300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spanish SFST

Can someone private message me or post on here, the SFST in Spanish? I need HGN, walk and turn, and one leg stand. I'd really appreciate it.

Yes, if you could post it or PM the same to me, I'd greatly appreciate it as well.

Comment

Are you bilingual in Spanish? If not, there will almost certainly be issues in court.
      Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

Order a command spanish for law enforcement book. It is in there.
        No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we require him to obey it.
        -Theodore Roosevelt

The views expressed by this screen name do not represent any civilian,municipal, military, or federal law enforcement agency and are strictly the views of the individual writing. Under no circumstances should someone consider the content of these posts to have anything less than a great deal of sarcasm interlaced throughout. Read at your own risk.

Comment

There may be issues brought up in court about being certified/qualified as a translator. Having said that, I've never had a problem, and I think it's great that you want to do your own. If you want to further reduce the odds of having a problem in court, call ICE for deportation. Here's a version that was given to me by a guy in our DUI unit:

HGN

1. I'm am going to check your eyes. (please remove your glasses)

Te voy a revisar los ojos. (por favor quitate los lentes)

2. Keep your head still and follow my finger with your eyes only.

No se mueve las cabeza y sigue me dedo solo con los ojos.

3. Do not move your head.

No se mueve la cabeza.

4. Do you understand the instructions?

Entendiste las instrucciones?

Walk and Turn

1. Put your left foot on the line and put your right foot in front of it wiht your right heel touching your left tow. Keep your hands at your side.

Pon el pie izquierdo en la linea y pon el pie derecho adelante del otro, el tacon en la punta del zapato izquierdo, de este modo. Manten los brazos al lado pegados al cuerpo.

2. Do no start until I tell you to.

No empieces hasta que te diga.

3. Do you understand the instructions?

4. When I tell you to begin, take nine heel-to-toe steps on the line, turn around, keeping one foot on the line and return nine heel-to-toe steps.

Cuando te diga, camina nueve pasos, el tacon en la punta del zapato en la linea, de este modo (demonstrate heel-to-toe). Da vuelat mientras mantienes el pie izquierdo en la linea, y regresa de la misma forma.

5. While walking, watch your feet at all times, keep arms at side and count steps out loud. Once you begin, do not stop until test is completed.

Mientras caminas, ve los pies todo el tiempo, manten los brazos al lad pegados al cuerpo y cuenta los pasos en voz alta. No pares hasta que termines el examen.

6. Do you understand the instructions?

7. You may begin.

Puedes empezar de nuevo.

One-Leg Stand

1. Stand with you heels together and your arms at your side.

Parate aqui con los pies juntos y manten los brazos al lado pegados al cuerpo.

2. Do not begin the test until I tell you to.

No empieces hasta que te diga.

3. Do you understand?

Entendiste?

4. When I tell you to, I want you to raise one leg, either leg, approximately six inches off the ground, foot pointed out. Keep both legs straight and keep your eyes on the elevated foot.

Cuando te diga, levanta un pie en el aire con la punta estirada por seis pulgadas do este modo (demonstrate pointed toe, 6 inches from ground). Manten la pierna rigida y ve la punta del zapato elevado.

5. While holding that position, count out loud, on thousand one, one thousand two, one thousand three, and so forth until told to stop.

Mientras mantienes esa posicion, cuenta en voz alta, mil uno, mil dos, mil tres, y asi sucesivamente hasta que te diga que pares.

6. Do you understand the instructions?

7. You may begin.

Puedes empezar de nuevo.
          "You have never lived until you have almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know." --Dave Grossman

Comment

Thanks KCPD2528, I really appreciate you posting them for me and others.

Yea, we have our own immigration unit now, so I just call them, and they will call the jail and place a detainer on them and get them when they come to work.

Comment

I work in a very rural township with just 1 or 2 cars on the road and maybe the SO might have someone who is fluent, but honestly if I encounter someone is who doesn't speak english (we have migrant workers who work on the farms in the township during the summer) then I'll most likely be on my own. I know some of the basics, something like this is a help.

Comment

My dept issues a card with various traffic/law enforcement related questions in several different languages spanish to vietnamese). They are not specific to SFSTs but useful for basic stuff like "license and rgistration", "what is your address" etc. Send a PM and I will find some and mail them.

Comment

Thanks for this. Saves me the time of translating for my cheat sheet.
                  "Fighting Crime....Suppressing Evil"

Comment

Originally posted by Brejcha View Post
                    Thanks for this. Saves me the time of translating for my cheat sheet.
                    Brejcha, those SFST instructions in spanish are great if you have a decent grasp on Spanish already, but if you're at all in doubt, call out for a spanish speaker to translate SFSTs. If you're gonna go with them yourself, more power to you. I'm working on them.

