Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Buying New Body Armor

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Safe life is now NIJ certified.

    Comment


    • #17
      Cool. It has been a long time since I kept up with the certifications and levels, etc, but that is good a well-known company is at that certification level now.

      Back when I started, I had to purchase my own body armor. Some time later, an officer from a sister department was working an off-duty job when he was shot and killed. That death started a local campaign which funded body armor for all of the local departments. Sad that that officer's death was the button to get everyone outfitted. To add, even though it was policy and pushed at my old department to wear body armor, we still had the guys showing up without it. They were dealt with by the supervisors at time from not taking any action at all to a write-up since it also included some supervisors not wanting to wear it.

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by NolaT View Post
        Safe life is now NIJ certified.
        NIJ doesn’t mean much...

        Comment


        • #19
          When it comes to the decision of whether to wear body armor or not, as far as I'm concerned the body armor might as well be sewn to the uniform- there's no effing way that I would wear a uniform without wearing body armor, and I really never cared to work with anyone that chose to work in uniform without body armor.

          Even after I retired, I purchased and wore level 3A body armor when doing plainclothes armed protective services for the news crews covering the riots in Portland.

          Comment


          • #20
            Just somewhat recently, there was an officer working a detail at a high school basketball game interact with someone not wearing a mask. Apparently he was only going to ask him to leave, but the officer was shot and killed. He wasn't wearing any armor.

            it was a very basic, high school basketball game,......you Never know!

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by NolaT View Post
              Just somewhat recently, there was an officer working a detail at a high school basketball game interact with someone not wearing a mask. Apparently he was only going to ask him to leave, but the officer was shot and killed. He wasn't wearing any armor.

              it was a very basic, high school basketball game,......you Never know!
              With my department's transition to exterior carriers, I'm glad to say that I don't see officers working without armor anymore (besides detectives and admin, and we all know they're bulletproof). When half of your equipment is hanging on your vest, it's tough to hit the road without it.
              "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
              -Friedrich Nietzsche

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by NolaT View Post
                Safe life is now NIJ certified.
                They’ve been so evasive and misleading about it, I’m not sure it matters anymore. Plenty of other companies that are upfront and honest.
                "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

                "With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by retired1995 View Post
                  CCCSD: You'll need your shine box to climb high enough to kiss my rectal orifice. Just about every post you make is rude, arrogant, and obnoxious to any normal person. I sincerely hope that your mother loves you because that phenomenon is unlikely to be repeated in your twisted lifetime.
                  Nail. On. The. Head.
                  Why are there so many babies on O.com? Creole, you and your buddy JPSO Recruit help me out on this one....

                  * "Preach always, if necessary, use words!" St Francis of Assisi

                  * Luke Chapter 6, Verses 27-36

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    FWIW I got a Safe Life Defense vest now and like it. I got the IIIA+ panels and the outer carrier. If they have your size in stock you'll get in about a week. They go off your height and weight for the size.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by westside popo View Post
                      FWIW I got a Safe Life Defense vest now and like it. I got the IIIA+ panels and the outer carrier. If they have your size in stock you'll get in about a week. They go off your height and weight for the size.
                      Their carrier is about the most expensive out there, but it does look nice. I also like to think that having the complete set up from one mfg would make for a nicer fit, vs using a generic carrier.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by westside popo View Post
                        FWIW I got a Safe Life Defense vest now and like it. I got the IIIA+ panels and the outer carrier. If they have your size in stock you'll get in about a week. They go off your height and weight for the size.
                        Looking back at how many vests I've had in my career, from how many different manufacturers, I can say that I've have never had a standard sized one fit properly "out of box." I doubt that a proper fix is going to be common by just sending a company my height and weight. Obviously, there's a little more wiggle room when it's an exterior carrier as opposed to a concealed, but I'm not a fan of the McDonald's version of vests.
                        "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
                        -Friedrich Nietzsche

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          I was fitted yesterday for a vest, and I'm presuming it is a Point Blank Hi-Lite due to the order form only stating "Hi Lite W/ AXIIIA 2 CARRIERS" and "BLAUER ARMORSKIN XP WOOL BLEND VEST CARRIER." Anyone have any experience with this setup? I've had armor from different companies over the years, but it has been a long time since I last fitted. I think my vest I retired in was a hair past 5 years old when I retired the last day of '15, so I don't remember which company that one was let alone what the other companies were other than the major brands.

