Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Explain why you need to be tased to carry a Taser?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Explain why you need to be tased to carry a Taser?

While a Taser may not officially be "less lethal", I thought this forum was looking a little sad with no threads.

I am curious to read some of the reasoning behind being tased as part of taser training. I understand this concept with OC spray, because you are being familiarized with how the spray feels, and learning that you can fight through the pain. Also, OC spray is something that when deployed is likely to impact the officer as well as the suspect.

Now, the whole point of the Taser is the impact on the central nervous system. A good Taser strike supposedly cannot be fought through, so why be exposed to the Taser just to experience the pain and neuro-muscular interruption? Some have said, "So you'll know what it can do." Of course, this is an easy one to attack, because I know what my firearm and baton can do without being shot or taking full force strikes. I know what a bean bag can do without playing Johnny Knoxville and getting shot with one.
    "A fanatic is one who won't change his mind, and won't change the subject." -Winston Churchill

"I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts." -Will Rogers

"To desire to save these wolves in society may arise from benevolence, but it must be the benevolence of a child or a fool" -Henry Fielding

I have never been tasered, as we do not carry tasers, but I believe I know why most departments require getting tasered. (Someone correct me if I am off)

I have heard that you need to be able to testify why you shot somebody who pointed a taser at you. You need to be able to say "I know that I would become incompacitated if I were to be shot by a taser, leaving my weapon vulnerable. That is why I shot the person pointing the taser at me."

I have hard the saying, "If you point a taser at a police officer, you just brought a taser to a gun fight."

Someone correct me if Im wrong.
    U.S. Coast Guard R since 2006.
    Petty Officer Third Class (E-4)

Comment

I think you're probably correct, but that line of reasoning could apply to firearms, knives, bats, etc. Why is being instructed on the Taser and watching videos on its incapacitating effects not sufficient? Only because we feel like there is no permanent injury?

And so no one mistakes, I've experienced the lightning myself. I just wonder why it's necessary? I've probably missed something somewhere, but it just doesn't seem necessary to me.
      "A fanatic is one who won't change his mind, and won't change the subject." -Winston Churchill

"I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts." -Will Rogers

"To desire to save these wolves in society may arise from benevolence, but it must be the benevolence of a child or a fool" -Henry Fielding

Comment

When we take our ride on the taser, I'm sooo going to yell, right before the trigger pull: "Don't taze me, bro'!"
        Sure, that badge will get you midgets, but those midgets will get that badge!

The more I learn about people, the more I prefer the company of my dogs.

Comment

I don't see the point of it either.

Comment

I don't see the point either, and it's really gonna' suck, but I am bound and determined to have fun with it, since it probably can't be avoided.
            Sure, that badge will get you midgets, but those midgets will get that badge!

The more I learn about people, the more I prefer the company of my dogs.

Comment

Because TASER cartridges are expensive, and for each live exposure (with the darts, at least), TASER makes some cash-money on the replacement cartridge?

TPD's explanation is the way it was explained to me as well. We know that we are fully immobilized, and have no way to fight through it, so it makes it that much easier to articulate a use of deadly force if someone disarms us of a TASER, or points a TASER at us. Could we probably articulate it anyway, based on the videos we've seen...? Yes, I reckon so.

It also lets us understand that when we've got the button held down for 30 seconds, yelling at the suspect to put his arms out to the side, he can't. (That irks the heck out of me, officers screaming commands to a guy who's going for a ride. He's neuro-muscularly incapacitated. That's the point of the device. He can't move. They teach us that in class! Now move in, and cuff under power. They teach us THAT, too.)

I think maybe the idea of doing the live exposure really had traction when TASERs were brand new, and nobody was familiar with their effects. It let us know how it would effect us. It let us articulate a use of deadly force against a TASER. It let us testify that, no, it's not some horrible cattle-prod device, and we're not torturing a suspect. And it gives us some (miniscule) level of protection if something unfortunate happens in a TASER deployment, and the suspect ends up hurt. After all, it can't be that horrible if we did it ourselves and survived.

