300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jail "Design flaw" is a hole in the wall

I guess these guys were rodents, if they could get their skull through the rest of the body could follow...

http://www.nwfdailynews.com/news/jai...a_through.html

Inmates still on the loose due to 'design flaw' in jail
    Comments 15 | Recommend 0
    July 28, 2008 - 3:17PM
    Robbyn Brooks
    Daily News
    MILTON - One man imprisoned for kidnapping a minor and aggravated battery and another in custody for armed robbery and assault are still on the loose after they squeezed through a 12-inch-by-12-inch opening at the Santa Rosa County Jail Saturday night.
    The opening led the men through another narrow area, then up to the roof. Investigators suspect the men were probably picked up not far from the jail.

Ricky Dale Spears, 43, and David Chapell Dixon, 20, were not cellmates, said Santa Rosa County Sheriff's Office Spokesperson Sgt. Scott Haines. They did, however, share a common pod.

Haines said he didn't know why other inmates didn't follow the two out during their escape.

"The size of the person had some play into it," Haines said of the small space.

Jail officials are calling the space a "design flaw" that went undetected by prisoners and personnel until this escape. It's been 10 years since the Santa Rosa County facility opened.

The architectural firm that designed the jail, L. Robert Kimball & Associates, had not heard of the possible flaw or escape until a phone call was made by the Daily News Monday morning. A spokesperson there said the company would have to look into the situation further before making a comment.

South Woods State Prison in Bridgeton, N.J. was also designed by Kimball and opened the same year the Santa Rosa County Jail.
    Monday morning was also the first time the New Jersey Department of Corrections heard about the escape. Department of Corrections Spokesperson Matthew Schuman said South Woods has never had an escape, and that considering some of the inmates housed there, he'd be surprised if they had not discovered a way out through a flaw in the building's design.

K-9 teams, helicopters and about 75 deputies canvassed the area around the Santa Rosa County Jail until daybreak Sunday. Now, deputies and investigators are following up on leads in hopes of finding the men.

Haines said both men should be considered dangerous.

Spears had been in jail since early May after he picked up a 14-year-old girl from a skating rink in Milton April 18. At that time Spears was already a convicted felon with an extensive criminal history including armed robbery and burglary. He and the girl were found hiding underneath a home in the Munson area that belonged to the girl's grandmother.

Dixon, of Pace, was in jail awaiting trial for charges of armed robbery, aggravated battery and escape.

Haines said the jail is being inspected to make certain no more design flaws go unnoticed. Until all inspections and corrections are made, inmates that were housed in the pod where the escape happened are under lockdown. Headcounts are being done every 15 minutes.

Anyone with information on the escape or the whereabouts of Spears and Dixon should call the Santa Rosa County Sheriff's Office at 983-1190 or Crime Stoppers at 437-STOP. Anyone providing information that leads to the apprehension of either man is eligible for a cash reward of up to $1,000.
    I miss you, Dave.
    http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

12" x 12"??? Must have been some skinny midgets...
    "You don't want the truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that wall, you need me on that wall... I have neither the time, nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it."

Comment

my head wouldnt fit through that
      Perseverate In Pugna

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3039 users online. 143 members and 2896 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
      Working...
      X