Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any other drug recognition experts out there?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Any other drug recognition experts out there?

    Just wondering if there are any other DRE's on this forum. I am looking for someone outside my department that I can bounce some evals off of. If anyone out there is considering becoming a DRE, I will tell you, it 's tough work but it is very interesting.
    sigpic

  • #2
    I am. Was originally certified in 2001, and unfortunately due to moving states, my cert lapsed. I just got re certified in Sept. of 2007.

    Comment


    • #3
      I am a DRE as well.

      Comment


      • #4
        Me too, Cert lapsed when I went to detectives. I knocked out about 80 evals though.
        If one man can make a difference, every man should.

        Comment


        • #5
          I am going for my DRE instructor next week...
          Last edited by 5-0 Striker; 05-20-2008, 01:50 AM.

          Comment


          • #6
            I am also.

            Recently I've been seeing a lot of prescription drugs (ambien and CNS depressants), and OTC things like corricidin (sp).
            What can brown do for you?

            Comment


            • #7
              Corricidin? I've never heard of that, tell me more. Is that some type of cough suppressant?
              Last edited by DREGOD; 05-20-2008, 12:08 PM.
              sigpic

              Comment


              • #8
                Corricidin is a decongestant type of medicine that I've often found people with high blood pressure taking. They make a "special blend" that won't interfere with other hypertensive drugs, etc.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I was a DRE- found that in our state there is NO case law to back it up so the eval got tossed out the window everytime I went to court. Despite all the training and time, documentation that I put in to this the minute I said "Drug Recognition Expert" the defense would jump up with "I object" and that would be it!

                  I had a case where the driver was smoking marijuana when stopped, showed all classic physiological signs of cannibis use during the eval and admitted to smoking marijuana every day- all on the video. The judge found him not guilty because I had stopped him for no turn signal and making a wide turn- he did not believe that showed he was incapable of safely operating his vehicle.

                  In another case, the guy was stopped by another officer (skilled old school DUI arrester) and I happened to stop by. He was just about to release this guy because he had blown .000 on the PBT - though he knew something was wrong. I took one look at his eyes (this is near midnight) and they were pinpoint- asked him to show me his arms and - you guessed it... long time Heroin addict. This one was tossed out of court too, even with the bad field sobriety because he was very slow but still had balance.

                  Anyway- point being I don't think the DRE program is worthwhile unless you have the case law in your state to back it up. I let my DRE lapse and recommend that any officer looking at the program look at their court system before jumping into training.
                  ---Cut the red wire---

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by ArkansasFan24 View Post
                    Corricidin is a decongestant type of medicine that I've often found people with high blood pressure taking. They make a "special blend" that won't interfere with other hypertensive drugs, etc.

                    I am actually wanting to become a DRE, anyone know where i can find training for this in Missouri? Thanks
                    A government big enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have……Thomas Jefferson

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Around here, most officers more or less use the DAR process instead of DRE. We have one guy who's made at least 2500 under the influence of controlled substance arrests without using the DRE process and never had a problem in court, and others who have hundreds under their belt as well and do just fine in court without DRE.
                      Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

                      I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        wondering when USMCROB will chime in He is a DRE in my dept

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by powerstroked View Post
                          wondering when USMCROB will chime in He is a DRE in my dept
                          I'm here. Just took me a second

                          Coricidin Cough & Cold also known as "Triple C". Taken in excess (I'm talking like 2 or 3 boxes) will have similar effects at PCP. We see it alot in teens cause they can buy it OTC. I see it a lot at the hospital that I work OT at too. They are getting high off of the Dextromethorphan that's in it. I always try to talk to the kids that are on it that come into the hospital and find out how much they took, how long it lasts, etc. So far the average dosage that I'm hearing is somewhere around 25-40 pills at a time.
                          Last edited by usmcrob; 02-24-2009, 04:36 PM.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by KAA951 View Post
                            I was a DRE- found that in our state there is NO case law to back it up so the eval got tossed out the window everytime I went to court. Despite all the training and time, documentation that I put in to this the minute I said "Drug Recognition Expert" the defense would jump up with "I object" and that would be it!

                            I had a case where the driver was smoking marijuana when stopped, showed all classic physiological signs of cannibis use during the eval and admitted to smoking marijuana every day- all on the video. The judge found him not guilty because I had stopped him for no turn signal and making a wide turn- he did not believe that showed he was incapable of safely operating his vehicle.

                            In another case, the guy was stopped by another officer (skilled old school DUI arrester) and I happened to stop by. He was just about to release this guy because he had blown .000 on the PBT - though he knew something was wrong. I took one look at his eyes (this is near midnight) and they were pinpoint- asked him to show me his arms and - you guessed it... long time Heroin addict. This one was tossed out of court too, even with the bad field sobriety because he was very slow but still had balance.

                            Anyway- point being I don't think the DRE program is worthwhile unless you have the case law in your state to back it up. I let my DRE lapse and recommend that any officer looking at the program look at their court system before jumping into training.
                            If I worried about how my cases were going to end up in court, I wouldn't make any arrests. We can't control what the courts are going to do. I got them off the street that night and they didn't kill themselves or someone else and that's the important thing. While some courts might not recognize DRE training, it is still a great tool/training to help recognize impairment.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by ateamer View Post
                              Around here, most officers more or less use the DAR process instead of DRE. We have one guy who's made at least 2500 under the influence of controlled substance arrests without using the DRE process and never had a problem in court, and others who have hundreds under their belt as well and do just fine in court without DRE.
                              What does DAR stand for?

                              Comment

                              MR300x250 Tablet

                              Collapse

                              What's Going On

                              Collapse

                              There are currently 6589 users online. 348 members and 6241 guests.

                              Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

                              Welcome Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X