300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• K9, inside or outside

I'm a new K9 handler who just recieved my dog the other day. For the time being I'm keeping him in a kennel in my basement because the outside kennel hasn't been delivered yet. I'm pleasantly surprised at how well he is doing inside. He's from Chech and only one year old with no training at all. Was just wandering what other K9 handlers do as far as housing the dog. I am being very careful not to turn him into a pet but being inside does give him the opportunity to get know the wife and kids. Thanks...
    "The glory goes to those that dance on land mines and live to die another day"

"Get on it Mel"

My Mals all stay inside.
    South Bloomfield Police Department
    K9 Unit

American Working Dog Council

Comment

We have a bloodhound that stays inside with it's handler and her husband and other dogs blah, blah blah. Seems to be going ok. I do know a pretty good number of handlers here in SD that keep theirs inside. One handler I know even has Mal sleeping with him and his wife (despite regulations). Most of the handlers we talked to when geting the dog for our office were letting them in their houses and around the spouse and kids but most put them in an outdoor kennel at night and when no one was around the house.
      Be alert...the world needs more lerts!

Comment

Inside with family to bond and socialize

Comment

during the day, outside in the kennel. evening hes inside for social time and he is fed and sleeps in his crate.

Comment

Originally posted by Bodie
            Inside with family to bond and socialize

I believe it is recommended for him to be the cop's partner/protector on duty, the family's pet/protector off duty.

I am not a K9 officer, but do keep a full blooded german shepherd inside at all times. He is well trained, loves the wife and kids, even answers commands,
            (sit, stay, and the like) from my 4 year old son.
            Although brushed almost daily, still quite a bit of hair in the house.
            Great dog, no accidents in the house.......
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            In Memory of Staff Sgt. Matt Kimmell
            United States Army
            5th Special Forces Group
            Former Deputy Sheriff, Vanderburgh County
            Killed in Iraq October 11, 2005
            Sometimes I wonder, who you'd be today!!
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.tryfreemasonry.org

Real men wear aprons..

Comment

Inside Is Best So The Dog Can Bond With You.

Comment

nothing to see here
                Last edited by olnacl; 05-18-2006, 02:29 PM.

Comment

Ref to K9 in the home

I am currently the K9 handler for my department. My dogs trainer, Rudy Drexler, recommends that the K9 stays in the home and bonds with the family.

Mark

Comment

Well it's been two weeks since he's been home and he's been doing wonderful. Way better and much smoother than I had anticipated. He absolutely loves my wife. A completely different relationship that I have with him. When moms around he's know's that its time for love and treats. I have him in a 6x8 cheapoh kennel in the basement and my 10x10 is supposed to be delivered tomorrow actually. That'll be outside on a 11x15 pad. We got the concrete donated by a local builder and we did everything else our selves. Not perfect but good enough for the mutt. I think right now I'm going to do like the other handler mentioned and mix it up. When we want to go for the day I'll leave him out but primarily leave him in. He likes to see what everyone is doing plus the MD heat is still pretty intense.
                    "The glory goes to those that dance on land mines and live to die another day"

"Get on it Mel"

Comment

nothing to see here
                      Last edited by olnacl; 05-18-2006, 02:28 PM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5602 users online. 343 members and 5259 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X