300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by angeredmgmt View Post
    I was fitted yesterday for a vest, and I'm presuming it is a Point Blank Hi-Lite due to the order form only stating "Hi Lite W/ AXIIIA 2 CARRIERS" and "BLAUER ARMORSKIN XP WOOL BLEND VEST CARRIER." Anyone have any experience with this setup? I've had armor from different companies over the years, but it has been a long time since I last fitted. I think my vest I retired in was a hair past 5 years old when I retired the last day of '15, so I don't remember which company that one was let alone what the other companies were other than the major brands.

Come to think of it, I was actually fitted and received a vest about a year before I retired, but I never wore it since it was too thick and the carrier had no tails. I just continued with my old vest knowing I was going to retire in the near future.
    I think that's the panels I got for my last department. If it's the same ones they're the thinnest IIIA panels they got. We got the uniform outer carriers they sold with the panels.

The panels were thin and lite but the bottom edges tended to curl up by the belt line.

Comment

I've never worn an exterior carrier, and there were some company's carriers I liked over the others having to due with the velcro straps. Some got stretched out too much where you just couldn't get a good fit anymore. Personally, I liked the wider straps since they didn't suffer from stretching. We will just have to see.
      I didn't like how they looked and wanted to keep the traditional carriers. Then one day I went on a mid summer day call with the fire department. Watched the firefighters take off their turnouts to cool down before going back in. I was stuck wearing that vest under my uniform shirt the whole time. That changed my opinion about outer vests.

You don't get as sweaty and hot with the outer vests and they are super easy to take on and off. My body camera stays attached to my vest the hole time as well. Feels more comfortable too!

Comment

Originally posted by westside popo View Post

I didn't like how they looked and wanted to keep the traditional carriers. Then one day I went on a mid summer day call with the fire department. Watched the firefighters take off their turnouts to cool down before going back in. I was stuck wearing that vest under my uniform shirt the whole time. That changed my opinion about outer vests.

You don't get as sweaty and hot with the outer vests and they are super easy to take on and off. My body camera stays attached to my vest the hole time as well. Feels more comfortable too!
        I remember years ago when outer vests were just starting to appear, and I think most of us were against them because a bad guy could grab it to control you in a scuffle. The other reason is the bad guy can physically see your vest so he can shoot you where there's no vest. We went from white T-shirts to black ones because of the supposed 'death V' or whatever they called it, so exterior vests were considered similarly as being a negative.

Time went by when finally an officer or two were picked to wear an exterior vest. They both told me that they were both happy for the same reason you say - they can take it off to cool down while in a safe environment.

As for load-bearing vests, I'm sure my old department would have looked at them as being to militaristic. We had black BDUs as an alternative uniform, and when our new department head came in, he did away with it due to the uniform appearing too militaristic looking for civilian LE.

Comment

I've never worn an exterior carrier, and there were some company's carriers I liked over the others having to due with the velcro straps. Some got stretched out too much where you just couldn't get a good fit anymore. Personally, I liked the wider straps since they didn't suffer from stretching. We will just have to see.
          If the XP is built like the normal Armorskin, then there are really no straps to get stretched out (the regular Armorskin uses the manufacturer's carrier and the exterior just fits around it, with solid material over the shoulders and zippered sides). So, sag from the straps stretching was never really an issue.
          "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
          -Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

As for load-bearing vests, I'm sure my old department would have looked at them as being to militaristic. We had black BDUs as an alternative uniform, and when our new department head came in, he did away with it due to the uniform appearing too militaristic looking for civilian LE.
            That was the biggest pushback between the patrol and admin before we finally got load-bearing vests (to give you an idea, we have a chief who actually went BACK to leather duty gear from nylon because it "looked more professional"). The funny thing is, since we've switched to load-bearing vests, the only people who really notice or say anything are either other LEO's or the people we work with on a regular basis (courts, prosecutors, family services, etc). I can think of maybe 2-3 citizens who either noticed or cared enough to comment, and never negatively (especially when I'd mention how much weight it takes off your back).

Despite what so many old school types think, the average citizen wouldn't care if you showed up in a clown nose and big floppy shoes as long as you solve their problem.
            "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
            -Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

The funny thing is, I could wear an external... I've been issued two... but prefer the internal.

...because it looks more professional, and is more comfortable to wear while it's on.

...but I also wear basket weave leather and leather jump boots.

