300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do you want to be a K9 handler?

I'm currently applying for a k9 position with my department. I am just curious to the difference reasons why some of you got into being a police k9 handler. From what I have read in the different threads, I understand that it is a very rewarding career. I also understand that it takes it takes a lot of personal time and dedication on the handlers part to get your dog (partner) to do what is asked of them along with maintaining that skill. I am also on the SWAT team. We currently don't have a tactical k9 and I was hoping that this would be a benefit for me during this process. I understand that there is a lot of interest and talk about integrating the two units. Being on the SWAT team we have a higher standard of physical fitness. To become a SWAT operator there is a physical fitness test. Surprisingly for the K-9 unit there is not. I feel this is also an advantage I have over the other candidates.

There is a lot of things that you haven't mentioned that are pertinent to this decision. What kind of dog? Single purpose or dual? Would you be the only handler for the entire agency? Does the dog track? What schedule would you be working? How would you do your training? The list goes on and on. I've been handling a single purpose mal for almost 2 years now and I realize that there was a LOT that I didn't know when I accepted the position. There are definitely a lot of rewards associated with handling a dog but you don't truly understand them until you have handled a dog. There are a lot of sacrifices that come with the job. I wish you luck. Handling a dog is definitely an experience but it's not for everyone.

Comment

In PPDs organizational charts our K9Units are a part of our SAU (SWAT) contingient. I'd suggest you contact them for any questions pertaining to K9/SWAT deployment/management as they've been doing it for years.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6357 users online. 347 members and 6010 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
      Working...
      X