But now videos of TASER uses are all over the place on the Internet and TV. Everybody from the cops to the crooks knows what to expect. That's why the TASER gains compliance so well even without being fired. And as for articulating its safety, etc., TASER has books of statistics on that now, too.

Oh, and to anyone who says there are no lasting injuries from the TASER, feel free to look at the nice little burn scars I have. A five second ride, but a lifetime reminder...

Comment

There is another possible explaination that has to do with liability......

The manufacturer, in this case Taser International, “recommends” that the person using their product experience the effects of the device. They have several explainations for this recommendation----but they do in fact recommend the ride.

If in the course of using the device, a department gets sued Taser Int. could very easily and truthfully state that the officer AND department was using the device outside of the manufacturers recommendations. This could go badly for the department and the officer who used the Taser.
                My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Originally posted by Bighead View Post
                  I think you're probably correct, but that line of reasoning could apply to firearms, knives, bats, etc. Why is being instructed on the Taser and watching videos on its incapacitating effects not sufficient? Only because we feel like there is no permanent injury?

And so no one mistakes, I've experienced the lightning myself. I just wonder why it's necessary? I've probably missed something somewhere, but it just doesn't seem necessary to me.
                  I by no means am diagreeing with you about having to be hit with the Taser to carry it. So far, two of the departments I have been with, it has been optional to feel the Taser. It was not required to take the ride, to carry it.

But I just had to say, come on... Are you serious with the whole firearms, knives, baton thing? That's just common sense. Those give PERMANENT damage. A gun shot, a stab, or a full force hit with the baton.... Taser is a temporary thing, such as the O.C. and for some people who are so fortunate like me, the gas house. That's just comparing apples and oranges.

But, a lot of time people believe they can fight through the Taser, so I can see having some people demonstrate how unless something fails with it or whatever, it isn't happening. Also, probably to strengthen the argument in court if you shoot someone attacking you with a Taser. Sure, they can tell you it will temporarily stop you from doing anything and that you can shoot. But, it's similar to O.C. Now that I got sprayed, the way my body handled it, you better believe I can very well articulate the need for deadly force if the bad guy tries to spray me. Talk about incapacitate....

But as I said, I agree with you and don't believe everyone NEEDS to be tased. You will get pretty much the same effect with it no matter who you tase, compared to such drastic differences of people when they are sprayed with O.C.

Comment

I also wanted to add... I don't get how people claim that the Taser is the cause of death in some cases. I want to see the numbers of how many times the Taser has been used on a Law Enforcement Officer for training and how many of them died.... I just don't get how the few cases, the M.E. has put Taser as the primary cause of death.. Maybe seconday mixed with drugs or whatever else.. But not primary.

That's all. Had to get that out.

Comment

You don't have to be tased to be certified to carry the Taser any longer.
                      Why are there so many babies on O.com? Creole, you and your buddy JPSO Recruit help me out on this one....

* "Preach always, if necessary, use words!" St Francis of Assisi

* Luke Chapter 6, Verses 27-36

Comment

Just as long as I don't have to be shot to carry a gun...

Been tased twice.... It hurts!

Comment

Listen, I also have taken the FULL FIVE SECOND ride with the prongs during training. I would like to say that having the exposure is GOOD not only for justification reasons but also to keep officers in check so as not to ABUSE with the taser's....
                          "Remember your warrior mindset, YOU are the SHEEPDOG, stay in the FIGHT and never give up until the threat is over"

Comment

TASER does not require an exposure to be certified as either an end-user or an instructor, only for Master Instructor. Any "requirement" for you to take the ride is only through your department or peer pressure.
                            NRA Life Member

The police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence. - Sir Robert Peel

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. - H. L. Mencken

Comment

Originally posted by mwpd03 View Post
                              Listen, I also have taken the FULL FIVE SECOND ride with the prongs during training. I would like to say that having the exposure is GOOD not only for justification reasons but also to keep officers in check so as not to ABUSE with the taser's....
                              +1 on the not to abuse with the taser!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2995 users online. 127 members and 2868 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X