300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bomb Dog

Has anyone here gone through the bomb dog school at Lackland AFB in Texas? I was wondering how the class was structured and what your thoughts are on the class. There is a off chance I may be attending in the near future, and I would like to have an idea what to expect.

Thanks.
    There are no extraordinary men... just extraordinary circumstances that ordinary men are forced to deal with.
    William Halsey

No but have been through European courses....have you ever ever been a dog handler prior to being selected for an Explo dog?
    "That's funny, he's never done that before!"

Comment

No prior dog handling experience. Just the interview and being told to be ready for a 10 week stay in Texas on very short notice. The positions are federally funded and not on any kind of schedule. They seem pop up unexpectedly.
      There are no extraordinary men... just extraordinary circumstances that ordinary men are forced to deal with.
      William Halsey

Comment

Thought the only civilians at lackland were TSA?

Comment

Originally posted by Defender06 View Post
          Negitive.

TSA pays for the programs as there are a ton of Civilian LEOs (usually Airport) that go through that program. I know a couple of guys that went through Lackland as St. Louis City Airport Police Officers a few years back.

Are there any TSA K-9 teams even out there? I read in another thread that they are going to start some after the first of the year but as far as I know the only TSA folks that are doing K-9 stuff are some sort of coordinators for the different Airports, and they don't work dogs.

As least that's what I have seen in my dealings plus what I have seen on USAJOBs.

Comment

Originally posted by Defender06 View Post
            http://www.lackland.af.mil/units/341stmwd/index.asp

Comment

From my understanding notwithstanding whatever agency or department who deploy dogs at airports the FAA insist that the dogs have been trained and provided through Lackland. Which is understandable as no doubt they wish to establish an overall Standard for explosive detection dogs working US airports.

Having said that a short while ago I was in the office watching CNN (too early for Naked News), a passenger aircraft on route to Chicago from the UK had been diverted to Boston, due to a female passenger acting irratically. Anyway they pulled the baggage onto the tarmac and ran a dog over the bags. It was not too impressive, the handler dragged this malinois on lead over the bags....would have been a piece of cake off lead........
              "That's funny, he's never done that before!"

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4424 users online. 256 members and 4168 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X