300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Waze/Google Maps - police ahead feature

So i spend a lot of time doing interstate work and the police ahead feature bothers me a bit. Am I alone in thinking this is a officer safety issue? I feel like this feature not only places officers at risk, it also inhibits our ability to do our job. While not everyone on the road uses these apps, I'll regularly check and see if I have been spotted and sure enough 9 times out of 10 there will be a police notification right where I am sitting. I'll usually rotate where I'm sitting once I'm spotted but I usually get spotted again.

Thoughts?

It’s 2019. What do you expect?
    Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

• Saluki89
      Saluki89 commented
      Editing a comment
      At this point I really don't know.

Originally posted by Saluki89 View Post
    So i spend a lot of time doing interstate work and the police ahead feature bothers me a bit. Am I alone in thinking this is a officer safety issue? I feel like this feature not only places officers at risk, it also inhibits our ability to do our job. While not everyone on the road uses these apps, I'll regularly check and see if I have been spotted and sure enough 9 times out of 10 there will be a police notification right where I am sitting. I'll usually rotate where I'm sitting once I'm spotted but I usually get spotted again.

Thoughts?
    I love WAZE. I love looking for police and report in on the WAZE app. Its a game for me. Now as far as an officer safety issue may I suggest you hide your patrol vehicle. Stay safe out there and thank you for what you do.

Comment

• Saluki89
      Saluki89 commented
      Editing a comment
      Making the world a better place one NTA at a time

Originally posted by pissedoff View Post

I love WAZE. I love looking for police and report in on the WAZE app. Its a game for me. Now as far as an officer safety issue may I suggest you hide your patrol vehicle. Stay safe out there and thank you for what you do.
    So...that’s a petty response. You interfere with police work, then tell us thank you and stay safe.

Shinebox enroute.
    Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

• pissedoff
      pissedoff commented
      Editing a comment
      LMAO! Tell me what state, local or federal statute did I break? Using a WAZE ap is not impeding a LEO nor interring with a LEO.

• CCCSD
      CCCSD commented
      Editing a comment
      Because you comprised the Officers SAFETY.

Then you state how you’re so concerned about us.

What's the intent of traffic enforcement -- getting people to drive safer or writing tickets? If people know I'm there, they'll slow down, at least temporarily. Maybe a small subset of them will check themselves for the rest of their drive. I don't really worry too much about being seen or people knowing I'm there.

That being said, I'm aware of someone who realized the cop-finder tools were cutting into his enforcement volume. So he tried something new. He set himself up in a visible spot on a busy roadway. Sure enough, it wasn't long before he got tagged. He didn't write any tickets that day...but his partner, set up a couple hundred yards down the road, got plenty.

Comment

• Saluki89
      Saluki89 commented
      Editing a comment
      Depends who you're asking... If you ask me and probably most others we would say the former. However if you ask my employer they would say the later.

Report yourself and the 50 other officers working shift with you and take a long lunch.

Put them on every road except the one you're working.
    Seriously though I don't see the harm in it.

​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Saluki89 View Post

Thoughts?
      I actually used the one on Google maps to report my location on day shift one time to see if giving them a heads up that I was waiting for them would slow them down. I sat just past a slight curve that people LOVE to speed around, I didn't notice a difference, I still gave out several tickets that day...So long as you're alert to what's going on around you and you don't have your head buried in your phone or laptop safety shouldn't be an issue.

Also: Car placement behind a solid barrier or at least concealment if you can is a plus.
      Last edited by COMoparfan392; 10-04-2019, 10:24 AM.
      "It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived."- George S. Patton Jr.

Comment

Ed Bolian uses Waze...

Comment

LMAO! Tell me what state, local or federal statute did I break? Using a WAZE ap is not impeding a LEO nor interring with a LEO.
          In Colorado it would be a violation of CRS 18-8-102, "Obstructing Government Operations" by warning criminals where the officer is you're impeding his ability to perform the duties of his office, it could also be charged as 18-8-105 "Accessory to Crime" by telling the criminal where the police are you're waring them of impending discovery or apprehension.

Even if the DA dismisses the case you're still spending a night in jail.
          Last edited by tanksoldier; 10-04-2019, 01:34 PM.
          "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

The only time it bothers me is when they post the location of a DUI checkpoint...

Cautioning people to slow down is one thing. Aiding impaired drivers in avoiding arrest is another thing altogether.
            Last edited by not.in.MY.town; 10-04-2019, 03:02 PM.

Comment

I used WAYZE all the time and I would randomly mark "hidden" police all throughout my commute to work where there were no police.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9429 users online. 303 members and 9126 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X