Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Paying own way through K9 handler school.

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paying own way through K9 handler school.

I'm a officer with 5 years in patrol thinking about paying my own way through a K9 handlers course. Right now I'm in Iraq training the Iraqi military. Had to put law enforcement on hold for a year to pay the bills. Thinking about going to a handlers course on return to the states. Would this help when looking for a K9 position? My old department has no K9 units. Would this be a benefit or a waste of money. If it would be a benefit, what K9 schools would be worth the time, and money that would give me a greater chance of landing a position as a K9 officer. Looking forward to getting back on the street. Any, and all advice is greatly appreciated.

Originally posted by unit 553 View Post
    I'm a officer with 5 years in patrol thinking about paying my own way through a K9 handlers course. Right now I'm in Iraq training the Iraqi military. Had to put law enforcement on hold for a year to pay the bills. Thinking about going to a handlers course on return to the states. Would this help when looking for a K9 position? My old department has no K9 units. Would this be a benefit or a waste of money. If it would be a benefit, what K9 schools would be worth the time, and money that would give me a greater chance of landing a position as a K9 officer. Looking forward to getting back on the street. Any, and all advice is greatly appreciated.

There will be lines of people waiting to take your money and have you go through a 'handler school'. Professional trainers/instructors base their training on approximately $1200/E1000 per week, I personally do not see any benefit in what I would see as throwing money away (but if you insist on throwning it away please PM me!), seriously I would concenrate on settling back to civilian policing with a department with a Unit. Alternately back to your old agency, and perhaps when your settled back in having a word with the Chief about establishing a K9 Unit through funding and/or public subscription.

I can not see any chief of police having serious objections to increasing his resources, with no loss, at no or little financial cost to his budget. You need to attend the initial course with your dog. If you want to increase your knowledge base develope some contacts with local departments who have a K9 Unit, very few will turn down an officer who shows an interest in learning decoy work, this was entry level for a lot of us and gives you a good grounding and basic knowledge of training and canine behaviour. Sport dog work is also a good start for a knowledge base (Ring/KNPV etc), providing you understand that sports is not police dog training , very similar, one might say two horses pulling the same cart but it will get you started.

There are bunches of people who have set themselves up to train prospective police dog handlers, and frankly in the States you can't tell the players without a programme.....................good luck..
    "That's funny, he's never done that before!"

Comment

I don't know of any "training schools" that would certify you as a "trainer" without the experience of training and handling a dog. Most of your certification groups (NAPWDA, IPWDA etc.) require you to have handled a dog and assisted in the training of several dogs before you can be considered a trainer. As far as getting a dog at your agency, I would think that any experience you can get in handling/ training dogs would give you an advantage over anyone who did not have it.
      Good luck.....

Comment

Not looking to become a trainer, just a handler for now. Trainer down the road a few years after working as a handler. Thanks for the info!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bulzi View Post
          I don't know of any "training schools" that would certify you as a "trainer" without the experience of training and handling a dog. Most of your certification groups (NAPWDA, IPWDA etc.) require you to have handled a dog and assisted in the training of several dogs before you can be considered a trainer. As far as getting a dog at your agency, I would think that any experience you can get in handling/ training dogs would give you an advantage over anyone who did not have it.
          Good luck.....
          In respect of being rated as a Trainer or Master Trainer (whatever that is?) I thinks it's who you know in the organisation and not your experience or background. I know a couple of people elevated to the lofty heights of 'Master Trainer' who could train a monkey on a stick, and frankly are a menace...... But I have recently joined a new association so I live in hope...........
          "That's funny, he's never done that before!"

Comment

Originally posted by unit 553 View Post
            By time you purchase a dog and attend a quality school you will have spent a fair amount of money. I guy in my department tried it and failed. Now he is stuck with a dog at home . I would get hired first and then work your way into canine.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 158588 users online. 143 members and 158445 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on Today.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X