300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seperation Anxiety and meds

I have a two year old Belgian malinios that has some significant separation anxiety issues. When kenneled, the dog spins and spins to the point that it creates front leg/shoulder pain the following day. Other times the spinning has caused a spot to rub off on its hind quarter and bleeding has taken place. I am considering some separation anxiety meds, such as clomicalm, to help in retraining but am wondering if anyone has previous experience with this med and if it effects a dogs performance. The malinois is an explosive detection/tracking dog.

Originally posted by michigank93 View Post
    I have a two year old Belgian malinios that has some significant separation anxiety issues. When kenneled, the dog spins and spins to the point that it creates front leg/shoulder pain the following day. Other times the spinning has caused a spot to rub off on its hind quarter and bleeding has taken place. I am considering some separation anxiety meds, such as clomicalm, to help in retraining but am wondering if anyone has previous experience with this med and if it effects a dogs performance. The malinois is an explosive detection/tracking dog.
    All as I can say is that Meds are the road to DOOM! To be fair we would have to know a bit more about the situation, diagosing a problem without seeing the dog is near impossible........

If it's not prying how come you have a cross trained Explosive Detection Dog with Tracking? If your dog is that hyper you might question his suitability for the job he's doing................
    "That's funny, he's never done that before!"

Comment

That is a difficult one. I am guessing that your dog has been seen by a vet? Do you exercise him well before kenneling, to make him calm and tired?

I did work with a handler who had a similar thing going on a number of years ago. His Mal would do the same at home and at work, the spinning and never relaxing. The only thing that helped was a lot of exercise. So the handler adjusted his exercise around running the dog before kenneling.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 158246 users online. 125 members and 158121 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on Today.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
      Working...
      X