300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying New Body Armor

I work part-time so responsible for my own equipment. I am in the market for new body armor and was wondering if anyone has experience with "Safe Life Defense Armor". I am set on an external carrier and found one until I read their armor is not NIJ certified. I really like Safariland Sacramento, has anyone had experience with them?

Originally posted by wi law View Post
    I work part-time so responsible for my own equipment. I am in the market for new body armor and was wondering if anyone has experience with "Safe Life Defense Armor". I am set on an external carrier and found one until I read their armor is not NIJ certified. I really like Safariland Sacramento, has anyone had experience with them?
    Ask a full time officer what they are wearing and buy what your agency issues.

DON"T go cheap on body armor
    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Just because it isn't NIJ certified doesn't mean it wont work as advertised. It costs alot of money to have NIJ test and certify a product.

That being said I wouldn't work with anything that isn't NIJ certified. Mine was issued and it's from Galls.

IIIA minimum

Comment

There is a 500 dollar difference between the Safariland(which was the most expensive of each) The safari carrier is 250 and armor was 750, but that was the upgraded panels. 3 month back order. I did look at Galls, but had an impressive selection of 2 styles.

Comment

We currently use Point Blank. The local rep was very quick to get back to me and even had samples of everything to show me. Called him that afternoon and a couple of hours later he was at the PD showing me what they had.

​​​​

I tried other suppliers but they wouldn't get back with me. One place I heard about, on here wanted me to fill out their contact form on their web page for them to talk to me. I did and never heard back from them. I called the one phone number they listed but the operator kept pushing me to complete the contact form.

Comment

I just got new armor last year...Safariland SX with a V1 exterior carrier. Very thin, light armor and the carrier OK (we've noticed some rubbing/fraying where the vest comes in contact with various items on the duty belt). The wait time for backorder was significant, however. There are guys at my PD who have been waiting several months for theirs at this point...I don't know if that's a Safariland issue or one with our supplier (the supplier, of course, says it's Safariland).

Rule of thumb is to at least buy what will stop the round you're carrying. Personally, I would never wear anything that's not NIJ certified...you don't skimp on something like body armor.
            "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
            -Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

I was looking at the Sacramento. It is on a 3 month backorder, but my thought was better to wait and get what i want rather than cheep out and get something only because its available.

Comment

Safe-Life isn’t NIJ certified. Buy any that are, don’t buy one that isn’t.
                "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

Makes me think of my days in the Army as a paratrooper and pathfinder. Big sign over the door at the parachute shed announced that all work was guaranteed, if your parachute didn't work just bring it back for another one.

At today's prices for body armor I'm sure you can get an extended payment plan, so if it doesn't work you won't have to make all those payments.

Now that I am finished joking around, I was in the cop business when soft body armor was first introduced (Second Chance Kevlar vest, back in about 1975). I remember a lot of debates over the relative merits of body armor, departments considering issuing body armor, several service organizations (VFW, FOE, and others) offering to provide body armor to local cops, etc. One of the major stumbling blocks was always the issue of workers' compensation insurance coverage; here in Colorado if protective equipment was provided and not used by the employee there was an automatic denial of all claims (medical care, disability, retirement benefits, retraining, and others). Might not sound like a big argument, but carry the thought process forward a little bit and imagine how a claim for on-the-job injury might be adjudicated for benefits IF YOU CHOOSE TO USE A NON-CERTIFIED PIECE OF EQUIPMENT WHEN RECOGNIZED ALTERNATIVES WERE READILY AVAILABLE.

Beyond those comments all I will add is that I found it next to impossible to use body armor on the job. I've known two guys who lived through gun shots because of the vest, but I've also seen a dozen guys collapse from heat exhaustion and dehydration on hot summer days. I remember weighing myself in the locker room before my shift, then again at the end of a hot summer day, and I lost 6 lbs. in 8 hours, which I attribute to the vest retaining core body heat and forcing uncontrolled perspiration.

That doesn't even touch on the subject of body odor that results from repeated daily use of sweat-soaked body armor. Today's sealed armor panels can be cleaned, and the carriers can go in the laundry, but back in the day the Kevlar panels just absorbed the perspiration and held it day in and day out. After a couple of day shifts in hot weather I couldn't stand my own smell, much less inflict it on other people.

Comment

Originally posted by retired1995 View Post

Beyond those comments all I will add is that I found it next to impossible to use body armor on the job. I've known two guys who lived through gun shots because of the vest, but I've also seen a dozen guys collapse from heat exhaustion and dehydration on hot summer days. I remember weighing myself in the locker room before my shift, then again at the end of a hot summer day, and I lost 6 lbs. in 8 hours, which I attribute to the vest retaining core body heat and forcing uncontrolled perspiration.

That doesn't even touch on the subject of body odor197 that results from repeated daily use of sweat-soaked body armor. Today's sealed armor panels can be cleaned, and the carriers can go in the laundry, but back in the day the Kevlar panels just absorbed the perspiration and held it day in and day out. After a couple of day shifts in hot weather I couldn't stand my own smell, much less inflict it on other people.

In 1978 the big city where I worked as a Deputy had an officer saved by a Second Chance vest of his own cost. The city then bought armor for all officers. My agency chose at that time NOT to buy body armor but there was lots of city officers selling their personal armor.

I bought a set from one of the city officers and never looked back. YES it was uncomfortable, yes it was heavy, yes it sucked.
                    NO, I never thought of going out on patrol without it.

My current agency chose to provide armor to my division comprised of all retired officers from various agencies who transport prisoners & provide security to the courthouse. The sheriff did this for our part time staff who are in full uniform.......just because it was the right thing to do.

