Where did you get your k9

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where did you get your k9

I've been researching narcotic detector dogs and am curious on where you got your partner. Our department K9 is getting up there in years and is about to retire next year. I would love to have our program continue and am very interested in taking over. With state/local budgets being non existent I'm also trying to put together a pricing proposal for admin to chew over.

Has anyone had any experience with World Wide Canine?
    http://www.worldwidecanine.com

Any suggestions and tips are appreciated. PM's are also welcomed.

Thank you in advance!

Have you considered adopting a DoD MWD from Lackland?

http://www.lackland.af.mil/units/341stmwd/index.asp

The price is right...
    sigpic
    A L L G A V E S O M E,  B U T S O M E G A V E A L L

Comment

The Iowa DOC and many other departments in Iowa use http://www.vohneliche.com/

others here use http://www.nik-9.com/ located in NW Iowa..................The owner is a former deputy sheriff in Humboldt Ia.

Comment

Originally posted by Resq14 View Post
        Have you considered adopting a DoD MWD from Lackland?

http://www.lackland.af.mil/units/341stmwd/index.asp

The price is right...
        I would stay away from Lacklands adopt a turd program!! They are giving these dogs away because they have been booted from their process for some reason. Every single Dept. that I know that has tried this route, has had to purchase a dog eventually!!!

I have had 4 dogs, 3 of them came from Vohne Liche Kennels in Indiana. The dogs you get from Vohne Liche are amazing!!!

Me and Ken don't get along well, but his dogs are the best I've ever seen..

My last dog, came from a kennel in Texas and was so so. He rocked in detection, but was a waste of flesh when it came to patrol work.. I won't say the name of the kennel, because I don't think it was their fault and would have given me a diff dog if I had a choice in the matter..

I have also seen dogs that came from no name kennels that I would rock the streets with anyday!!
        "If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck"

Comment

I got my partner from Vohne Liche Kennels he just turned 10 and is still working hard. When he retires, I hope to return for another dog.

Comment

Honestly man every K9 handler is going to say there kennel is AMAZING. The K9 you recieve in your mind will be the best dog out there... My best suggestion is getting a dual purpose dog from a kennel. My K9 can do narcotics, tracking, handler protection, cadaver, article searches, building and area searches.....dont get sold on just a narcotics K9, dogs can do all this with awesome accuracy

The kennel where i recieved my K9 is TOPS kennel in grayslake, IL....due to my location (Alaska) being far away the trainers flew to my duty station and rode with me for 2 weeks and taught my dept. about having and working with a K9
            Last edited by millersppd; 02-06-2011, 12:10 AM.

Comment

USK9.Com I'll let the site do the speaking..

Comment

Originally posted by K9krazy21 View Post
                I would stay away from Lacklands adopt a turd program!! They are giving these dogs away because they have been booted from their process for some reason. Every single Dept. that I know that has tried this route, has had to purchase a dog eventually!!! !
                Weird, we have several in our area who are doing just fine.

The "reason" many dogs are "booted" from their process include simple things like a dog needing more time than the compressed DoD training time-frame will allow, or a simple condition able to be controlled with prescription meds.

"Adopt a turd" is a little insulting to the men and women who run the program, and who try to place dogs who aren't suited for MWD life.
                sigpic
                A L L G A V E S O M E,  B U T S O M E G A V E A L L

Comment

Our dogs come from www.tristatek9.com they do their job. We find dope and bite bad guys when needed. Ive seen good dogs from VLK and Lackland and bad.
                  Was it the dogs or the handlers that just sucked? Handlers can make or break kennels.

If your dog/s do well then go back to where you got them. Unless your looking for more out of your program. If your budgets are tight then flying to Texas should run up some costs,

Comment

If your NOT looking for a dual purpose dog i.e. narcotics / patrol trained K-9 and just single purpose like narcotics then why not check out a rescue program? Especially if your only looking for a narcotics dog which labs make very good partnrs for. Lab rescuse has some amazing dogs that don't cost anything and generally most have already been house broken and have basic obedience like sit stay down etc. Only thing you need to do is pick the right partner and train them. Thats where my agency got nearly 80% of our K-9s from. All including mine turned out great. Just a thought.
                    sigpic
                    Formerly Username k91376
                    " They Took the BAR!! The whole F%$#ING BAR! "

Comment

We purchase all of our dogs from Ameri K-9 training kennels. We have had great success with every dog we have ever bought there. The website is www.amerik9trainingkennels.com

Comment

The "reason" many dogs are "booted" from their process include simple things like a dog needing more time than the compressed DoD training time-frame will allow, or a simple condition able to be controlled with prescription meds.

"Adopt a turd" is a little insulting to the men and women who run the program, and who try to place dogs who aren't suited for MWD life.
                        First and foremost, My last dog and I were certified through the 341st at Lackland!!! I worked with alot of the trainers/instructors during my cert period. I have a first hand knowledge of how hard they work on the dogs there!!

As far as saying that I'm insulting the humans at the 341st, well that's a bit shallow. I know the behind the scenes deal and some things that aren't readily posted on their website or told to the agencies who adopt.

I'm calling it like I have seen it many times!! I admire them giving dogs to LE, it's a step in the right direction. Just so your clear, giving the dogs to LE benefits Lackland as much as it could benefit a Dept.

I'm sure some of the dogs can overcome their issues, but most can't hack police work.

Kinda like having a cadet in the academy get booted... Either they have what it takes or they don't!! I don't want that officer who graduated his academy on the 5th go around. So why would I want a dog that's in the same boat?
                        "If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck"

Comment

Lab Rescue, wouldn't change a thing.

Comment

Got our k9 from lackland, an excellent dog. Trained in Narcotics, Tracking, and Evidence. His downfall is off lead work outdoors, he's got a mind of his own ... err .. he's a dog. I wouldn't hesitate to pick up another from there. There are many reasons why a dog washes out of their programs, some can be due to their handlers. A dog/handler conflict and the dog will wash.

Maybe the reason those departments were getting bad dogs, was the person doing the selection process. We actually paid a trainer to go with to do the dog selection, since he knows what to look for. If none of the dogs were worth it, we wouldn't have come home with a dog.

If you go there dead set on getting a dog, you may end up with dud.

Comment

Originally posted by K9krazy21 View Post
                              I would stay away from Lacklands adopt a turd program
                              I know of at least (5) agenices (including my old one) that grabbed dogs from down there....amazingly enough they are still on the road working....and having no issues.....

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9280 users online. 336 members and 8944 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Working...
                              X