300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with PD Rule Changes

Last edited by fordman318; 03-28-2010, 10:51 PM.

I don't know how things work in Texas. Do you have a contract?

Probation is addressed in ours. If you have a contract and it's not defined there, that might be something to square away...

And no, it's not you - that is ridiculous.
    All Gave Some - Some Gave All

{"data-align":"none","data-size":"custom","data-tempid":"temp_14312_1475388990098_890","height":"65","title":"flower.gif","width":"72"}

Comment

Last edited by fordman318; 03-28-2010, 10:51 PM.

Comment

ur on probation, they can dump u for any reason. ride it out.
        Perseverate In Pugna

Comment

from my understanding, you get off probation 1 year after your swear in date. atleast, that's how it is with some the departments here in AZ.

Comment

IMHO...

You should have been grandfathered into the old rules since you were hired before the new rules were put into place.

In REALITY...

The 16 weeks will probably be over before you can do anything about it.

The BRASS...

Most Chiefs have most of their spines removed upon promotion. They only have enough left to walk around.

*DISCLAIMER*

Not MY Chief.
            ROLL TIDE!!!

Comment

Did you ever get a letter telling you that you had successfully completed probation? It sucks, but you just need to ride it out. If you are released in the disputed time, at that point I would make a stink about it and get an attorney involved. Other than that, don't make waves.

Comment

Seems like a big deal now but ultimately it will only amount to a small, if any, inconvienence. Like ABC said, the 16 weeks would probably be over faster than any legal action your considering. Plus you will be labeled a trouble maker on the department and likely be passed over for any special assignments you might be interested in.

Ride it out dude.
                Two people can keep a secret if one of them is dead.

Comment

Last edited by fordman318; 03-28-2010, 11:14 PM.

Comment

You'll have to accept your attorney's advice that there's nothing to be done about it. Take this as a warning; get everything in writing and preserve all the paperwork. It wouldn't surprise me if the city uses those 16 weeks again if they think it will save them a few dollars. Sorry, we award pensions after 20 years. You worked 19 years, 36 weeks.

Comment

In Arkansas probation is 12 months from date of hire, and you're sworn in before ever attending the academy. I think any time you're hired under one pretext and have that changed without being informed that you're dealt with a big hand of B.S. I feel for you, and I left what I call my "starter agency" for that exact reason. I don't think there's much you can do about it. When I was under civil service rules they didn't apply until after my probation period had surpassed so I imagine the same applies to you. Sorry.

Comment

If I were you, I'd ride out the probation and leave once you're off. If the Chief or anybody asks why, tell them straight up it was because you were lied to. Make sure you have your positive yearly assessment in hand before doing this. Good luck.

Comment

One way or the other you're considered "still on probation" by your agency and the entity (city) that hired you. Since in most jurisdictions you can be fired without cause during your probationary period, I'd keep my mouth shut until officially off probation. At that time (if it's worth it to you), file complaint/claim against the agency demanding your back pay.

The 16 weeks you're talking about isn't a huge amount of time when compared with the 20+ years you hope to enjoy in your career. Pick you battle(s) wisely, as your willingness to go up against management in this matter will probably be remembered for a long time and very possibly affect what kind of special details or promotions you'll get (or be denied) in the future. If you decide you have to fight, do so to win but consider the long term consequences.
                          "I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Comment

That really sucks and does not sound right. It is up to you if you want to fight it or not. You may get retaliation for it or you might not.

ALso i have heard TMPA sucks with civil service. It may be worth it to join CLEAT and see what they say. It sounds like you have a case but i would ask CLEAT before you raise a stink.

Comment

Unless you want to work somewhere else let it go. We all know the brass can suck at times, and alot of the rules suck. But it is not worth getting stuck in the same job/assignment for 30 years to make a point. But that is just me, I would say something if I had another job and was leaving, but not unless.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4790 users online. 240 members and 4550 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X