to appoint women as state peace officers because the work was considered "too dangerous." That was quickly ended with a civil rights suit.
      Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

When I worked for Maine State Police we had a female handler...she was one of the best and has since been promoted to detective
        "Thats a pretty cool sidearm you got there....What is it?"
        "I don't know what its called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a mans life"

Comment

We have a female handler here and she does an outstanding job.
          No man is justified in doing evil on the grounds of expediency. - Theodore Roosevelt, The Strenuous Life: Essays and Addresses (1900)

Comment

Cincinnati PD has a Female Handler and she is awesome!! Better than some of the guys!!

Good Luck!!

Go for it..

Stay Safe
            ACCEPT RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR OWN ACTIONS, DON'T BLAME OTHERS!!!

Comment

female handlers

I have come into contact with quite a few female k-9 handlers, just like male k-9 handlers, some very good and some that should be doing something else. Whoever gave you the information is either fos, or knows nothing about what they are talking.

Personal opinion as to why there are very few female k-9 handlers, is the simple fact that police work is a male dominated occupation. If you look at the overall picture there are very few women on SWAT, firearms instructors, motor officers, command staff, etc. Women are only starting to breach those positions on the depts. In the future the percent of women in those positions will drastically increase.

So my suggestion to you is if you want to be a canine handler, go for it. Hook up with your k-9 unit and volunteer to help them in their training.

Comment

We had plenty of women K-9 handlers in the military as drug, bomb, patrol and guard dogs. Never a problem. Secondly, the menstration "problem" is pure unadultered B.S.!!!!!
                Be alert...the world needs more lerts!

Comment

Female handlers

First off, I'm not a K9 handler. I have however,worked a lot with/around the K9s here and LOTS of other places. I've been around a long time & can remember everone's concern about female handlers. My Dept. has had female handlers now and in the past & I can remember when my own agency wanted nothing to do with them Now ? We have some real good ones and they work just as hard if not harder than some of the guys. The heat cycle thing? All BS! If your dog is SO distracted by such things,get him back on the training field! It's not your problem, it's his!

Comment

Seen plenty of female K-9 handlers. We have one.
                    "there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4838 users online. 293 members and 4545 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X