Like a master card......................I don't leave home without it.
                    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post

In 1978 the big city where I worked as a Deputy had an officer saved by a Second Chance vest of his own cost. The city then bought armor for all officers. My agency chose at that time NOT to buy body armor but there was lots of city officers selling their personal armor.

I bought a set from one of the city officers and never looked back. YES it was uncomfortable, yes it was heavy, yes it sucked.
                      NO, I never thought of going out on patrol without it.

My current agency chose to provide armor to my division comprised of all retired officers from various agencies who transport prisoners & provide security to the courthouse. The sheriff did this for our part time staff who are in full uniform.......just because it was the right thing to do.

Like a master card......................I don't leave home without it.
                      It is always good to consider every aspect of a problem before making our decisions.

By the way, I hold 4 awards of the Purple Heart medal for wounds received in combat in Vietnam. I have some understanding of what is involved with being struck by bullets and shrapnel. I am not just spouting opinions without a pretty solid base of knowledge.

Best regards.

Comment

It is always good to consider every aspect of a problem before making our decisions.

By the way, I hold 4 awards of the Purple Heart medal for wounds received in combat in Vietnam. I have some understanding of what is involved with being struck by bullets and shrapnel. I am not just spouting opinions without a pretty solid base of knowledge.

Best regards.
                        apples and oranges.....................................

It's just plain stupid to not use the tools available for an officer ................MOST agencies make it mandatory to wear armor. . PERIOD It's a cost factor that the bean counters & attorneys tell the agency

Today we are told to hydrate. No we are ORDERED to stay hydrated...................lots of agencies even supply the water

Don't worry you have told us a quadrillion times about your war record...Thank you for your service
                        Last edited by Iowa #1603; 07-25-2020, 05:28 PM.

Comment

Makes me think of my days in the Army as a paratrooper and pathfinder. Big sign over the door at the parachute shed announced that all work was guaranteed, if your parachute didn't work just bring it back for another one.

At today's prices for body armor I'm sure you can get an extended payment plan, so if it doesn't work you won't have to make all those payments.

Now that I am finished joking around, I was in the cop business when soft body armor was first introduced (Second Chance Kevlar vest, back in about 1975). I remember a lot of debates over the relative merits of body armor, departments considering issuing body armor, several service organizations (VFW, FOE, and others) offering to provide body armor to local cops, etc. One of the major stumbling blocks was always the issue of workers' compensation insurance coverage; here in Colorado if protective equipment was provided and not used by the employee there was an automatic denial of all claims (medical care, disability, retirement benefits, retraining, and others). Might not sound like a big argument, but carry the thought process forward a little bit and imagine how a claim for on-the-job injury might be adjudicated for benefits IF YOU CHOOSE TO USE A NON-CERTIFIED PIECE OF EQUIPMENT WHEN RECOGNIZED ALTERNATIVES WERE READILY AVAILABLE.

That doesn't even touch on the subject of body odor that results from repeated daily use of sweat-soaked body armor. Today's sealed armor panels can be cleaned, and the carriers can go in the laundry, but back in the day the Kevlar panels just absorbed the perspiration and held it day in and day out. After a couple of day shifts in hot weather I couldn't stand my own smell, much less inflict it on other people.
                          This is such old and unrealistic information.
                          It shows how long you’ve been out of touch with LE and reality. Get current or don’t post on things you don’t know about.

BTW: just because you got shot, allegedly, doesn’t mean you are an expert. It means you got shot.
                          Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

My, my, my. I guess I have been told off pretty good. Just an old has-been and used-to-be, not intelligent enough to contribute to a conversation and nothing worth saying or listening to. I guess I'll just have to relax in retirement and leave this arena for the truly qualified arrogant pumped-up egotists who know everything.

Whatever follows this discussion, don't ever allow anyone to consider any aspect of a subject except what the consensus agrees to be the correct path of thought. Don't allow any old fart who has actually done the job to say anything that contradicts the accepted gospel truth according to some self-appointed genius with all the answers to all the world's problems.

Iowa #1603: Please don't ever consider that there is any element to a discussion that conflicts with your pronouncements. Never allow anyone to think for himself or make decisions of importance without your personal opinion being pronounced as the ultimate truth without any further discussion. Whatever you do for the rest of your life you can rest easy in the knowledge that you are the ultimate decider of fact in everything. Anytime you find yourself disagreeing with another person you should feel free to engage in ad hominin attacks on the person, no need to debate the issues just do your best to discredit the source. Hell, with that approach you might as well run for political office in today's environment. You know everything, so why not?

CCCSD: You'll need your shine box to climb high enough to kiss my rectal orifice. Just about every post you make is rude, arrogant, and obnoxious to any normal person. I sincerely hope that your mother loves you because that phenomenon is unlikely to be repeated in your twisted lifetime.
                            Last edited by retired1995; 07-25-2020, 10:53 PM.

Comment

Buy once, cry once. Don’t cheap out on body armor. Whatever you get, make sure it’s NIJ certified.

Safe Life defense uses a lot of gimmicks to promote sales which to me comes off as too “used car salesman” like. Reputable body armor companies use their success stories to sell their product.

Good body armor is expensive, but some companies will allow you to make payment plans on body armor. In fact, some credit cards will allow you to set up payment plans for a nominal fee. (Amex and Chase Visa both do this).

I’ll tell you this: when I’m in a situation and I need to break leather, I don’t want to have to worry about my body armor failing me. I would hate to miss out on a nice retirement and pension because I wanted to save a few bucks on something that would let me go home to my family at the end of my tour.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6134 users online. 405 members and 5729 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X