300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tasers

Our department is looking at getting tasers and I was just wondering what everyone thought.
    I have a taser and think its a good tool.
    71.43%
    I have a taser and wish I didn't.
    1.79%
    I don't have a taser and don't want one either
    3.57%
    I don't have a taser and with I did.
    23.21%

The poll is expired.

We are finally going to get them after being trialled for a while and we're eagerly waiting for the order to be filled. I think they would be great to have as is it an additional Use of Force Option that can be employed in a situation where cap spray has no effect, such as psychotic druggie who's "going off".
    If at first you don't succeed, remove all evidence of your attempt.

Comment

Great tool, effective, and almost everyone knows what they can do.
      Relentless

Comment

Have deployed mine about a dozen times, used it only twice. Very effective.

Comment

I could care less if I get certified on the taser, but it's good to have your back-up carry one. Or at least have access from someone on shift. I still enjoy a good hand-to-hand event every now and then. The taser is very effective even if not used but displayed. Folks know what it's like to ride the lightning.
          I am a Native American of non-Indian decent.

Cleaning the pool, one gene at a time.

I'm on a 30 day diet. So far I've lost 15 days!

Comment

Well, I worked for a department that had them, and a TASER kept me from killing a man with a knife one night who had been stabbing himself and then charged at me with it. It came in handy on a few other occasions too. One such was an incident where I was called to a "cracked out" subject who'd broken the windows of a house out with his bare hands. He subsequently took a stroll thru the house smearing his bloody hands and wrists on nearly everything, ate a bag of potato chips, and then crawled into a bed and fell asleep. When I arrived I woke him up and attempted to coax him out of bed at which time he became vulgar and combative by kicking at me. I wasn't about to roll around with "old bloody" so I activated the TASER and its camera, gave the guy a few warnings about complying (which went unheeded), and then "pop" - TASE. He fell over, I handcuffed him, and away we went - all at 4:00 am on Christmas morning. In short, a TASER will do exactly what it's rumored to. It will keep you from being hurt, and it will keep you from having to hurt others. Anyone who argues against their use is a fool.

Comment

Originally posted by Tunkle View Post
              I could care less if I get certified on the taser, but it's good to have your back-up carry one. Or at least have access from someone on shift.

Comment

a good tool

chiefcop what i believe tunkle maybe alluding, please correct me if i am wrong, to is there is a lot of paperwork to it and others tend to like to go hands on. don't get me wrong there is time for hands on, but i know when its time to get tasered.

mmeeusen i personally love the taser. till this day it amazes me. one call i had a guy attempt to stab his wife and when i almost get there dispatch tells me he left in a vehicle which that particular second we almost went head on. i ordered him out at gun point. he respondes shoot me just shoot me as he is exiting his vehicle. i can see his hands are empty and because of his behavior i holster up and go to my taser. i order him to the ground and i will be amazed he does it. nobody wants to be tasered but they would rather be shot.

just make sure your troops are well trained in the fact that deadly force is excactly that, don't rely on the taser in those encounters. you don't bring a taser to a knife fight, you bring siggy and his thirty six buddies. the taser is usable within 21 feet, the deadly zone, unless you have the extra money to get the long range cartridge.

one final thing make sure your policy enables you to remove the probes. my department is behind in the fact we have to transport by medic to remove the probes, or even dry stun. most of the surrounding jurisdictions can just remove them and observe them for the start of excited delirum. i just spoke with one of the doctors in my jurisdiction who is one of the key supporters of the taser and his is attempting to get with his chief in order for us to be able to remove the probes at scene and monitor. he says within the first three minutes is the time frame if anything were to happen we would see the symptoms, i.e bad guy from combative and aggitated to calm and sleepy.

if you give them the shot give them their five second reservation. anyone who wants the lightning gets their's. if your department is small make sure you let the guys/girls who want to use it have it. some think its ok but don't want to carry it cause it uncomfortable and encounters lots of paper, but if you've done it once, twice it makes it easier later on.

last guy i tazes was in the back and i tell you the best lock up i have ever seen. mid back and butt area made him do the reverse swimmer. his arms and legs came off the ground while he was supporting his weight on his chest and face. went from complete a hole to wanting to be my best friend so i didn't give him another ride. good luck and remember its another tool, but don't rely on it to solve deadly force encounters. two the chest one to the head and take your admin days.
                perception is the mother of all [email protected]#$ ups
                O Landfill two, you are twice the man Landfill one was. Y, thank you ma'am

Comment

Tasers are great, get them and get trained. Have a policy in place before issuing.
                  Avoid the XDPM for carrying an extra cartridge. Get the flush battery pack.

