From the National Law Emforcement Memorial Fund: NLEOMF . ORG

Preliminary 2013 Law Enforcement Officer Fatalities

May 20, 2013 vs. May 20, 2012

2013 2012 % Change
    Total Fatalities 44 36 +22%
    Firearms-related 15 16 -6%
    Traffic-related 16 12 +33%
    Other Causes 13 8 +63%
    Please note: These numbers reflect total officer fatalities comparing May 20, 2013 to May 20, 2012.
    2013 Fatalities by State

California 7
    Arkansas 4
    Arizona 2
    Florida 2
    Louisiana 2
    Mississippi 2
    New York 2
    Virginia 2
    Alaska 1
    Colorado 1
    Georgia 1
    Illinois 1
    Massachusetts 1
    Minnesota 1
    Missouri 1
    Oklahoma 1
    Pennsylvania 1
    South Carolina 1
    Tennessee 1
    Texas 1
    West Virginia 1
    Wisconsin 1

Federal Agencies: 5
    U.S. Territories: 2

I will never tell you how to do your job. You do what you feel is best for YOU. But the numbers are there.

PLEASE BE SAFE!!
    Last edited by djs105; 05-21-2013, 12:33 AM. Reason: Clarification
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”
    ― Edmund Burke

Comment

As of today:

Gunfire: 16
      Automobile Accident: 10

2012:

Gunfire: 47
      Automobile Accident: 21

Gunfire: 67
      Automobile Accident: 37

LASD since 1988 (when I started)

Gunfire: 20

Automobile Accident: 3 (one of which would not have mattered one way or the other)

Which one do you think kills us more out here?
      The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

I wore mine all of the time on patrol, and since going to the school, I wear it to the school from home and from the school to home. When I am just going from the school to a meeting in town or to lunch, I typically do not wear it, unless it is bad weather out (rain, fog, etc)... I know I know, I should ALWAYS wear it! I have an 05 Trailblazer with the seatbelt coming out the top of the seat so turning around in my vest and gear to grab the belt suuuuuucks!!
        The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

"And maybe just remind the few, if ill of us they speak,
        that we are all that stands between
        the monsters and the weak." - Michael Marks

sigpic

Comment

BTW....I am NOT suggesting to not wear your seatbelt at all.....but depending on where you work (or your job assignment) will dictate when/where you were the seatbelt.

On the freeway?....yup....pretty much 100% of the time.

In a dense urban environment where ambushes occur multiple times a year?...not a chance
          The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

Originally posted by major g View Post
            Our department had a close call Sunday when one of our officers crashed in a pursuit. He was walking up to make contact with a driver when the driver took off, and our officer initiated a pursuit. Our officer hit a patch of sand on a corner, and went head first into an oak tree at high speed. He's in he hospital with a broken femur, 8 broken ribs, and some pretty good lacerations, but he will recover.

Point I wanted to make is that his seatbelt saved his life. I spoke to him yesterday at the hospital and he said that he barely remembers putting his seatbelt back on when he jumped back in the cruiser, but it was a natural reaction as soon as he got in the seat. I have heard the argument here before that some only wear their seatbelt in a pursuit, or when responding code, but the only reason he put his seatbelt on was that it was already in muscle memory, it wasn't something he purposely did.

Not trying to get in an argument, but it is food for thought.

PS I have to add that his cruiser acted exactly the way it should in a crash. Airbag deployed, engine dropped (ended up under the driver seat), and the whole front end is caved in halfway to the windshield, but there was no intrusion into the passenger compartment. Gotta love the Crown Vic.
            Keep wearing them. Always. Excuses are like rectums. Everyone has one and they all stink.
            The All New
            BBQ and Goldfish Pond Club
            Sully - IAM Rand - JasperST - L1 - The Tick - EmmaPeel - Columbus - LA Dep - SgtSlaughter - OneAdam12 - Retired96 - Iowa #1603
            - M1Garand

(any BBQ and Goldfish Pond member may nominate another user for membership but just remember ..... this ain't no weenie roast!)

Comment

Originally posted by LA DEP View Post
              BTW....I am NOT suggesting to not wear your seatbelt at all.....but depending on where you work (or your job assignment) will dictate when/where you were the seatbelt.

On the freeway?....yup....pretty much 100% of the time.

In a dense urban environment where ambushes occur multiple times a year?...not a chance
              After experiencing our first gun fight in the hood, I learned rather quickly that it's a lot faster to [email protected]$$ the vehicle and to continue the fight without the seat belt than it was wearing it. Considering the fact that a car crash would be less likely than a gun fight, I opted to not wear it when in the hood. On the freeway, certainly, as soon as "high speed chase" commenced, sure, but while patrolling and looking for street addresses in the hood, H3LL NO!
              Getting shot hurts! Don't under estimate the power of live ammo. A .22LR can kill you! I personally feel that it's best to avoid being shot by any caliber. Your vest may stop the bullet, but you'll still get a nice bruise or other injury to remember the experience.

Comment

I got it in the habit a while ago that when I get close to a call, like 2-3 blocks, I pop off the seatbelt. Also, I take it off before I light up a car for a stop.

To each their own.
                “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”
                ― Edmund Burke

Comment

Originally posted by bigcitypolice06 View Post
                  put it on when driving code3 or on the freeway, however when I am cruising the streets it is off....its pretty much burned into muscle memory, engine revs belt goes on...
                  But you have to let off the gas in order to pull it across your body....lol I hate that.

Comment

I always wear mine, having been rammed by a vehicle trying to make off wearing the seat belts probably prevented nasty injuries to me and my colleague.

Comment

Just an FYI: Officers involved in accidents are having their patrol vehicle data boxes pulled and being charged for seatbelt violations as well as department reprimand here in Tennessee. The highway patrol are the ones who work officer involved accidents, so therefore citations are issued from the State if the data box reveals the seatbelt was not connected at the time of the accident....
                      "Injustice Anywhere is a Threat to Justice Everywhere"-M.L.K. Jr.

Comment

Always wear mine (I think the one exception is if I'm pulling from a parking spot up to the fuel pumps ). It's just been such a lifelong habit that I don't even realize I put it on or take it off, it's usually off before I put the car in park at a call. It adds zero time to what I'm doing, and it keeps my butt glued to the seat if I'm going around curves or stopping suddenly.

YMMV.
                        ~Sunny

>>Ephesians 6:13<<

Comment

Originally posted by Memphis_Fed View Post
                          Just an FYI: Officers involved in accidents are having their patrol vehicle data boxes pulled and being charged for seatbelt violations as well as department reprimand here in Tennessee. The highway patrol are the ones who work officer involved accidents, so therefore citations are issued from the State if the data box reveals the seatbelt was not connected at the time of the accident....
                          Its happening here too. An officer from a neighboring agency took a 3 day rip for not wearing his seatbelt after they downloaded the ACM when he was involved in a crash. I can envision a day where workmans comp will be denied if an officer is found to not be wearing a seatbelt. Don't do that to yourself or your family!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4847 users online. 301 members and 4546 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X