Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BPD_126
    Forum Member
    • Apr 2007

Had ABA Extreme for a round, now with Second Chance. Both were IIIA. ABA was awesome because it was so thin. Second Chance is about twice as thick and twice as heavy.

Comment

• literocola
      Forum Member
      • Jul 2012

Armorshield USA: Level 2a. Probably the least comfortable vest I've ever worn. I wore a Safariland for 2 years way back in 04 before NIJ6 and it was a lot better than this one but this armorshield thing is what my current agency supplies.

I'm looking for something much better! My wife is also a LEO with a large agency. She got a Second Chance Level 2 with trauma plates and it's a lot lighter than the one my agency provided and has a higher protection factor!
      "I'm not even gonna dignify myself with a response to that" Rod Farva

Comment

• Lady Blue
        Bitch With A Badge
        • Nov 2013

I have been wearing a Savvy level IIIa for a little over a year. Prior to that I wore a mans vest. The Savvy is the most comfortable (relative I know, but still...) vest I have had since it is designed for a woman. It has more built in adjustment points than a mans vest, it is shaped to fit a woman's body, and most importantly I finally have a vest that doesn't leave me with gaps in coverage in some places and too much bulk in others.
        In God We Trust
        Everyone else we run local and NCIC

Comment

• Rocket1487
          Forum Member
          • Nov 2009

I wear a second chance IIIa vest. Before I had a streichers brand IIIa. I don't mind a little thicker vest. It fits great and broke in quick. The place I got it from sold it with a hard trauma plate three carriers total. Not a bad deal.

Comment

• stormz5192
            Opionated
            • Feb 2008

ABA extreme and I hate it. It's creased in the front. Will be getting fitted for a new one in Feb. state contract is PACA and ABA. I'll look at the upgrade choices while I'm there as well. I'll pay the extra few $ to be comfortable. Luckily, vests are ever changing and every 5 years when my warranty is up, they are much better.
            Being a good street cop is like coming to work in a wet suit and peeing in your pants. It's a nice warm feeling, but you're the only one who knows anything has happened.

Comment

• Caspertoo
              Sh*t Magnet
              • Dec 2004

My agency has Armor Express. It's thin but form fitting and doesn't breath very well at all. The carrier is similar to neoprene and its awfully hot in the summer. The shoulder straps are just elastic so it doesn't stay in place and the weight is bore on your side straps more than the shoulder so ultimately your back kills. Of the 3 vests i've worn, this is by far the worst.
              Illegitimi non carborundum - Don't let the bastards grind you down.

Comment

• jchughes05
                Calves of Justice
                • Mar 2006

Point Blank Vision w/ Thor Shield- VERY comfortable!

US Armor - bulkier, heavier, feels more secure, but less comfortable. Does not breathe well in summer, keeps you warm in winter.... Edges started to roll within a few months from sitting and having items hitting it.
                The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

"And maybe just remind the few, if ill of us they speak,
                that we are all that stands between
                the monsters and the weak." - Michael Marks

sigpic

Comment

• apex
                  Forum Member
                  • Oct 2013

All:
                  My agency is in the process of a complete gear overhaul/update. New guns, uniforms and vests. I got assigned vest detail.
                  I've had ABA (IIIA-felt like robo cop), Second Chance (II-awesome and comfortable..was made with Zylon and it turned out it wouldn't stop bullets...but super comfy), Point Blank (IIIA-awful is all the comes to mind) and now a Safariland (IIIA-back to robo-cop).

I'm super interested in the Dyeema or Spectra vest materials (uhmwpe) as they are thin and light. I'm worried some about heat though as we are in the hot and humid south.

I'm also really looking at the carrier materials as I think that's even more important than the vest most of the time. The ones with the really slick insides slide all over the place and guys just always seem to spend more time trying to get those back in place than anything else (that's the main reason I hated the Point Blank vest....inside so slick that it was like moving round inside a shell...I'd turn left and the vest would still be pointing straight ahead. it was awful.

I'd love any details you guys can give. I've been told that while price is important, its more important to have guys that'll wear their vests so I'm to find some good ones.

I'll take any advice and details you've got.

Thanks

Comment

• Resq14
                    RIP Seann1
                    • Oct 2002

I'll quote myself from another thread:

GENERAL RULE OF ARMOR:

- LIGHTEST
                    - CHEAPEST
                    - BEST PROTECTION

CHOOSE ANY TWO

An armor SME Dr. Gary Roberts (linked to below) recommends the following for soft body armor for US LE officers:
                    - NIJ IIIA that also meets the FBI Armor Protocol
                    or
                    - NIJ IIIA 100% woven aramid (Kevlar, Twaron) construction

"Buyers should be wary, as there are laminated aramids, such as Gold Flex, that can be called 100% aramids, that are NOT the same as 100% WOVEN p-aramids."

