300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• taser usage

I was in a store the other day and a lady, who saw my taser on my belt, asked me how my department could still use tasers after all the deaths that have been reported. She then went on to say that her son was tazed 6 times by police from a different department.
    Now I am not one who likes to speak with citizens about things that they already have set opions on. But I felt that this needed to be addressed.
    I first asked her about her son. She showed me a picture of a very large football playing teenager. She stated that he has had some drug problems before and has been arrested for fighting. I asked her if he had been under the influence of drugs or alcohol, which she stated he had smoked meth.
    I advised her that most of the deaths that have been reported were of suspects who had been under the influence of drugs. I advised her that if the officer or officer's are unable to gain controle of the suspect physically, they need to use more force ie, mace, baton or bean bag. I further advised her that if the suspect is under the influence of drugs they may not feel pain so mace or baton will not work. A bean bag gun is not readily accessable. so the other thing would be a gun or a taser. I advised her that if her son is shot with a gun, he has a higher chance of dying than with the taser. I advised her that any weapon can kill. The taser is more of a last chance option for the officer before using deadly force which he would be using if he used a gun.
    She told me that she has seen on "COPS" several officers are used to gain control of a suspect. I advised her that "cops" is also edited and in the real world, it is looked upon as police beating a suspect. After about 30 minutes she, although was not completly convinced, understood why tasers are needed by the police. Citizens have made it hard for police to pursue a suspect in a vehicle because they have not been told why they are needed. If people aren't advised why tasers are needed, the taser will be the next thing officers will lose.

Kudos to you for taking the time to explain....

Comment

Good job man. Also, good idea to point out that less than 120 people have died after a Taser was deployed (and nearly all had meth, coke, or other high power stimulants in their system).

After I went through Taser training, I got asked by some people who knew I was a cop about it. I ended up having an hour long discussion with some faculty members from my college. When completed, I think they were very satisified and almost all understood the need for the Taser. Also, I think alot of them had never had an in depth conversation with a LEO before. It was interesting to be able to see perceptions change face to face like that.
      Nobody ever wants to have to fight, but its a darn good idea for someone to know how.

Comment

30 minutes to explain. Damn.
        "Support Our Troops"

Comment

she could have gotten to know the tazer as i did and taken the 5 sec ride

Comment

Wish I had that kind of time here. Not that I would spend it arguing with a civilian about why we need it.

Good job on "advising" though.

K9

Comment

Originally posted by jeeper
              Good job man. Also, good idea to point out that less than 120 people have died after a Taser was deployed (and nearly all had meth, coke, or other high power stimulants in their system).
              You could also mention that of those 120 people, none of their deaths have been directly attributed to the TASER. The news calls them "TASER-related deaths" simply because the TASER was used at some point and later the person died. There has been no establishment of a causal relationship.

Going by the same logic, you could also call those deaths "handcuff-related" since all those people had handcuffs on before they died.
              Cogito ergo summopere periculosus.

Comment

Originally posted by eyerish101
                A week after I got to take the ride, I was still able to hear the ringing. It was the worst pain I ever felt.

Comment

I wish all departments would get them. I would not mind having one when I have to tango with a 6'5 300lb high school football player who has no respect for LE. Of course the first kid that got tasered would be front page news. I went through the class. The ground did not hurt that bad when I hit it. We don't even carry pepper spray anymore Oh well, guess we will stick to good ol fashion woopin. Stay safe.
                  Arguing with a Cop is like mud wrestling with a pig. Eventually you will realize that the Pig likes it.

My Chief

Comment

Originally posted by eyerish101
                    LOL my kind of LEO

We dont have them in Memphis

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5015 users online. 328 members and 4687 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X