300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kennel Question/Rain proofing

Hi, I am a frequent reader but I do not post much. I have a question regarding everyone's home kennel. I am a new handler and I have a nice, good sized kennel that is sun proof, wind proof etc. My question is what you do to rain proof the kennel in winter. A straight tarp? Or some other type of covering? Thanks.

Tarps work good, but you will want to put a peak on it or have it on a decent angle so snow and rain do not sit on it....no matter how tight you think you have it, it will hold water if it is flat!!!
    Another thing to consider with a tarp is the wind....if you get alot of wind where your kennel is, the edges of the kennel tend to wear it out fast and you will most likely need to replace the tarp every couple years.
    I would suggest metal roofing, its lighter than putting a shingle roof on and will last forever.
    Good luck.....

Comment

Thanks for the info

Comment

I can't remember the exact name of the stuff but it's like a green fiberglass "frilly" sheet. I used some 2x4 on top of the fencing and attached the fiberglass sheets to it on a slant(so the water/snow will run down). Should last a while. Don't know what kind of winds or cold you get but I've heard of guys in the arctic hanging plywood on the kennel fence to break the wind for the dog. Probably not a huge concern in the U.S.

Comment

I used a tarp last year, and we get enough wind that it was ruined in one year, plus the noise of the tarp constantly flapping in the wind was enough to drive me crazy. The tarp is a good temporary solution, but I'm going to have to move on to better ideas.

Comment

I bought a kennel at Menards and it came with a peaked roof. It has fence style post frame and a heavy tarp type fitted roof. I fastened it with wire ties insted of the supplied bungee cords. It has been through two winters now with no problems. My kennel is only 5x10 right now, but I am getting ready to bump it out to 10 x 10. I have already purchased a new roof assembly. It was a breeze to put together and it has lasted so far.
            Here is a link to what I have. Hope this helps.

http://www.coastalfarm.com/ah_luckydog.html

Comment

Awesome, thanks.

Comment

For those 10'X5' kennels like the one pictured in the link below, do you think it would work to place it against a wall and take the 2 panels from the side that is along the wall and make it a 20'X5'. It would then be attached to the wall. Or would this cause problems with the roof that was with it?
                Go ahead and run, we like that!

Comment

The roof on mine attaches directly to the fence panels andx the roof is 5 x 10. I thought about going against the wall, problem is some dog ligs to bounce and I don't want my siding getting trashed. I purchased a new roof assembly for mine so I can go to 10 x 10. I'll pick up two more panels and I'll be set. It is heavy enough that I don't have it bolted to the concrete. I can move it a bit to make cleaning easier.

Comment

My wall is block and would not be siding. I thought about building an attachment so the panels would bolt to a piece of wood instead of in the block and possible running a pipe along the stretch from the 2 pieces of wood so that I could get 2 roof sections and run it the whole 20'.
                    Go ahead and run, we like that!

Comment

Sounds like that would work.

Comment

even if you have a pitch on a roof with a tarp, the snow will sit on it if it is heavy enough...that green plastic roofing works great (kinda looks like a big lasagna noodle)...it's next on my kennel improvement list

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5504 users online. 310 members and 5194 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X