300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Level Iiia Vest Problems

Does anyone wear a level IIIA vest under their uniform? My dept. had us wearing IIA (American Body Armor) for the past few years. They have replaced them wth Smith and Wesson level IIIA vests. These things weigh 6 pounds and are very thick. I had to go buy new uniform shirts. We just got them yesterday and No one in the dept. has used them yet. Plain clothes officers are getting tactical carriers for over the clothes wear. They are so bulky that it appears my baton will quickly rub holes in my new shirts since it now presses against the fabric.

I have not seen S&W vests before.

Anyone have any comments?

chuck

Originally posted by 1006smith
    Does anyone wear a level IIIA vest under their uniform? My dept. had us wearing IIA (American Body Armor) for the past few years. They have replaced them wth Smith and Wesson level IIIA vests. These things weigh 6 pounds and are very thick. I had to go buy new uniform shirts. We just got them yesterday and No one in the dept. has used them yet. Plain clothes officers are getting tactical carriers for over the clothes wear. They are so bulky that it appears my baton will quickly rub holes in my new shirts since it now presses against the fabric.

I have not seen S&W vests before.

Anyone have any comments?

chuck

like anything else-Depts by based on contract prices,and most often -could care less if you like it or not!City of L.A. had a big contract -first with ABA( the early 90s) then Point Blank and Second Chance-I currently wear a second chance Monarch level II with 8"x10" kevlar covered steel trauma plates in front and back -a bit buffed up, but alot of the "younger" generation wear the Zero-G design vests.you can take twhat the city gives you or opt out ,dig in your pocket, and get a more comfortable vest.FWIW,I wouldn't go out on patrol wearing anythingless than level II body armor,and I have a IIIA vest also(panels are in the Tactical carrier,along with ceramic plates).if the Dept was "nice enough" to buy you IIIA,which provides a far higher level of protection over the IIA vest- and for FREE- be thankful.exercise a little more, lift a few more weights, and slim the waist down alittle more, and adjust the baton( and ASP ,huh?) to the front.
    "we're americans ! We don't quit because we're wrong, we just keep doing it wrong UNTIL it turns out Right"...

Comment

i wear a second chance monarch +p+ 3a its ballistic and stab resistant. and its lighter then my issued point black 2a

Comment

SC Monarch IIA here.

Maybe next year I will look into some supplemental armor (raid jacket) since we are deploying more rifles and the incidents of suspects with rifles seem to be on the rise.

I don't think I would want to a much heavier vest (for regular wear) than I have now. Unfortunately our suspects aren't getting any slower and I do have to run after them and jump fences from time to time.
        "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell
        8541tactical.com - Ammo Wallets

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6400 users online. 344 members and 6056 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X