Be prepared to use the language line for other languages, though. Good luck finding a Vietnamese speaking officer on a Saturday night.
                    "No one can make you feel like a turd without your permission." - Eleanor Roosevelt.

Comment

Originally posted by ateamer View Post
                      Are you bilingual in Spanish? If not, there will almost certainly be issues in court.
                      This. Colorado's DUI statute is so wide open you don't really need it. I can do HGN in very, very rudimentary Spanish ("ojos aqui [pointing at fingertip], no mueva la cabeza"). That's the most complex Spanish I can muster, and as you know, the instructions for walk and turn and one leg stand are not complicated, but they are very specific.

I can't muster the Spanish to the correct specificity, so if there is no interpreter I skip those two. HGN plus observations of impairment (bloodshot watery eyes, swaying while standing, odor of an unknown alcoholic beverage, driving behavior, etc.) will get you a conviction in Colorado.

Btw, it always bugs me when I see an officer write "slurred speech" or "thick-tongued speech" about a suspect whose language they don't speak. If you don't speak the language, how in the heck can you possibly know that? It looks like malfeance to me. I always state, "Because I did not speak the suspect's language, I was unable to observe whether his speech was slurred, thick-tongued, or otherwise abnormal."
                      MAC

Comment

Being able to say the in Spanish is one thing, can you understand their questions in Spanish that they have for you?

Comment

Originally posted by kcpd2528 View Post
                          There may be issues brought up in court about being certified/qualified as a translator. Having said that, I've never had a problem, and I think it's great that you want to do your own. If you want to further reduce the odds of having a problem in court, call ICE for deportation.
                          I don't know about KC, been years since I've been through town, but I know around here in Southeast Texas, it's not uncommon to find 100% legit citizens who don't speak a lick of English.
                          sigpic
                          Let your watchword be duty, and know no other talisman of success than labor. Let honor be your guiding star in your dealing with your superiors, with your fellows, with all. Be as true to a trust reposed as the needle to the pole. Stand by the right even to the sacrifice of life itself, and learn that death is preferable to dishonor. ~ Gov. Richard Coke, October 4, 1876

Comment

Seems like here lately all my DWIs have been spanish speakers. I took 3 years in HS, 2 in college, and also have 3 years of Latin and a year of Greek. I speak none of them fluently, and spanish is the only one I consider novice skill at. I know enough to get me in trouble or enough to fool them into thinking I speak Spanish and they start speaking English (imagine that). When they ask questions back with my spanish from high school and college and even the latin I can pick up on keywords and get the jest of their questions or comments and usually rephrase them in spanish I know and they will say si o no. Most officers call me if I am on for spanish DWI because they are all convinced I speak spanish but I can just fake it pretty good. Haven't had a problem yet with me not being fluent in spanish and making these arrests. I find if they follow my instructions they understand me well enough to complete the test, if they just stare, it's time to do something different.
                            "To hell with a supervisor, men follow a leader" -Texas Ranger Captain Allee

"Regard your soldiers as your children, and they will follow you into the deepest valleys; look on them as your own beloved sons, and they will stand by you even unto death."
                            -Sun Tzu

Comment

Originally posted by mac266 View Post

I can't muster the Spanish to the correct specificity, so if there is no interpreter I skip those two. HGN plus observations of impairment (bloodshot watery eyes, swaying while standing, odor of an unknown alcoholic beverage, driving behavior, etc.) will get you a conviction in Colorado.
                              A couple weeks ago, I was on my way to a call at about 03:00 when I saw a pair of headlights coming straight at me in the same lane I was in on a two way street. I called it out on the radio, activated my lights, flipped a u-turn and a short while later got the car stopped. When the driver rolled down the window he had a strong odor of alcohol and his eyes were extremely glassy. Got him out of the car, and he stumbled immediately. The man spoke about 3 words of English: "Yes" "No" and "Nepali." He was from Nepal and spoke only Nepali. Believe it or not, my dept. does not have any Nepali speaking officers. I had no way to clearly communicate with this guy. I managed to get him to follow my finger enough to observe HGN, but I could not administer any other SFSTs.

And that was that! The cuffs went on, and he went to jail. I did not ask for a breath or blood specimen because I could not explain to him the consequences of consenting or refusing. I was fair to him, and I made a legitimate arrest based on probable cause. I did not need to perform all 3 SFSTs to form the belief that he was DWI.
                              "No one can make you feel like a turd without your permission." - Eleanor Roosevelt.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5921 users online. 348 members and 5573 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X