300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Working Protests

So I'm a fairly experienced officer (5+ years) but I've never actually had to work a protest before. I'm going to be working one this weekend (it's one of the Ferguson-Eric Garner-Cleveland ones). Any advice? Specifically what to watch out for officer safety-wise, though any advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

Originally posted by artless195 View Post
    So I'm a fairly experienced officer (5+ years) but I've never actually had to work a protest before. I'm going to be working one this weekend (it's one of the Ferguson-Eric Garner-Cleveland ones). Any advice? Specifically what to watch out for officer safety-wise, though any advice is appreciated.

Thanks!
    Listen to your supervisors and follow their directions.

Don't take ANYTHING personal --------------don't let anyone get under your skin
    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

It depends what type of response/presence you are providing. Are you guys just monitoring/present, or will you be in formation with your riot gear on?

Comment

Primarily just presence. Without getting into too much detail over an open forum, my group won't be in riot gear- we're detailed to watch a particular area where no protesters are allowed to go. Further details are sketchy for me right now- I haven't been given a whole lot of a briefing. Hopefully will get one when I get there.

Comment

It sounds like you are doing physical security, so just don't let yourself be baited into doing something stupid like running your mouth, leaving your post, etc. Have a plan for dealing with people who want to go where you don't want them to. Identify agitators who want to turn the protest into a riot and have a plan to deal with them swiftly.

Comment

Well, everything turned out fine. There were only about 40-50 at the protest, and as it got colder they gradually got bored and left. It seems ardor for "social justice" varies proportionally to temperature, which is useful to keep in mind.

Comment

Originally posted by artless195 View Post
              Well, everything turned out fine. There were only about 40-50 at the protest, and as it got colder they gradually got bored and left. It seems ardor for "social justice" varies proportionally to temperature, which is useful to keep in mind.
              Yep. Very true. Casual solidarity is proportional to the temperature.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3678 users online. 190 members and 3488 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X