300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seatbelts!!!

Our department had a close call Sunday when one of our officers crashed in a pursuit. He was walking up to make contact with a driver when the driver took off, and our officer initiated a pursuit. Our officer hit a patch of sand on a corner, and went head first into an oak tree at high speed. He's in he hospital with a broken femur, 8 broken ribs, and some pretty good lacerations, but he will recover.

Point I wanted to make is that his seatbelt saved his life. I spoke to him yesterday at the hospital and he said that he barely remembers putting his seatbelt back on when he jumped back in the cruiser, but it was a natural reaction as soon as he got in the seat. I have heard the argument here before that some only wear their seatbelt in a pursuit, or when responding code, but the only reason he put his seatbelt on was that it was already in muscle memory, it wasn't something he purposely did.

Not trying to get in an argument, but it is food for thought.

PS I have to add that his cruiser acted exactly the way it should in a crash. Airbag deployed, engine dropped (ended up under the driver seat), and the whole front end is caved in halfway to the windshield, but there was no intrusion into the passenger compartment. Gotta love the Crown Vic.

I always wear mine too. I just take it off around the corner from showing up on a call in case I need to bail out of the car in a hurry.
    10-8 like a shark in a sea of crime. (SgtScott31 jacked this from me, I had it first, but no hard feelings.)

Comment

put it on when driving code3 or on the freeway, however when I am cruising the streets it is off....its pretty much burned into muscle memory, engine revs belt goes on...
      "For he is God’s servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is the servant of God, an avenger who carries out God’s wrath on the wrongdoer." Romans 13:4

Comment

I always wear mine... like the OP says, it's muscle memory. I also do it to set an example -- even through Police are exempt from wearing seatbelts while on duty in a patrol vehicle in MD, the public doesn't know that, and I would feel like a hypocrite if I cited someone for not being restrained by a seatbelt when I myself wasn't either.

Comment

Ya never written a driver a seatbelt ticket....or any adult for that matter, not really my business if a person wants to risk their safety that is their personal choice.....now not belting your children is another issue all together.....
          "For he is God’s servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is the servant of God, an avenger who carries out God’s wrath on the wrongdoer." Romans 13:4

Comment

Originally posted by bigcitypolice06 View Post
            Ya never written a driver a seatbelt ticket....or any adult for that matter, not really my business if a person wants to risk their safety that is their personal choice.....now not belting your children is another issue all together.....
            Like mp1161 I used to work in MD, and I don't know if it's a state wide thing or not, but there is a definite push to cite seatbelt violators. I know my chief there was huge on it, and if a supervisor saw a warning for seatbelt come through, he'd give you a (good natured) hard time. I guess different things different places.

Comment

I wear my sealtbelt pretty much at all times on duty, except when responding to the obvious like a 10-80 on foot etc. Since I have written for seatbelts I feel obligated to wear it. Plus ya never know if some drunk plows into you at 50 MPH while your sitting at a stop light or running radar etc.

Comment

I wear mine almost all of the time. It's just a habit. We haven't gotten really strict on enforcing the seatbelt laws here, for adults that is. If it's a kid, they better be buckled up. I would feel like a hipocrite as well if I wrote somebody for not wearing one and I don't wear mine.

Comment

I was rear ended on the interstate during an ice storm at 50 mph or so while wearing my seatbelt. The moron who struck me ( I had my LED lights on) totalled his 1990's Toyota Camry. I had a small crack in the rear bumper and some scrapes to it. I had some back pain, but was FINE, because I wore my seatbelt. I always wear my seatbelt on duty, minus when I am stationary.
                  " The Beatings will continue until Morale Improves "

Comment

When I was released on my own about 3 years ago I refused to wear my seatbelt. My reasoning was that during traffic stops what if someone exits and engages me? Summer time last year I was involved in a chase that reached over 110 mph. I did not wear my seat belt. Thank god nothing happend. After that I began to think, we drive a heck of a lot more than we are in shoot-outs. Now it is muscle memory to latch that seatbelt.

Comment

Originally posted by Kenn6530 View Post
                      When I was released on my own about 3 years ago I refused to wear my seatbelt. My reasoning was that during traffic stops what if someone exits and engages me? Summer time last year I was involved in a chase that reached over 110 mph. I did not wear my seat belt. Thank god nothing happend. After that I began to think, we drive a heck of a lot more than we are in shoot-outs. Now it is muscle memory to latch that seatbelt.
                      Policy dictates we wear out seatbelts all the time. It gets to be muscle memory to unlatch it as you role up to a call. A CALEA assessor dinged us because we did not have in policy that an officer could unlatch a seatbelt as they approached a hot call. We told them to Go to H***. That's the only battle we won with them.

Comment

Why would you tell them to go to hell for that, when it's what you do?
                        All Gave Some - Some Gave All

Comment

Originally posted by Resq14 View Post
                          Why would you tell them to go to hell for that, when it's what you do?
                          Policy said officers would wear seatbelts at all times when in a vehicle. If we are rolling up to a call and unlatch the belt, without putting the transmission in Park and turning the ignitions off first, we are violating policy. Fortunately, IA has not caught onto it, yet.

Comment

Ok I guess I misread your post...
                            All Gave Some - Some Gave All

Comment

Originally posted by Ramblinman View Post
                              I always wear mine too. I just take it off around the corner from showing up on a call in case I need to bail out of the car in a hurry.
                              Same here. Been doing it for years, it is muscle memory now.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6325 users online. 349 members and 5976 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X