300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lightbar on freeway?

I used to use my lightbar on all traffic stops regardless of location. Then I read a study indicating that emergency vehicles with the lights activated cause MORE collisions than less. Apparantly people zone on the lights and stop paying attention to the driving. Now when I stop on the freeway, I turn off my lightbar and use the car's emergency flashers. However, I notice that most do not. Does anyone else follow this?

ALWAYS shut off my lights. Unless I have a directional on to move traffic over the lightbar is off on a stop. Two things seem to happen, especially at night.

1. Everyone wants to know what is going on so they slow and look, causing everyone to do the same and yep... more fender benders.

2. Drunks LOVE lights. many of our officers have been hit in the past by drunks that just focus on the lights.

Comment

85% of my graveyard shift stops are on the freeway (95% if on swing shift).

I always leave my lights off. Less likely to be a target. I try to get them off at an off-ramp and on to a surface street when available. I will then use my directional lights on the surface street.

Comment

http://www.pfmmag.com/MarchApril2004...encylights.htm

i turn everything off if i'm in a parking lot. when on a road, i turn off all but minimal lights. i like a tiny flasher. if i turn off everything, the move over law doesn't apply and my peeps can't poach off my stop.

Comment

i had a slick top, so i only left the corner strobes and direction stick on, i like the hwy ptrl here, they have a switch to turn off the back lights, but still leaves on the front lights. but its kinda a catch 22, if your lights are off its sometimes hard to give an exact location on the highway. if you call for back up, and they only have an approximate location, well it takes longer to get there, plus ive seen several training videos where a civi slowed down and saw the officer in trouble and they stopped to help, if your lights are off, then they probably wont be paying attention to you. but it would also suck to get ***-ended at 70mph.

Comment

I leave my rear arrow stick on, the tail lights flashing and the lower deck lights on..unless I am blocking traffic and then I keeper on at 3..
            Happy to be here proud to serve

"Well it appears this lock does not accept american express."

Never trust fire fighters to point out a suspect.

Comment

Hence why I call them "drunk bug zappers"
              "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

On a t-stop I would agree less is more. The only problem I have with that is that if some moron does tag me and my lights are not on, I will 1) be violating policy, and 2)the liabilty when the moron sues me and the department because he said he could'nt see me. We have gone to all LED lights in all blue and they are almost too bright at night...I can hear the truckers bitch on the CB when I make stops on 95 at night. And I can kind of agree because it's tough following another copper running code with those things blasting away.
                Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

I don
                  If you run, you'll only go to jail tired

Comment

I never thought about drunks hitting me while stopping someone at night.. Do you think the subtle rear patterns would be ample enough but not drawing too much attention?

Comment

I have a slicktop as well. During daylight people cannot see much of the lights anyway. In the front I have 2 strobes in the window, 2 in the grill, wig-wags and that's it. In the rear I have 4 deck strobes and rear flashers. Not much at all.

On a stop at night I turn all the fronts off and put high beams on (no take-downs), and leave all my rears on. Like was said before, I'd rather be seen than not.
                      Whitechapel - Hate Creation

Comment

The problem I have with turning all your lights off is, if someone decides to pull over onto the shoulder for whatever reason, ie switch drivers, mechanical... etc... they may rear end you because they couldn't see you.
                        Leaving all your lights on, warns other motorists of the presence of an emergency vehicle. That is the whole purpose of the lightbar.

Comment

Lately I've been seeing a lot of the CHP officers just using their emergencies in their taillights.
                          "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

Always leave light bar on. If you get hit you have no way to charge the offending driver. On freeway traffic stops make them as short as possible.
                            If traffic is tough approach offender and have them exit at next ramp then do your citation etc.

It is pure suicide to not have at least rear of light bar on.

Comment

Turning off lightbar different than ALL LIGHTS

I think that having your taillamps illuminated and using the vehicle's factory emergency flashers will cover you liability-wise for others seeing you.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6125 users online. 369 members and 5756 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X