300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Length of shift

This may have been covered I suspect many times, but I am looking for YOUR input as officers.

What length and type of shift do you prefer and suits you well?

My agency is working 12's but there is no rhyme or reason for the scheduling. You may work 3 then have 2 off then 5 on. Really wierd.

Please take into consideration length of shift vs. time off, length of shift vs. fatigue, etc.

Thanks for your input.
    Normal 8 hour shifts, perm days off
    9.23%
    8 hour shifts, rotating days off
    10.77%
    10 hour shifts, rotating days off
    10.77%
    10 hour shifts, perm days off
    26.15%
    12 hour shifts, rotating days off
    21.54%
    12 hour shifts, perm days off
    15.38%
    12 hour shifts, variation (other than perm days off and normal shifting of days off)
    1.54%
    12 hour shifts, (6 in a 2 week period and 1 eight hour day)
    4.62%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by chiefcop; 07-20-2008, 12:38 PM.

I voted 10, rotating, because that's what my new agency does. Anyone comment, will I like it? We keep the same shift hours but rotate ends of the week every month. So work Fri, Sat, Sun for a month and then get those same days off for a month.

I think I'll like it a lot.
    If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

---Jack Handey

Comment

We do 12's and have every other weekend off, and I'm on permenent day shift. It works out to 168 days per year and with 30 days vacation, personal
      time and holidays I work about 138 days per year. Around 11.5 days per month if I work it right or the regular 14 days/month with 2 months off at my choosing.

Comment

I *love* our shift. It's 9 hours and we pick our days off. In a 28 day schedule cycle, you work 18 and get 10 off. Use 'em how you like with a couple of rules (like no more than 6 work days in a row without a day off). Up until now, I've used 1 vacation day all year but I've had quite a few stretches of 4 or 5 days off. Oh, and we owe one hour of payback during the year to get our 2080 hours.
        The views expressed in the above post are the sole opinion of the author and do not reflect any official position by the author's employer and/or municipality.

Comment

I work 4/10's with Sat-Mon off and they'll stay that way until I change squads....I love the hours and the shift goes by quick and I can get a mini vacation by burning only one day along with my off days.

Comment

I voted for eight hour tours, perm days off. If I worked for an agency that I rode 10-99 I would vote for 12 hour tours, perm days off.

I can't imagine riding 10-4 with another officer for more than 8 hours.

Comment

i currently have a 1400 hrs to 2200 hrs shift with every sunday / monday off............i luv it...
              sigpic

Comment

I voted 12 hour shifts with perm days off.

We work 12's.. 3 on 4 off, 4 on 3 off. Days off are S-M-T every other W or every other W-Th-F-S. Comes out to 14 days a month.

Can't imagine working 5 eights anymore. The 4 days on can be long especially for those who commute 2 hrs to work.
                This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Comment

We work 12's, every 2 weeks we go from day to night shift. Shift runs from 0530-1730(or vis versa)

Every other week we get a 3 day weekend.
                  sigpicMy statements do not represent my agency.

Comment

Originally posted by eman2k5 View Post
                    We work 12's, every 2 weeks we go from day to night shift. Shift runs from 0530-1730(or vis versa)

Every other week we get a 3 day weekend.
                    Days to nights??? Oh heck no! That would drive my body insane. How did your union decide on that????
                    This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Comment

I voted "12 hour shifts w/ rotating days off" but the reality is I would do just about anything to have JUST a 12 hour shift now and then. Since we have no shift overlap and our relief doesn't check on until a couple of minutes before we check off, we catch all calls until our relief is there. Which means that the usual 0530 "just woke-up and discovered that my house was burglarized last night" is ours. So 12s become 13-15s almost daily after all applicable paperwork is done.

Comment

We work 4 10's and days off change every 28 days. My schedule is either Tue-Fri or Wed-Sat. Have Sun and Mon off regardless of which schedule I'm working. Works great.

Comment

Originally posted by deputy x 2 View Post
                          Days to nights??? Oh heck no! That would drive my body insane. How did your union decide on that????
                          I dunno, but hey we only work 7 days out of a 14 day week !
                          sigpicMy statements do not represent my agency.

Comment

Originally posted by deputy x 2 View Post
                            Ha ha ,hey E-man he said union,heh heh,,La. is an at will state,your union,collective barganing,FOP rep,etc is the same man,THE SHERIFF.Ya dont like it quit,or be quitted.

Back to topic,I work the same as E-man and believe it or not you do adjust to the changes,I start my nights tonight,after being off from 1630 on Thurs,till 1630 tonight when I go on,almost 4 days off e/o weekend.
                            Sleeping Giant. They're not fat and happy anymore. They are hungry and increasingly angry. That is not a good recipe for a "Puppies and Rainbows America".

Comment

I would just like to point out, to the OP, that if you had made a "typo" on one letter of the thread title, you would probably have a lot more responses.
                              If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

---Jack Handey

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3205 users online. 156 members and 3049 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X