Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What has been your most "interesting" 5150 holds?

The ones that end up at the morgue?? lol
    Well...Bye

Comment

It's 1096 here in Va...not 5150,,for us 5150 is the old Van Halen album made in the late 80s...I also know its LAPD code for the insane or mental ill...craziest one Ive had was naked...fought us all..then broke my handcuffs at the holding area and tried to kill himself because he was on "fire"..I think someone had spiked his philly blunt with space dust...
      "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The MARINES don't have that problem." ....Ronald Reagan

Comment

Originally posted by TheInlandEmpire View Post
        The ones that end up at the morgue?? lol
        Nice.... Litigaton pending.

Comment

After I got my RN I'm working in the ED and a cop brings this 21 year old guy in who was standing in traffic swinging a samurai sword at passing traffic. He's claiming his name is "The Angel!" I put my hand gentlly on his shoulder to guide him to the psych holding room and he shouts: "Don't touch my wing"

Picked up an old black guy who had been sitting on the courthouse steps nearly 24hours. I asked him why he was sitting on the steps, he said his right shoulder hurt and he was resting. I asked him his name. He said "Willy Mays" Just off the cuff I asked him how long his shoulder had been hurting and he replied "Since the 1969 World Series."

Another: When attempting to pick up a person for psychiatric committment the guy resists and crouches into a martial arts stance, claims we can't touch him because he knows kung fu or some such. We do a take down and cuff him up. He looks over his shoulder at us and says: "Wow! You guys are good!"

I like psych patients a whole lot better than drunks.

Comment

Originally posted by Nightshift va View Post
            It's 1096 here in Va...not 5150,,for us 5150 is the old Van Halen album made in the late 80s...I also know its LAPD code for the insane or mental ill...craziest one Ive had was naked...fought us all..then broke my handcuffs at the holding area and tried to kill himself because he was on "fire"..I think someone had spiked his philly blunt with space dust...
            5150 W&IC Is a law used by ALL CA LEOs for emergency committment of a person deemed mentally unstable.

Welfare and Institutions Code Section 5150:

http://www.aroundthecapitol.com/code...6000/5150-5157
            Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

Originally posted by Nightshift va View Post
              It's 1096 here in Va...not 5150,,for us 5150 is the old Van Halen album made in the late 80s...I also know its LAPD code for the insane or mental ill.
              5150 isn't just LAPD, it's the California Welfare & Institutions Code for a 72- hour hold for someone who's a danger to self or others, or gravely disabled.

Among waaaaaaay toooooo many in 30 years of So. Cal L.E., mine was in the Armenian section of Los Angeles, around 1991. This guy was on vacation from Armenia, visiting family. They had to stop at a pharmacy. All of a sudden this guy snaps. He takes off his clothes and starts yelling "Zombot-sindeebot" over and over. One of the English-speaking family told me it wasn't Armenian, it was just gibberish. Anyway, he's jumping naked on the hospital-type bed they're diplaying at the pharmacy. He starts spitting on us. We laid hands on him and he never stops chanting. He tried to bite us. He spit himself dry. We took him to L.A. Co./U.S.C. Hospital - Unit Three and watched the doctor shoot him up and knock him out.

We went back two days later, with another 5150 (Hey, it's Hollywood, what else?) and I saw the same doctor. I asked him for the story on "Zombot." It was, as the doctor described it, "Culture shock." The guy could not simply accept that America had so much in the stores, had so many cars, so much freedom.

I still have a poloroid photo of my uniformed self, wearing my gas mask (to avoid the spit), holding onto this naked guy, in my keepsake box.

Side note: I learned that culture shock also can kill. My dry-cleaner, at the time, was also Armenian. He had an uncle, still living in Armenia, who was very pro-Soviet. The uncle came over for a visit in the late 80's. The uncle had bought into everything the USSR had said about America...its poor, starving, enslaved masses, living under ruthless military rule. The uncle saw what America had, and what he really didn't have under the Soviet system. He finished his vacation and returned a broken man. He was dead within weeks.
              "You're never fully dressed without a smile."

Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

Comment

Originally posted by SgtCHP View Post
                5150 W&IC Is a law used by ALL CA LEOs for emergency committment of a person deemed mentally unstable.

Welfare and Institutions Code Section 5150:

http://www.aroundthecapitol.com/code...6000/5150-5157

here we have the baker act for involuntary mental examination. i use it on average 2 or 3 times a month. i am not going to go to far into some of the stories but how somebody can sit in the back of my truck and peel the skin off their own body weirds me out.

Comment

Originally posted by luckydog View Post
                  here we have the baker act for involuntary mental examination. i use it on average 2 or 3 times a month. i am not going to go to far into some of the stories but how somebody can sit in the back of my truck and peel the skin off their own body weirds me out.
                  *shudder*

Comment

Hehe. We just call them detainers here in WA. I have at least 5 or 6 a week that could be 5150, but hey....this is the V.A. My most obnoxious customer is a female that swears to god while using much profanity that we are going to shove our metal alien probes inside of her and shock her again. I think she has been tazed a few times, Whattaya think? Anyway, one time she throws herself down on the floor of the hospital, screaming like a 2 year old that the "evil B**ch is killing me!" I respond about 2 minutes after the call, and I ask her who is trying to kill her and she jumps up, clenches her fists and says, "GET THE F**K AWAY FROM ME!!! YOUR UNIFORM IS GIVING ME PTSD AND BRAINWAVES!!!" She jumps into someones office and slams the door. I have to force entry into the door because she is holding it closed. When I open it, she jumps out of the room and runs down the hall....she ran into her doctor about half way down and says in a much more pleasant voice, "Oh, hello doctor, could you refill my prescription please?" I'm right behind her, in shock. Doc says okay, explains to me that she has split personalities, and lets her go. She goes and sits in a snow bank, wailing that "The gods are praying on me!!!" MHP's had evaluated her and released her just prior to this whole event.
                    Discombobulatory Accountable Volunteerism.

Comment

Had a banger who wouldn't leave the lobby of the station because he said La Eme was outside waiting to kill him. Looked outside and no Eme. Wouldn't leave the lobby and was sobbing like a 3 year old. Hooked him and took him to mental health.

Here lately my 5150's have been banging their head and face into the holding cell glass. Even after spliting their heads open, knocking themselves out, and breaking their nose, they get up and bang away. One even cracked the glass. My last one slipped his cuffs, showed me through the glass what he did and comensed to spit and bang his head.
                      "When I came home, people often asked me about Iraq, and mostly I told them it wasn't so bad. I didn't know how to explain myself to them. The war really wasn't so bad. Yes, there were bombs and shootings and nervous times, but that was just the job. In fact, going to war is rather easy. You react to situations around you and try not to die. There are no electric bills or car payments or chores around the house. Just go to work, come home alive, and do it again tomorrow." - Brian Mockenhaupt

Comment

They are ALL classics!
                        This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Comment

Last edited by GrayState; 01-25-2013, 05:37 PM.

Comment

Not my arrest, but when I was working detention down town, we had this guy in a cell alone (mental reasons). He began clawing at the concrete floor, tearing his nails off and they started bleeding. We asked him what he was doing and he said, "My best friend is buried alive under here!! HELP ME!!!" We threw him an imaginary shovel and he started going through the motion of digging w/ the shovel instead of using his fingers. He kept at it all night.

Comment

Another from my Sgt. and Cpl......... Respond to a house on check the welfare and knock. "Come in." Open the door and dog dripping blood off him, runs out the door. He didn't want anymore of what was going on inside. They see blood smeared on the walls, floor, furniture, looked like "a body had exploded." They approach the naked man who's sprawled out on the sofa and he was gouging his eye out. He had it hanging out and was stating, "I gotta get the devil out! It's in my head!" They look down and notice something that looked like an eyeball but later realized he had torn his own sack open like a potatoe chip bag and removed his nut, throwing it across the room........... That's the classic EDP/mental call from my town in the last 10 years. The new standard by which mental health calls are judged!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7908 users online. 345 members and 7563 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X