300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Letter to the Chief...

We are doing Interstate work and do not have a dog to help us search the vehicles. We really do not have a II team we do this for overtime or comp time. So any help with a letter would be great.

You mean a letter proposing the formation of a K9 unit? Starting and maintaining a K9 unit is a massive investment, so why should your chief do it? The vast majority of highway drug interdiction seizures are done without a dog.

Comment

Dear Chief,

Woof woof.

Thanks,

Me

Comment

A couple of quick questions that will help me give you an answer:

1. Are you a city PD or a county SO?

2. How many miles of interstate run through your primary jurisdiction?

3. Why are you doing interstate work? (Funded by a grant, city or department wants asset forfeiture, part of a task force, because you believe lots of drugs are passing through your jurisdiction, because you have little activity elsewhere, or just because you can.) I don't ask this to be facetious, but why you are doing it will shape how you present the matter to your chief.

4. How many personnel hours a week does your agency devote to Interstate work?

5. If you are a city PD, do you go outside the city limits doing Interstate work and if so, how far?

6. How much and what type of drugs do yo recover per month on average?

7. How much drung money do you sieze on average per month.

8. How many drug vehicles on average do you sieze each month and what is their average total value?

9. If more than one agency is involved, what is the distribution of assets seized?

10. If more than one agency is involved, does your agency head the group up or is it another department?

11. Is your Interstate work operating under the supervision of a local prosecutor?

At this point you are probably asking yourself WTF??? But, these are valid issue that will shape your Chief's response to a dog request.
        Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

My counsel to you would be to frame your letter to your Chief using the outline our colleague has provided you. Good luck in your efforts.

Comment

Also check with your local business and see if they would be willing to donate a dog to your agency. Check and see if there are federal grants that help start up K-9 units. Do you want a single purpose or dual purpose dog? With that said, make sure you factor other cost involved such as, outfitting a vehicle, providing you a kennel at home, training equipment, food and vet visits, kennel for when you go out of town, dog care maintance and insurance on the dog. Check with NAPWDA to get some assistance with starting your program up.

You'll need to train a minimum of 32 hrs/month. Hopefully you can find a group of handlers from your area you can train with. What would be even better, if the K-9 handlers in your area were happy where they got their dogs from and you go there. So whenever you and your dog are trained up, the guys you consistantly train with, have trained the same way you have and will be able to assist you with any problem you might be experiencing with your dog.

I know I put in a little more than what you asked for but I wanted to make sure you were looking at the big picture. Good luck to you!
            Last edited by Rush817; 04-17-2013, 11:46 AM.
            Strong Body, Sharp Mind And Good Tactics!

Comment

Originally posted by Rush817 View Post
              You'll need to train a minimum of 32 hrs/week.

I have just got to ask if that was a typo?

Comment

Originally posted by VSPClem View Post
                Probably not for his agency. Think of about 2 hours a day, they may do 4 hours a day, or take a whole day for training, different things for different agencies.
                Why do we try so Hard for Little things, and so Little for Hard things?

"There is no happiness without tears; no life without death. Beware, I will give you cause to weep"

R.I.P Hand Sanitizer, you will be missed…

Remember, Gay, Straight, Black, White, or HIV+, on this forum you're "Blue" and that's what matters most.

Comment

It was! I meant 32 hrs/month. The patrol guys act like its 32 hrs/week! hahaha We actually train 40 hrs/month because we're on 10hr shifts and train one day a week.
                  Last edited by Rush817; 04-17-2013, 11:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rush817 View Post
                    It was! I meant 32 hrs/month. The patrol guys act like its 32 hrs/week! hahaha We actually train 40 hrs/month because we're on 10hr shifts and train one day a week.
                    I was about to ask if you guys were hiring. We do about the same, a 20hour monthly inservice and at least 4 hours of dedicated time per week that we do not have inservice. That excludes any work one squeezes in during a regular shift.

Comment

I was about to ask if you guys were hiring. We do about the same, a 20hour monthly inservice and at least 4 hours of dedicated time per week that we do not have inservice. That excludes any work one squeezes in during a regular shift.
                      We are hiring! LOL

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4004 users online. 201 members and 3803 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X