Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about not carrying a taser

hey every,

I have currently been an officer in a large midwestern department for a little over a year. Due to the terrible retirement system with my current department I am looking at switching departments

I recently learned a department that I have been looking at does not carry tasers. This specific department is VERY highly funded.

what could be the reason for this?

Many. It's ok if they don't.
    Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

1. Budget. They're pretty costly for what they are, plus the frequent factory repairs that are needed, plus software and data storage.
      2. Effectiveness- or lack thereof. Granted it's a small sample, but 3/4 of the times I've personally used a Taser or seen one used, it didn't work and other force was needed.
      3. Many younger officers have become dependent on the Taser and are in deep **** when it doesn't work.
      4. They take up more valuable space and weight on duty belts, adding to back and hip injuries. The gain may not be worth the risk in the long term.
      Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

As ateamer said, budget is usually the issue in matters such as this.

The amount you need and any hidden costs are often a lot more than people think.. First you are looking at the cost of the item and any associated costs. In this case you are look at tasers (usually one per officer), holsters, additional cartridges, back up tasers when others are in for repairs, software, data storage, etc. Then you are looking not only at the cost of training each officer (personnel hours) but at the cost of back filling for that officer in the field while they are being trained (usually at time and a half on overtime). All these things can add up to a huge chuck of change that is not normally available in a department budget just because someone decides to purchase something. Instead, approval for a one time budget increase must be obtained ahead of time from the city counsel.

Funds are usually budgeted way in advance. In a few weeks, my agency will begin the July 1, 2017 to June 30, 2018 fiscal year. Funds for that fiscal year were budgeted in January of 2016. A few months ago my agency just finished budgets for the July 1, 2018 to June 30, 2019 fiscal year. If you want money for a major item, it can be as 18 months before it is available. Once you have funding, toss in the time it takes for drawing up the specs, putting the matter out for bid, awarding the contract, addressing any protests over who was awarded the low bid and you may be looking at another year or so. So, from the time an idea is born to the time funding is approved, bids are let, purchases are made, training is given and equipment is distributed, three or four years may have gone by. Welcome to government.
        Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by cbarr93 View Post
          hey every,

I have currently been an officer in a large midwestern department for a little over a year. Due to the terrible retirement system with my current department I am looking at switching departments

I recently learned a department that I have been looking at does not carry tasers. This specific department is VERY highly funded.

what could be the reason for this?
          The above two answers are credible..................

another reason is......................

Some administrators don't like them.............just like some administrators don't like using the polygraph in the hiring process

Whoever wears the Stars/Eagles make the rules
          Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

(F*** Off Cuz Ur Stupid)

Comment

I don't carry because I am not certified yet, but if you don't have them as a dept its ok, you still have the baton and a handgun
            USAF VETERAN 2004-2012
            "The sheep pretend the wolf will never come, but the sheepdog lives for that day."-LTC Grossman
            MD DPSCS (Correctional Officer I)
            Civil Service Exam (9/23):
            Baltimore County Corrections (Officer I)
            Civil Service Exam (10/07):

Comment

I still carry one because I have room for it or pepper spray and I'm not carrying that ****.
              Last edited by cbump; 05-19-2017, 02:06 PM.

Comment

• Iowa #1603
                Iowa #1603 commented
                Editing a comment
                I have seen a Taser work many times...................I am a believer.........BUT it is usually operator error when it doesn't work

Bad probe placement is the most common problem & deployment too close is the second (IN MY EXPERIENCE)

Yes no doubt, both times the probes were too close together.
              Last edited by cbump; 05-19-2017, 12:20 PM.

Comment

Funding for a tool? Okay.

We dont carry tasers because of politics! Don't forget that you work for a civil body (City Council, County Supes, etc). Sometimes it's because that body that has decided that Tasers are bad. "Show me an agency that has been sued for NOT using a taser" straight out of Administration's mouth.
                semper destravit

Comment

"Show me an agency that has been sued for NOT using a taser" straight out of Administration's mouth.
                  Every time they are sued for using a baton instead.

Any time you could use a taser you can use your baton. Just start doing that.
                  "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

^^^^^^^

just smile and nod.
                    semper destravit

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 13297 users online. 511 members and 12786 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X