Historically, soft body armor has not been tested against point-blank/contact shots. Some newer fabrics, blends, and laminates are compromised by the high-heat from muzzle blasts, allowing the round to compromise the armor. The FBI test includes contact shot evaluation. 100% woven aramids are also dependable in a contact shot situation. Armor companies usually try to push pricier and/or lighter models with the more exotic blends and laminates (SpectraShield, Dyneema, etc), so buyer beware.

Good info below -- important reading:

Terminal Ballistic Information For those of us who have used soft body armor, and for those in the market to make a purchase, the following is a must

http://www.itstactical.com/gearcom/b...dy-armor-test/
                    Last edited by Resq14; 02-18-2014, 11:12 PM.
                    All Gave Some - Some Gave All

{"data-align":"none","data-size":"custom","data-tempid":"temp_14312_1475388990098_890","height":"65","title":"flower.gif","width":"72"}

Comment

• XD_Shooter
                      Forum Member
                      • Oct 2008

Point Blank C-Series IIIA, uncomfortable after a few hours... Better then nothing and affordable. $450 delivered to my door. Would be better suited for someone to throw on in the field as needed (detective, admin, ect...) rather than wear 8-12 hours per day...

Comment

• EqualJustice
                        Forum Member
                        • Oct 2010

Department issued Point Blank. No idea what protection level (no label), for all I know its got pay-doh inside. Probably a good idea for me to buy something myself, but hey, gotta pay those taxes!

On the upside its pretty comfortable for a vest.
                        "At his best, man is the noblest of all animals; separated from law and justice he is the worst."
                        -Aristotle

Comment

• bulletproofer
                          Forum Member
                          • Feb 2014

Here's a review on Red Eagle Body Armor vests http://www.practacsys.com/equipment/...tective-vests/

Comment

• ZGXtreme
                            Forum Member
                            • Mar 2005

Guess it is my turn to bump this thread. My Synergy expires next month so my agency has prepped to order our group new vests. Of the vests offered on the bid, I was only able to try on the ABA Xtreme HP while I wanted to try on KDH's offerings with the Valor and the Transformer.

Any user input on the ABA vest, as well as the KDH offerings? The adventurer in me is tempted to jump at the Transformer for something different but wanted to reach out to you all and get your insight.
                            sigpic

Comment

• axelfoley4
                              Forum Member
                              • Dec 2009

Ive been through three vests technically. I first started on the job with a 9 year past expiration level 2 PACA vest. It obviously was not cut for my body and the edges were brittle but the vest was comfortable until it got really warm.

Next I was issued a safariland Extreme 3a? vest. It was one of the soft safariland vests. I hated it. Either it was cut wrong or just the wrong vest for me. It kept riding up and choking me while driving and felt so stiff it felt like a hard armor plate. That lasted less than a couple months.

I am currently running the U.S. Armor level 3a vest and loving every minute of it. The turn around time was much quicker than the safariland and it fits like a dream. After 2-3 months it broke in and I barely feel like on me. It vents the heat nicely in summer.

For those wondering... The 12 or so year old PACA vest got shot up with a full mag of .40 cal at 15 yards up to 1 foot away and not a single round went through the front or back. It even stopped a 12 gauge slug to the front hard plate. Theres your proof that you really dont need to replace them on the expiration date to have them save your life.
                              Alex: You do what you are Jezzie.

Jezzie: You mean you are what you do.

Alex: No, I mean, you do what you are. You're born with a gift. If not that, then you get good at something along the way. And what you're good at, you don't take for granted. You don't betray it.

Jezzie: What if you do, betray your gift?

Alex: Then you betray yourself. That's a sad thing.

Comment

• Wallyworld51
                                Forum Member
                                • Aug 2013

Have worn Second Chance level IIA Monarch for near 5 years now. Only body armor I've worn, so nothing to compare it to. Fairly light even with added Impact handgun plates. The concealed carrier is actually more comfortable than the external........I wear the external for convenience sake but I think my carrier is off size. I like it, though a bit warm in this weather, and am planning on buying the Summit level II in the next few months and will get re-measured for an external carrier w/webbing.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 19472 users online. 54 members and 19418 guests.

Most users ever online was 185,715 at 05:04 PM on 12-04-2023.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...