300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice

I'm the new K-9 handler for my department and will be getting my new partner any day now. I am sceduled to start my 14 weeks of training at the begining of next month. I really don't have a lot of experience as a handler, but I am good with dogs. (usally). I was wonder if some of you experienced handlers can give me any advice on my new undertaking. I've been told that when I first get my partner, I should try to bond with him as much as I can before my training starts. Whats the best way to do this.

Any advice you wish you had when you first got started would be nice. Thanks
    If you can read this..... Thank a teacher
    If you can read this in English..... Thank a veteran
    Iraq war veteran and proud!

Best advise I can give is DO WHAT YOUR TRAINERS TELL YOU TO DO!!
    Remember, your dog will be experiencing ALOT of new things....handler, home, training, language, dogs....etc. I know everyone wants their dog to learn everything like yesterday, be patient, he will pick everything up in due time!!

Good luck, and most importantly....HAVE FUN!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bulzi View Post
      Best advise I can give is DO WHAT YOUR TRAINERS TELL YOU TO DO!!
      Remember, your dog will be experiencing ALOT of new things....handler, home, training, language, dogs....etc. I know everyone wants their dog to learn everything like yesterday, be patient, he will pick everything up in due time!!

Good luck, and most importantly....HAVE FUN!!!!
      Everything Bulzi says is absolutly right. But no dog and pony shows at first (you know an outing with the press etc.), not until you have finished your training and well in the driving seat......other than that lots of 'hands on' and grooming (your trainers will tell you all about that)...Enjoy every minute.....
      "That's funny, he's never done that before!"

Comment

Originally posted by Eurodog View Post
        Everything Bulzi says is absolutly right. But no dog and pony shows at first (you know an outing with the press etc.), not until you have finished your training and well in the driving seat......other than that lots of 'hands on' and grooming (your trainers will tell you all about that)...Enjoy every minute.....

Bulzi and Eurodog are right. I found that with a new dog, lots of time together, play, and establishing leadership are a must. A small point for you. To help the bond grow quickly, I have actually hand fed the dog(not just the food in the bowl) for the first few days. Some may disagree, but showing you are leader and provider, go a long way to establish pack leader, and the trust and bond you will need. You are going to love that job!

Comment

Watch, Listen, Learn and have fun its a blast!!!!!

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I am very excited about what is ahead of me in this career. I've been told that it's both the most challenging assignment and most rewarding as well.

As far as the,"Hands on Gromming" is concerned, I've already been told about that with our other handler! Thanks for the advice, anything else you can think of would be nice.
            If you can read this..... Thank a teacher
            If you can read this in English..... Thank a veteran
            Iraq war veteran and proud!

Comment

You have been given great advice. I am also a new handler, I have been on the street with my partner for roughly two months. I had the priviledge of bringing my partner home with me two weeks prior to our school training, which I believed was the way to go when it came to bonding. In the the two weeks, he became adapted to his new home, his new parents (my wife and I) and his new siblings (I have two other dogs). In school, he seemed to understand that he was supposed to do what I said because he bonded with me prior to starting school. I would walk him, jog him or bike with him, spend time with him in general and the bond will come. Good luck, have fun.

Comment

Originally posted by nebraskacop View Post
                Thanks for the advice. I am very excited about what is ahead of me in this career. I've been told that it's both the most challenging assignment and most rewarding as well.

As far as the,"Hands on Gromming" is concerned, I've already been told about that with our other handler! Thanks for the advice, anything else you can think of would be nice.

Grooming is a big one. My first dog actually would sometimes fall asleep when he was being brushed out. Not only for grooming, but for a dog to be generally more compliant, a little ball time or exercise before you start a task helps them get the ants out so to speak and lets them settle down.

Comment

Spend time with your new partner. I played alot of ball with my partner and brushed him alot. We developed a bond very quick and now he is attached to my hip. I took him with me while off duty in a crate in my truck alot. The trick is spending time with him. Praise is huge in training. When he gets it, show excitement and he will become more eager to please YOU. Have fun with it, it is the funnest thing I've done in cop work.

Comment

Trying to lighten the mood here:

Train your dog to shyte on command (empty is a good one)...it helps so that they arent screwing around smelling stuff when you dont have time or need to run a job....Also train him to shyte in the woods so you dont have to pick it up

Comment

Originally posted by joerod80 View Post
                      Trying to lighten the mood here:

Train your dog to shyte on command (empty is a good one)...it helps so that they arent screwing around smelling stuff when you dont have time or need to run a job....Also train him to shyte in the woods so you dont have to pick it up
                      OK.....I'm for that, what's your command. Mine is 'Go play, be quick!'
                      "That's funny, he's never done that before!"

Comment

Mine gets "take a break" and if I'm in a hurry "quickly" is added. He likes to back into spots where it's difficult for me to pick up and nobody will step on it.

Comment

Hurry up is mine

Comment

I have the ever so feminine "go poddy" but then again I am a female....but he's a big mal so nobody makes fun of him ....

Comment

'BE QUICK' normally but somtimes 'NOT IN THE ****ING BUILDING OH MY GOD ITS CARPET ITS GOING TO STAIN, WHY DO YOU ALWAYS SAVE THE WORST ONES WHEN WE ARE AT A JOB!!!!!' this is normally followed by more swearing when your finger goes through the bag and it gets under your nail, come on be honest guys it happens to us all
                              'Not By Strength, By Guile'

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6104 users online. 315 members and 5789 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X