300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Off Duty Responses

I am a new handler and would like some help with a few questions. I have a take home car and live about 25 miles from the city I work in.

Does anyone run code when responding from off duty to a call out?

What are the benefits of joining NNDDA, USPCA, etc?

Are you on call rotaion as a patrol officer or just traffic enforcement and interdiction?

Any other suggestions or comments are welcome to help out a new handler. Thanks in advance

> I live about the same miles away also. Depending on the severity of the call I notify my hometowns dispatch of the call and utilize lights, siren only when necessary per their SOP.

> Once on the highway I only use the equipment to get around slower moving vehicles and thru 4 ways to warn oncoming traffic I am going thru.

> When I reach the county line then I utilize our PDs policy on emergency equipment.

Comment

Running code...pretty much what Phil said. Common sense prevails, most likely if it is important enough to call you in for a track, it can be considered an emergency. If it is for a drug sniff, I would say no, even with a time line issue!!

Joining an organization....I assume you certify through a national organization anyway??? If not, you should. Case law requires that you be "tested" as a team, doing this through a national organization gives you a lot of backing in court.

On call....we have 2 dogs, we have an other other week call list. We are not required to come in, even when on call (since we are not paid to be on call) but between the 2 of us we make pretty much every call out. We are both also part of or manpower so we also get our regular OT with the rest of the department.

Good luck, have fun with your new career!!!

Comment

Originally posted by lee4160 View Post
        I am a new handler and would like some help with a few questions. I have a take home car and live about 25 miles from the city I work in.

Does anyone run code when responding from off duty to a call out?

What are the benefits of joining NNDDA, USPCA, etc?

Are you on call rotaion as a patrol officer or just traffic enforcement and interdiction?

Any other suggestions or comments are welcome to help out a new handler. Thanks in advance

Most of my off duty call outs require a quick response. I only live 9 miles from town so it is much easier for me. Time can be an issue

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3625 users online. 164 members and 3461 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X