300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who uses body cam? Need advice...

Hey guys my sheriff's office doesn't supply us with body cameras, so I've been thinking about purchasing my own. What brand would you guys recommend? From the research I've done so far, Vievu and Wolfcom seem to be good. However, if you're going to try and push the Vievu, you're really going to have to sell it to me cause I can't find where it is worth the $6-700 price difference. I'm thinking about making this my Christmas gift from the wife so if you guys could help me out I'd really appreciate it!

Originally posted by ClemsonSCJ View Post
    Hey guys my sheriff's office doesn't supply us with body cameras, so I've been thinking about purchasing my own. What brand would you guys recommend? From the research I've done so far, Vievu and Wolfcom seem to be good. However, if you're going to try and push the Vievu, you're really going to have to sell it to me cause I can't find where it is worth the $6-700 price difference. I'm thinking about making this my Christmas gift from the wife so if you guys could help me out I'd really appreciate it!
    Have you considered it might not be as easy as going out and buying your own camera? Does your agency have a policy on cameras. Where are you going to securely store these videos that could well be considered a public record? Much more to it than just buying a camera.

FB

Comment

Regardless of whether your dept policy allows it, you better talk to your prosecutor's office before you buy anything. Your footage is evidence,so what is your records retention policy going to be? Where is the data going to be stored? Who administers that system? How are you going to comply with public records requests? Who has the authority to view video? Who has authority to copy video? Who has authority to edit video? You better have all of your ducks in a row or you will find yourself being indicted for destruction of evidence.
      Last edited by just joe; 11-04-2014, 07:42 PM.

Comment

You've gotten some good advice there....I'd add that the camera is obvious on the uniform so surreptitious use isn't possible. People (suspects & attorneys) will see you got one so they'll be looking to see if you were on scene in cases that may not even be yours. I'd get your Sheriff to write up a policy before you carry...0.02
        Harry S. Truman, (1884-1972)
        “Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day.”

Capt. E.J. Land USMC,
        “Just remember – life is hard. But it’s one hell of a lot harder if you’re stupid.

George Washington, (1732-1799)
        "I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man."

Originally posted by Country_Jim
        ... Thus far, I am rooting for the zombies.

Comment

Defiantly get a policy first before spending the money.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Comment

Wow I had never even thought about all that. I was just planning on storing all the video on my portable hard drive. It isn't being used for anything now that I've graduated.

They may not allow it and that's something I'll have to find out. I never even considered asking though cause I never would have considered it an issue. I just wanted to do as much as possible to not wind up in Darren Wilson's shoes.

But all the legal/policy issues aside, and let's assume I find out my department doesn't mind...what would you guys recommend for the camera?

Comment

We use the Taser Axon's......easy to use and fantastic quality. Records 30 seconds back upon turning it on but with no audio. No complaints as of yet (been using the axon for a little over a year). The axon is nice because it gives you several different mounting options such as glasses, lapel, collar etc. There is also an app for your phone so you can review your video footage via cell phone when typing a report.

We previously used Vievu and I had no problem with them other than they sucked at night! Super simple and despite it being a small black box on your uniform, most people didn't notice it.

I know they are pricey....could you use clothing allowance to purchase?

Comment

We use Vievu. As noted above, they suck at night, even with ambient lighting. If you want good video, you need to use a flashlight. In our experience the audio is generally much more important than the video because, while you might not be able to see much, you can still hear officer commands and suspect responses.

I can't comment on any other system.

Comment

My agency uses the Taser Axon bodycam for Deputies who are in vehicles not equipped with an in-car video system. I've used them several times and they work pretty well. We store the videos by burning them to DVDs and then dropping them in a secure box. I'm a big advocate of body cams and they've saved my backside a couple of times.

Comment

I'm really liking the Axon. Price is reasonable and seems to outperform the Vievu.

I talked to some of the Lt's around the office and they didn't seem to think it would be a problem. But I'm sure they'd just have to come up with some way of storing the video on our system. We would probably do it the same way we do surveillance video that we collect.

Comment

the vie vue has its own software for your computer for downloading and viewing...video quality is outstanding
                      "I don't go on "I'maworthlesscumdumpster.com" and post negative **** about cum dumpsters."
                      The Tick

"Are you referring to the secret headquarters of a fictional crime fighter or penal complex slang for a-$$hole, anus or rectum?"
                      sanitizer

"and we all know you are a poser and a p*ssy.... "
                      Bearcat357 to Dinner Portion/buck8/long relief

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6146 users online. 370 members and 5776 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X