300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jed, The English Springer Spaniel

I thought you might enjoy the follow true story concerning one of our dogs which had be sourced and trained for contractors in Afganistan in April this year.

The contractor out there is employing Filipino handlers, and are stationed with NATO Canadian forces based in Southern Afganistan. The handlers are fairly poorly paid and tere is a lack of in-service training, the little lads of course don't know what it's all about they just go out and hunt for their toy.

Three months ago one of the dogs I trained, a Springer named Jed was out with a Canadian patrol when they got bumped by the Taliban. Took a lot of small arms fire, AK's and RPG and they decided to withdraw. The handler bugged out and left Jed, when they got back to base (25 kilometres) the handler told everyone the dog ran off, the troops for course told a different story. The dog is very popular with the Canadian lads because he found a large IED outside the camp earlier in the week, so they organised several patrols to try and locate him, but to no avail and sadly it was assumed he had been KIA.

Five days later one of the guards spotted and animal approaching the post, fearing an attack the troops prepared to stand off and open fire, when one of the guards recognised Jed steadily plodding his way toward the main gate. He had a rapturous welcome, he was well hydrated and looked well fed it is a complete mystery how he survived. But he always was a character and was a joy to train, I am sad he is there.... you know some say that springers are difficult to handle, but I have found them wonderful to train and work, they are very special little guys................
    Last edited by Eurodog; 10-04-2009, 01:13 PM.
    "That's funny, he's never done that before!"

Way to go Jed, glad he made it back to base. As for the "handler", I hope he's been reassigned.

Comment

Originally posted by k9 max View Post
      Way to go Jed, glad he made it back to base. As for the "handler", I hope he's been reassigned.
      Maybe the handler should be made to go out and "sniff" around for IEDs.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6460 users online. 352 members and 6108 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
      Working...
      X