300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reserve K-9 Deputy?

Hello everyone. I'm a reserve deputy at my county department. We as reserves at the department are sworn deputies and have full arrest powers. I am very interested in K-9 police work. At the department we only have 1 K-9. I have a 1 1/2 year old doberman. He is very attentative and well behaved. I have found K-9 police training at a local place. I am willing to pay for the training myself. What is everyones opinions on reserve K-9 units? Are there any departments that have reserve K-9 deputies? Would a doberman make a good police dog? Thanks to everyone in advance for your comments and opinions.

brandon911

Already posted this in your other thread, but figured I'd post again to see if the dog cops agree with me...

Maybe there are departments that do it, but the liability and personal commitment wouldn't be worth it for a reserve or part time job. It's not like all the car where you leave it at the station and pick it up when you come in as a reserve or part time officer, it stays at home with you, and responsible for it 100% of the time. If you ever go full time, then yes it's worth it all if its something you're interested in.

Comment

Thank you for your comment. I already own the dog. I spend a lot of time with him.

brandon911

Comment

Originally posted by brandon911 View Post
        Hello everyone. I'm a reserve deputy at my county department. We as reserves at the department are sworn deputies and have full arrest powers. I am very interested in K-9 police work. At the department we only have 1 K-9. I have a 1 1/2 year old doberman. He is very attentative and well behaved. I have found K-9 police training at a local place. I am willing to pay for the training myself. What is everyones opinions on reserve K-9 units? Are there any departments that have reserve K-9 deputies? Would a doberman make a good police dog? Thanks to everyone in advance for your comments and opinions.

brandon911

From the dog standpoint in my view the Doberman would not be a good choice for a GP (Patrol) Dog. Originally trained for military applications. GP dogs are trained for up to 24 tasks and the dog should be evaluated in light of the duties he is required to undertake, it goes beyond temprement (although important).

In my career I have known one or two Dobermans deployed to these duties but in the main one is better to look towards the GSD or Malinois. If you go the route of looking at your dog get it professionally evaluated......
        "That's funny, he's never done that before!"

Comment

Also consider how many hours you volunteer for your department? Will you be on-call with the dog? Around here, volunteers must work 20 hours a month in most departments, I'd say that the time and money investment will not be worth it if you're only going to work 20-40 hours a month.

Comment

Training

I am not an expert and only have been a dog handler since April of this yr. I have a male German Shepard Tracking/Patrol.
            I am currently in Iraq I am in the Reserve Military Police but was brought on in a program, Combat Tracking Dog which after 9weeks with Vohne Liche Kennals was to go for a yr.
            So for your own personal dog which he is, have him trained it is a world like no other the way you train a working dog and do it in Chek/german if you want. In the 80's the military went through 5 different breeds to determine the best for the job. The dobe is more in that Centry dog mind set, force protection ect. The Mals ,shepards, won at that. Depending on what you want out of a working dog they can still do there jobs all types of dogs are used for detection but for Bite dogs it is what above and your can without a dout do the same, safeguard your home and family.
            Take care and good luck.
            Last edited by MP-K-9; 09-26-2009, 08:32 PM.
            "whys the sky blue? because god loves the Infantry"

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5377 users online. 282 members and 5095 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X