Comment

We just got QUITE a few in the other day. Folks begin training on them soon, not sure if I shall yet or not...
                    Dispatch, we have a 9-11, Armed Robbery in progress. Seay's Surplus Store, corner People's Drive and 124th Street.

Comment

Our department requires EVERYONE to be tased, even if you are not going to be carrying one. For this reason I am not excited about going through the training. Again, if I have access to one through someone else who is carrying, then it can be a great tool.
                      I am a Native American of non-Indian decent.

Cleaning the pool, one gene at a time.

I'm on a 30 day diet. So far I've lost 15 days!

Comment

We've had them since at least the early 80's. They're an excellent tool to have if needed. Many times all we have to do is conduct a "spark check" in front of a suspect and he will comply. No need to go hands on in cases like this.

As far as paperwork, for us at least, it's no different then if we hit him with a PR-24 or used physical force, it's all the same.

It's always good to have options, the Taser and Beanbag shotgun are excellent options to go along with you out on the street.

Comment

Originally posted by Tunkle View Post
                          Our department requires EVERYONE to be tased, even if you are not going to be carrying one.
                          IMO, a stupid policy of questionable legality that exists only for the purpose of assisting the company that produces and markets the device in future civil suits. Although I believe the Taser is a good tool, it's not perfect and any deployment involves risk. It's not the law enforcement agency's responsibility to provide "guinea pigs" to help Taser International demonstrate the device's safety. This defensive device should be deployed only to overcome resistance by actual, combative suspects as a means of making a lawful arrest.

When our department initially began training officers with the taser, we had a policy similar to the one above. The policy was dropped as it was determined to be unlawful, unnecessary and unjustifiable. Those officers who volunteered to be tased were neither more informed or better protected (civilly) than those who didn't and still carried the device. If an agency prohibits officers (who don't submit to tasing) from carrying the device, they're increasing the organization's liability by limited the employee's choice of options.
                          "I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Comment

New Jersey police officers are currently not authorized to use tasers. The State is looking into authorizing them for use. I hope we get them.

Sammy
                            If I could keep one heart from breaking, I shall not live in vain. If I could ease one life the aching or cool one pain; or lift a fainting robin unto it's nest again, I shall not live in vain. Emily Dickinson
                            www.samanthafund.com

Comment

Originally posted by pulicords View Post
                              IMO, a stupid policy of questionable legality that exists only for the purpose of assisting the company that produces and markets the device in future civil suits. Although I believe the Taser is a good tool, it's not perfect and any deployment involves risk. It's not the law enforcement agency's responsibility to provide "guinea pigs" to help Taser International demonstrate the device's safety. This defensive device should be deployed only to overcome resistance by actual, combative suspects as a means of making a lawful arrest.

When our department initially began training officers with the taser, we had a policy similar to the one above. The policy was dropped as it was determined to be unlawful, unnecessary and unjustifiable. Those officers who volunteered to be tased were neither more informed or better protected (civilly) than those who didn't and still carried the device. If an agency prohibits officers (who don't submit to tasing) from carrying the device, they're increasing the organization's liability by limited the employee's choice of options.
                              I agree with what you are saying, but the reason some agencies want their officers tased is not because they want guinea pigs. The reason is so that an offcier can now testify as to personal experience and training as to the effects of the taser. The same holds true for getting sprayed with OC.

Sammy
                              If I could keep one heart from breaking, I shall not live in vain. If I could ease one life the aching or cool one pain; or lift a fainting robin unto it's nest again, I shall not live in vain. Emily Dickinson
                              www.samanthafund.com

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4565 users online. 266 members and 4299 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X