300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Handler Advice

New handler and just it my dog. German shepherd just under 2 years old. Obedience is fantastic and he has tons of energy.

I'm spending a lot of time excercising him especially before bed but he can't go more than a few hours without barking. He resides in an outdoor kennel. Concrete floor with a good sized dog house. He alternates sleeping on the concrete and sleeping in the house.

Any advice on how to calm the barking? Neighbors are bearing with me but don't want to make them crazy.

You could try a bark collar but I'd talk to your trainer first. My dog stays in an outdoor kennel and he barks constantly. I don't have much in the way of neighbors except for my in-laws right across the street. I've had problems with my dog going crazy every time we stop a car. My dispatchers have a hard time hearing me on the radio because of my dog barking. I just started using an e-collar and that seems to have fixed the problem. Congratulations on getting K-9, it's one of the best jobs in LE!

Comment

Originally posted by ditchdoc24 View Post
      You could try a bark collar but I'd talk to your trainer first. My dog stays in an outdoor kennel and he barks constantly. I don't have much in the way of neighbors except for my in-laws right across the street. I've had problems with my dog going crazy every time we stop a car. My dispatchers have a hard time hearing me on the radio because of my dog barking. I just started using an e-collar and that seems to have fixed the problem. Congratulations on getting K-9, it's one of the best jobs in LE!
      Thanks! Yeah e collar seems like the route

Comment

For bark collars, (or e-collars for that matter) go with a TriTronics and not a Dogtra.
        http://www.facebook.com/workingdogsnh
        www.vandesterke.com

Comment

You can also try a D.A.P. (dog appeasing pheromone) collar. I don't have much experience with them, but the few dogs I have tried them with were successful. There is actually a study being conducted right now specifically looking at using D.A.P. collars when transitioning working dogs to new environments. It will be interesting to see what they come up with.
          "Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned."

Comment

I wouldn't use a bark collar because there are times when you are going to want him to bark, and then he may be reluctant to do so. I always kept my dog inside are part of the "family". Outside He maybe barking out of protection or from some stimulation i.e. other dogs/ animals/ people near by, if hes in the house there maybe less stimulation

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2887 users online. 168 members and 2719 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X