Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Belgian Malinois vs german shepherd...

I am a looking to get in to K9 and trying to put together a grant for my department, as well as start to look at dogs. I have heard good about both, and am looking for duel purpose, (Patrol/Narco). Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
    Why do we try so Hard for Little things, and so Little for Hard things?

"There is no happiness without tears; no life without death. Beware, I will give you cause to weep"

R.I.P Hand Sanitizer, you will be missed…

Remember, Gay, Straight, Black, White, or HIV+, on this forum you're "Blue" and that's what matters most.

Dog selection and training is more important than the particular breed. It also depends on which company you go through to locate a new partner and the training.

http://www.nndda.org/

See if you've got a Texas Canine Association. You can pick their brain as well.
    NRA Life Member

The police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence. - Sir Robert Peel

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. - H. L. Mencken

Comment

Originally posted by Sgt. Slaughter View Post
      Dog selection and training is more important than the particular breed. It also depends on which company you go through to locate a new partner and the training.

http://www.nndda.org/

See if you've got a Texas Canine Association. You can pick their brain as well.

I agree....................... Both breeds are excellent choices for GP dogs but based one my experience for what it's worth I would choose a GSD over the Malinois for your first dog. The GSD is an excellent all rounder and very steady the best choice for a novice handler. The Malinois is a super GP dog but difficult to handle and for me a little tunnelled vision when it comes to crowd problems, They are a bit of a handful for a young handler,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
      "That's funny, he's never done that before!"

Comment

We are also trying to putr together a K-9 program, I've been trying to find a grant, and cant. Care to share the wealth??

Comment

Originally posted by Jrob33 View Post
          We are also trying to putr together a K-9 program, I've been trying to find a grant, and cant. Care to share the wealth??
          I've never seen grant info out there for K-9's.... Equipment maybe...but not for the dogs themselves....Someone on here a while back claimed there was....but they never reposted..... which is par for the course around here at times.....

Look to DOD. Real easy to do.... Go to their website, find a dog that they are offering that you like, do the paperwork, then go get it.... And yes, you have to drive/fly to Lackland AFB in San Antonio, TX to get it.....

Training is on you....but you just saved yourself 10K easily by getting a free dog....

http://www.lackland.af.mil/units/341stmwd/index.asp

Comment

Every Malinois I've ever seen is crazy, good at what they do, but craaaaaaazy. One of my buddies is a K9 officer and I believe the agency got it through a grant...I'll ask him and see what he says and get the info if it can be provided.
            Moooooooooooo, I'm a goat

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcat357 View Post
              I've never seen grant info out there for K-9's.... Equipment maybe...but not for the dogs themselves....Someone on here a while back claimed there was....but they never reposted..... which is par for the course around here at times.....

Look to DOD. Real easy to do.... Go to their website, find a dog that they are offering that you like, do the paperwork, then go get it.... And yes, you have to drive/fly to Lackland AFB in San Antonio, TX to get it.....

Training is on you....but you just saved yourself 10K easily by getting a free dog....

http://www.lackland.af.mil/units/341stmwd/index.asp

Ive looked into it, and considered it. Ive seen some Really good dogs come from Lackland, but I've seen ALOT of worthless dogs come frm Lackland. Gotta figure they wash them out for a reason.... We pretty much have a source lined up for the dog, but I am having a hard time finding ANY grants for a K-9. We can swing the price of the dog, but a grant for equipment would seriously help.

Comment

GSD are great all around dogs. Smart, strong, fast, but they can be sneaky and underhanded. They like to get over on you in little ways, like standing on your foot when heeling, or making you tell them to do something twice. They are a battle of wits.

BM's are fur coated chainsaws on meth. Way higher drive to do just about anything that is fun. The GSD will bite someone because you asked him to. The BM has to be reminded that 99% of people are not for biting. They see the world as a collection of differently sized chew toys, while GSD see the world as a bunch of different locations to sit quietly and plot world domination.

I would go with a GSD, or the rare mellow BM for a first dog. BM's are a riot, but you have to be ready for their shenanigans.