                          Come to think of it, I was actually fitted and received a vest about a year before I retired, but I never wore it since it was too thick and the carrier had no tails. I just continued with my old vest knowing I was going to retire in the near future.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by angeredmgmt View Post
                            I was fitted yesterday for a vest, and I'm presuming it is a Point Blank Hi-Lite due to the order form only stating "Hi Lite W/ AXIIIA 2 CARRIERS" and "BLAUER ARMORSKIN XP WOOL BLEND VEST CARRIER." Anyone have any experience with this setup? I've had armor from different companies over the years, but it has been a long time since I last fitted. I think my vest I retired in was a hair past 5 years old when I retired the last day of '15, so I don't remember which company that one was let alone what the other companies were other than the major brands.

                            Come to think of it, I was actually fitted and received a vest about a year before I retired, but I never wore it since it was too thick and the carrier had no tails. I just continued with my old vest knowing I was going to retire in the near future.
                            My department used the standard "uniform look" Blauer Armorskin before we finally went to load-bearing. They were ok...much better than concealed, at least. The carrier tended to last about a year or so before equipment rubbed a hole somewhere and it needed to be replaced. No experience with the Point Blank Hi-Lite, but I can't imagine it's any better or worse than most other armor...almost all armor is made by one of two companies anymore, just with different labels.
                            "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
                            -Friedrich Nietzsche

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by Bing_Oh View Post

                              Looking back at how many vests I've had in my career, from how many different manufacturers, I can say that I've have never had a standard sized one fit properly "out of box." I doubt that a proper fix is going to be common by just sending a company my height and weight. Obviously, there's a little more wiggle room when it's an exterior carrier as opposed to a concealed, but I'm not a fan of the McDonald's version of vests.
                              I felt the same way but I wanted a vest ASAP that I could afford. The new department didn't have any that fit me and I didn't know when they could get me a new one. So I tried Safe Life out. As my luck would have the department liked the vest too and got the bean counters to approve new vests for everyone.

                              There's a little gap between the panels on the sides of mine but I wear it loose fitting anyways. I could tighten up the straps and if I wanted. I could also get the side panels they sell but they are on back order now.

                              The outer carrier looks sharp compared to other outer vests I've seen. It's also a lot easier for take out the panels and reinsert them. I hated having to fool with the Point Blank vest!

                              The only problem with the outer carrier so far is the Velcro stitching in the side chest pocket and a tiny wear spot in the lower back left. I think my flashlight might be causing that one. I'm going to try out their warranty on that when I get time. The Velcro on the Point Blank carriers started failing just above the chest pockets we're the badge and name tags were located. The stitching in some spots on the Point Blank carriers started coming apart after about a year.

                              It may not be for everyone but I like the way it fits and feels on me. I like to wear my vests closer to the belt line so this one does that and still adequately covers my sternum. Haven't experienced any limitations on movement yet compared to other vests I've had before.

                              But get what you'll like and can afford.

                              When I done the ordering for my last department I had issues with vest companies returning calls and getting me qoutes. The Point Blank rep not only gave me a quote but drove to the department that same day I called to show me everything they had to offer. The rep came back another day to measure everyone and show off their vests again.


                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by Bing_Oh View Post

                                My department used the standard "uniform look" Blauer Armorskin before we finally went to load-bearing. They were ok...much better than concealed, at least. The carrier tended to last about a year or so before equipment rubbed a hole somewhere and it needed to be replaced. No experience with the Point Blank Hi-Lite, but I can't imagine it's any better or worse than most other armor...almost all armor is made by one of two companies anymore, just with different labels.
                                I've never worn an exterior carrier, and there were some company's carriers I liked over the others having to due with the velcro straps. Some got stretched out too much where you just couldn't get a good fit anymore. Personally, I liked the wider straps since they didn't suffer from stretching. We will just have to see.

                                Comment

                                MR300x250 Tablet

                                Collapse

                                What's Going On

                                Collapse

                                There are currently 4263 users online. 303 members and 3960 guests.

                                Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

                                Welcome Ad

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X