300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bullet proof vests

boys i have a question for you.im a 10month rookie . my ballistic vest drives me crazy when i wear it. you veterans is their any way to kkep cool in one? i also hear alot about these second chance vests that go under the vest do they work?
    S/O E.J. Smith
    northern hospital of surry county

It's hard down here in the South where it's so humid. You're probably a little cooler up there I know (my mom's from Boone...couple of hours away I guess?) than here in Ga., but not by much I suspect. The only thing I can tell you is using talcum powder seems to help some, and alot of guys like Under Armour t-shirts & the knock-offs from Wal-Mart. I've also been known to bring an extra t-shirt to work & change halfway through the shift if there's time.

Comment

thanks for the info never thought of talk.
      S/O E.J. Smith

Comment

They also make shirts that are ribbed to keep a small pocket of air between you and the vest and it allows heat to escape. They are a bit expensive.

I tried the Under Armor under the vest, but I did not like it because I now felt like the vest was against my skin and the heat still could not escape.

Just keep wearing it, you'll get used to it. I am now uncomfortable without my vest. I feel like something is missing.

Remember, the vest will help to protect you from other things such as traffic crashes, punches and other fight related injuries, and even though they may not be rated for knives, a knife still has to penetrate the vest before it gets to you.

Good luck,

Sammy
        If I could keep one heart from breaking, I shall not live in vain. If I could ease one life the aching or cool one pain; or lift a fainting robin unto it's nest again, I shall not live in vain. Emily Dickinson
        www.samanthafund.com

Comment

When my Daughter went through the Academy 2 years ago they had to have their vest the first day and were made to wear it from then on for the duration of the Academy, during their P.T. their run's and all weapons and hand to hand combat training. Seems like a good idea to me as you will get used to the vest prior to going on the street with it.

Comment

Gold Bond Powder works ok to keep that cool feeling. It's better than nothing. You will just get used to it.

Comment

Originally posted by SammyCal1
              They also make shirts that are ribbed to keep a small pocket of air between you and the vest and it allows heat to escape. They are a bit expensive

Sammy
              I used to wear one of those Ribbed shirts, ITCHY as Hell. Better off getting the Underarmour or knock offs. IMO.
              ALso one of the best I ever wore was a plain old white cotton mesh football type jersey. It doesnt do much for absorption but I dont think a tshirt really absorbs sweat. I jsut startted wearing the Underarmour Loose gear{I cant fit in the heat gear} and a NIKE Dri-fit. Nike is nice,fits well but isnt cooling enought but comfortable.
              I got nothing for now

Comment

Remember to drink lots of fluids, be it water, gatorade, powerade, etc and keep that A/C in the cruiser cranked up in between calls.
                Still leading the team in PIMs, the fans are calling me a goon.
                --------------------
                This is Papa Bear. Put out an APB for a male suspect, driving a... car of some sort, heading in the direction of, uh, you know, that place that sells chili. Suspect is hatless. Repeat, hatless.

Comment

I wear Under Armor under mine...actually the cheap knockoff stuff from Wal-Mart. Only $10 bucks so I got 4 of them, so every day I wear a different one.

It was over 110 degrees for 2 straight weeks a few weeks ago and I did okay. I can feel the sweat run down my back sometimes when I'm standing outside for a while. Mostly I just try to stand in the shade as much as I can. It's only 105 degrees under a tree.
                  RIP Sgt. Henry Prendes...EOW 2/1/06
                  RIP Off. James Manor...EOW 5/7/09
                  RIP Ofc. Milburn "Millie" Beitel...EOW 10/7/09
                  RIP Ofc. Trevor Nettleton...EOW 11/19/09
                  RIP Ofc. Daniel Leach...EOW 11/21/09

Comment

what's the name of those knock off shirts?

Comment

The ones I have are just Starter.

They are the tight fiitting stretch material that takes the sweat and just spreads it all around the shirt. Plus they keep a nice tight neck line and don't bunch up under my vest like a T-shirt.
                      RIP Sgt. Henry Prendes...EOW 2/1/06
                      RIP Off. James Manor...EOW 5/7/09
                      RIP Ofc. Milburn "Millie" Beitel...EOW 10/7/09
                      RIP Ofc. Trevor Nettleton...EOW 11/19/09
                      RIP Ofc. Daniel Leach...EOW 11/21/09

Comment

thanks everyone

one other question is they sell a second chance vest that goes under ballistic vest.it has a smaller trauma plate for double protection. i was curious if anyone else had any input on them
                        S/O E.J. Smith

Comment

Originally posted by s-38
                          boys i have a question for you.im a 10month rookie . my ballistic vest drives me crazy when i wear it. you veterans is their any way to kkep cool in one? i also hear alot about these second chance vests that go under the vest do they work?
                          You get used to it. I'm in GA also and I average about 30 miles on a bicycle in a 4 day work week to boot. If I can wear one while wearing pedalling a bike and wearing all black, you can too.

I wear Underarmor shrits. Doesn't do much for feeling cooler but it does wick away moisture pretty quick and at the end of the day your undershirt isn't as heavy as a shirt that would have simply just absorbed the sweat. Also drink plenty of water.

After a while the vest will become part of you. I feel naked without mine now- even in this God-awful heat.
                          You have no right to not be offended.-Neal Boortz

Comment

Yup underarmor for me too, tried the loose fit for a while, but it just didn't do much to keep me cool, tried the heat gear once and was sold on it, I have 4, with a 5th one lost somewhere in my home.

Anyone have a link to those ribbed shirts? Everytime I get back into the car and sit down, my vest adjusts so the top is angled slightly away from my body, it shoots a blast of warm air on my face. LOL no air circulation there, but the UA does help.
                            Illegitimi non carborundum - Don't let the bastards grind you down.

Comment

Originally posted by Caspertoo
                              Everytime I get back into the car and sit down, my vest adjusts so the top is angled slightly away from my body, it shoots a blast of warm air on my face. LOL no air circulation there, but the UA does help.
                              Yeah, I get those "vest burps" too. Those are nice aren't they?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4841 users online. 293 members and 4548 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X