M-11
                “All men dream...... But not equally..
                Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it is vanity;
                but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men,
                for they act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible.....”

TE Lawrence

Comment

Less BS and quicker access to funds - check your local civic groups. Lions, Elks, etc. Most of those can be easily convinced to cough up $$$ for something such as K9 equipment.
                  NRA Life Member

The police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence. - Sir Robert Peel

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. - H. L. Mencken

Comment

Originally posted by M-11 View Post
                    BM's are fur coated chainsaws on meth. Way higher drive to do just about anything that is fun.

I would go with a GSD, or the rare mellow BM for a first dog. BM's are a riot, but you have to be ready for their shenanigans.

M-11
                    M,

you better be glad I'm on a Toughbook right now because I just spewed Pepsi across my keyboard That is the quote of the summer! Even though my BM is rather calm, considering the breed, but when he gets wound up, be ready! Of course he's still a baby, whelped a little early so he hasn't gone "Ham" yet, but he shows flashes of it every now and then.
                    DRE - ARIDE - TRAFFIC SAFETY OFFICER CERTIFIED - FTO - BACKGROUND INVESTIGATOR

DEDICATED TO REMOVING UNSAFE DRIVERS AND VEHICLES FROM SOUTH CAROLINA ROADWAYS

#FridayLightsForSafety #TargetZeroSC

Follow STP on Twitter @STP_CRO

Comment

Not a lot of grants out there, I've spend a couple of years looking. Most of the grants out there are for a specific kennel company and their training. So if you aren't in the area, not worth applying for.

I agree with the above post. We've gotten great donations through fundraisers and donations from local businesses. We work really close with Petco, they have been awesome to deal with in setting up fund raisers. The last one they did for us, they did all the work, we just had to show up and speak. Also if you run an add in your paper and so forth for public support. It will take a little bit of time, but you can do it. An agency just north of me got their entire program started from one Wal Mart Donation, so they might be good to check into.

As for breed, I've worked both. First dog was a shepherd and am currently working a mal. Again, I agree with the above post in that for your first dog, I would consider a shepherd. They are proven dogs and will work great. Mals, unless you have a firm hand and some training background, they can be a little hard to control. What I noticed to is a shepherd is easier to read then a mal. Just my 2 cents. Good luck!

Comment

Several agencies have used Justice Assistance Grants for funding the startup cost of their Canine Unit. Not sure where that funding is now, they bumped it up as part of the stimulus but the money isn't consistently available from what I understand.

Comment

We have a PD nearby that has applied through Homeland security funding because they have shipyards with Navy contracts. They have not heard back yet. Also go with GS first first dog. They wanted to give me a mali for my first one, he was freakin nuts. Way to much dog for a newbie

Comment

I've had both a Mal and a GSD, the difference I found is that the GSD will work hard to please you, the MAL will work even harder to please himself. Seriously it all depends on the personality of a particular dog. As far as grants- MILKBONE use to have the 'canine heroes' program to over grants in the $5,000 range for canine units- usually in conjunction with a grocery store, contact corporate to see if they still do this (DEL MONTE). Another thought is a fundraiser/auction at a local restaurant or bar. The problem with this a lot of departments frown upon fundraisers-makes them look bad- so tread carefully with this one. A way to get around this is start or join a working dog group in your area, or partner up with a Lions Club, Elks etc.

Comment

My first dog was a GSD and now I have a Maligator. I love them both, but agree for a new handler/K-9 team, get a GSD to start. I work patrol/EOD and have with both dogs. The GSD taught me alot, but this Mal is another game altogether. Mals are very hyper and want to bite. If it is a single purpose "bite" dog, you can't beat a Mal. Don't get me wrong, with the right training and experience, I have trained my Mal to be better at both than my GSD ever was, but I think for a department that doesn't have dogs yet, get ole reliable first.
                              When others are home in their beds, safe at night, we are out there risking all to protect them. Who would you rather have next to you? A person that thinks, or a dog that BITES!!!

K-9 "Brax" you are missed!

sigpic

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3627 users online. 213 members and 3414 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X