I also use Back Defender internal suspenders.
              Last edited by tanksoldier; 06-05-2021, 08:55 PM.
              "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

• Aidokea
                Aidokea commented
                Editing a comment
                You wear nut snappers? I didn't think anybody used those anymore. A lot of younger officers probably wouldn't know what was going on if they saw one of their beat partners suddenly double over in pain while making a loud exclamation, after getting popped in the junk with the clip that had unexpectely come loose from their sock.

• Bing_Oh
                Bing_Oh commented
                Editing a comment
                Aidokea I don't think he was talking about the suspenders that keep your uniform shirt tucked in and your socks up. I'm pretty sure the Back Defender suspenders he's talking about are the hidden suspenders that you attach to your duty belt to transfer the weight to your shoulders. They're relatively common in old school departments that don't allow external/load-bearing vests.
                Last edited by Bing_Oh; 06-06-2021, 09:22 AM.

• tanksoldier
                tanksoldier commented
                Editing a comment
                I do wear but snappers, the tension on them isn’t enough to cause problems... but I was talking about internal suspenders to hold your duty belt and pants up.

• westside popo
                westside popo commented
                Editing a comment
                I had a pair of the Back Defender suspenders in the past and they work real well. Only thing was the price. First department I was paid for them the others wouldn't.

Originally posted by tanksoldier View Post
              The funny thing is, I could wear an external... I've been issued two... but prefer the internal.

...because it looks more professional, and is more comfortable to wear while it's on.

...but I also wear basket weave leather and leather jump boots.

I also use Back Defender internal suspenders.
              Just out of curiosity, have you actually given the external carrier a fair shot? Because, having worn both in my career, I'm not sure how you could think that an internal is more comfortable than an external. I ask because I worked with a guy (now retired) who had the same mindset as you...except that he never actually tried the external carrier until he retired and rehired at another department. After wearing the external, he now swears by it and says he would never go back to a concealed vest.

The question of which "looks more professional" is a personal preference, so I won't get into that.
              -Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

• westside popo
                westside popo commented
                Editing a comment
                I was the same way too. When my last chief first told to get some qoutes for outers vests I drug my feet on it and tried to talk him out of it. But now I don't want to go back to the concealed carrier.

As for looks the outer carrier for my Safe Life vest looks better than the Point Blank carrier did. Got a lot more positive comments on it than I ever did on the Point Blank.

The curling at the bottom is from a vest that is too long, a vest that is worn too low, and/or you're just slouching too much.

Almost everybody wears their vest too low- the neckline should be high enough to cover the ascending aortic arch (the garden-hosed sized artery that goes up over your heart). It's located about as high as the inner ends of your clavicles, so if you adjust it to where it's as high as those bones are, you're good to go.

Comment

• westside popo
                westside popo commented
                Editing a comment
                You're probably right but I never like how they felt whenever I tried to wear it the way they suggested. Was always self conscience of it and it didn't feel natural.

• Aidokea
                Aidokea commented
                Editing a comment
                https://www.odmp.org/officer/14941-o...ayton-jeffries

• westside popo
                westside popo commented
                Editing a comment
                With the one I have now it fits the way I like it and it covers the upper chest area well too. So far it hasn't started curling up.

Originally posted by Bing_Oh View Post

Just out of curiosity, have you actually given the external carrier a fair shot? Because, having worn both in my career, I'm not sure how you could think that an internal is more comfortable than an external. I ask because I worked with a guy (now retired) who had the same mindset as you...except that he never actually tried the external carrier until he retired and rehired at another department. After wearing the external, he now swears by it and says he would never go back to a concealed vest.

The question of which "looks more professional" is a personal preference, so I won't get into that.
              I’ve worn the externals. For a while we had to wear them, then it became optional.

One of the problems was, as an SRO, I’m rarely somewhere I can take the external off... my offices are in schools and aren’t secure like the squad room of a department. The external vests, IMO, are less comfortable to wear doing desk work than an internal vest.

Another problem, at least for me, is that wearing an external over a uniform shirt gets the shirt sweaty, so I can only wear one for one shift. Wearing the vest internally lets me get two or even three shifts out of a shirt...

"I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

I just talked to our uniform store, and they told me that just turned in the specs for my vest. I've been out of the loop so long that 4 to 6 weeks for it to arrive seems a little long, but it was probably like that for my others. I get my badge tomorrow, so I'm wondering what I'm boing to be doing from then until a vest comes in. I know this department has their turn-ins/used gear, but I've yet to venture in there.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2812 users online. 186 members and 2626 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X