300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• being selected as a K9 officer

I have been in law enforcement for 1 1/2 years now and have decided that I want my career to head in the direction of K9 handler. I help my department's two K9 handlers train with their partners every chance I get and have gotten a lot of knowledge from them about reading the dogs' body language and such.

I'm looking for some suggestions on how I can persuade my Lt and Chief to give me the upcoming K9 position. Any suggestions will be much appreciated.

Originally posted by p_jenkins View Post
    I have been in law enforcement for 1 1/2 years now and have decided that I want my career to head in the direction of K9 handler. I help my department's two K9 handlers train with their partners every chance I get and have gotten a lot of knowledge from them about reading the dogs' body language and such.

I'm looking for some suggestions on how I can persuade my Lt and Chief to give me the upcoming K9 position. Any suggestions will be much appreciated.
    Do you have all of your ducks in line ? meaning, is your house ready for a K9, is your family ok with you bringing in another member to the "pack" (assuming you have a family)

It really doesn't matter if you have any formal training as a handler,most agencies will send you to handler school ; but it is useful and looks good on paper to have some sort of training before-hand.

Can you get any letters of recommendation from fellow officers petitioning that you are the right guy for the job ?

A lot of agencies look at work ethic so, do you make stops often and basically do your job to the best of your ability ?

I would say just make sure all of the above is secure and you should be good to go

good luck and hope you get the position! keep us updated

Comment

Others here may disagree, but in my opinion you simply haven't been on the job long enough yet to get a feel for police work, let alone being in K9. I would suggest continue on with what you've been doing by helping out your K9 unit and learning as much as you can. Offer to lay a track, or hide in a building during their training days. But more important, learn to be a good street cop first. Almost all the guys I work with got into K9 after working the road for 10-15 years first.

Comment

Take what I say with a grain of salt, Im new to the forum. K9 Sam & K9 Max make good points. My dept. is just now getting another dog after years of relying on another dept. I was hand selected by the chief for the position, I have only 4 years on the job. Its all about work ethics and having a good head on your shoulders. Im very proactive, lots of stops and lots of collars. I like to shake things up a bit. Dont use a lot of sick time. Most important, in my opinion is to want K9 for the right reasons. You will get there. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by k9 max View Post
          Others here may disagree, but in my opinion you simply haven't been on the job long enough yet to get a feel for police work, let alone being in K9. I would suggest continue on with what you've been doing by helping out your K9 unit and learning as much as you can. Offer to lay a track, or hide in a building during their training days. But more important, learn to be a good street cop first. Almost all the guys I work with got into K9 after working the road for 10-15 years first.
          I looked over your threat and was tempted to post, I'm glad K9max did, I'm afraid to say that he's right. Under a minimum of 5 years service (longer would be better) would give you the street experience to undertake these duties..... I hope you eventually get a slot, it's the best LE job out there..........
          "That's funny, he's never done that before!"

Comment

The worst day in dog section beats the best day doing anything else! I wish you luck, it's a great job. But I would agree that you should do your best to be an all round officer and get some more experience. Keep up the work with K9 and learn as much as you can.

When you are handling a dog, it's good to have all the other things you have to process and think about as an officer settled first. That way you can concentrate on your dog, and have him "show you the way" so to speak. Best of luck. You will love it!

Comment

Hey man it took me 6 years to get on our k-9 unit. You must be a patrol officer for 3 years before they will even look at you in my PD. If you really want k-9 keep training with your guys like you do and just get some time under your belt. It will be there when the time is right.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3221 users online. 154 members and 3067 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X