300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well, crud.

We had a municipal election today, and the two newly elected commissioners, along with one already in office (we have a five member commission) have promised to make their first order of business a motion to dissolve our town, to include the police department and turn it into unincorporated county land. So...that will put 13 full time officers and support staff out in the street looking for new jobs.

Not sure if this was the right forum to drop this in, and feel free to move it elsewhere or lock it if necessary, but I needed a place to vent, and you fine folks seemed to be the most convenient ones to vent to.
    Last edited by joemc72; 04-22-2008, 11:00 PM.

good thing about LE...other towns are hiring....I am sure that it sucks, but you will survive!

Comment

Normally when stuff like this happens, the local Sheriff's Department or close towns could use the bodies. Start looking now, but don't let your work ethic slip during the "wind-down" time.

Comment

Originally posted by IMachU View Post
        Normally when stuff like this happens, the local Sheriff's Department or close towns could use the bodies. Start looking now, but don't let your work ethic slip during the "wind-down" time.
        I'm pretty sure the Sheriff's Department here won't pick us up, because (not to put too fine a point on it), they would more likely just use the existing people they have now to cover the new area.

As for work ethic? No way. I worked too hard to get here.

Comment

Originally posted by joemc72 View Post
          I'm pretty sure the Sheriff's Department here won't pick us up, because (not to put too fine a point on it), they would more likely just use the existing people they have now to cover the new area.
          Traditionally, such contracts call for "dedicated" positions assigned solely to serve the town. (The city isn't going to pay them to patrol the unincorporated county area.) The people that fill those positions have to come from somewhere. I doubt the Sheriff is going to reduce service to the unincorporated county by 13 positions just to cover the contract. If your county board of supervisors (or commissioners, or whatever you call them) gets wind of that, they will reduce the sheriff's budget by an equal amount of positions. Contracts of this nature are an excuse to increase the size of the sheriffs department without increasing the county budget, and not to maintain the status quo.

When cities do what yours is doing, it is not unusual for them to condition it on the sheriff absorbing laid off city police personnel, providing they meet the sheriff's hiring criteria. You need to have your department and community push your commisioners to do that. You may not be assigned to patrol your city, but you will still be employed. Your department should not be afraid to ask your city commissioners and the community as a whole to push for it.
          Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by L-1 View Post
            Traditionally, such contracts call for "dedicated" positions assigned solely to serve the town. (The city isn't going to pay them to patrol the unincorporated county area.) The people that fill those positions have to come from somewhere. I doubt the Sheriff is going to reduce service to the unincorporated county by 13 positions just to cover the contract. If your county board of supervisors (or commissioners, or whatever you call them) gets wind of that, they will reduce the sheriff's budget by an equal amount of positions. Contracts of this nature are an excuse to increase the size of the sheriffs department without increasing the county budget, and not to maintain the status quo.

When cities do what yours is doing, it is not unusual for them to condition it on the sheriff absorbing laid off city police personnel, providing they meet the sheriff's hiring criteria. You need to have your department and community push your commisioners to do that. You may not be assigned to patrol your city, but you will still be employed. Your department should not be afraid to ask your city commissioners and the community as a whole to push for it.
            I'm hoping that's what they do, really. I really hate to see some fine officers get left out to the wolves. I'll have to play it by ear and hope that in the runup to the special election the voters in our fair city will see the light.

Comment

Good luck during your election. What does the others on your department say about the situation?
              Some people were just dropped on their heads as children more than the rest of us!

Comment

Originally posted by nebraska_deputy View Post
                Good luck during your election. What does the others on your department say about the situation?
                Oh, it's pretty much pucker factor eight around the station. We'll know more tomorrow.

Comment

I'm hoping that's what they do, really. I really hate to see some fine officers get left out to the wolves. I'll have to play it by ear and hope that in the runup to the special election the voters in our fair city will see the light.
                  Bear in mind, getting absorbed is not a given. Your department and the community need to really hammer the city commissioners to make this a condition of the sheriff taking over.

As far as disbanding the city is concerned and becoming unincoroprated county once more, is this something the city commissioners are empowered to do on their own, or will it require a majority vote of the city residents?
                  Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Bear in mind, getting absorbed is not a given. Your department and the community need to really hammer the city commissioners to make this a condition of the sheriff taking over.
                    Part of our problem is the fact that our chief is somewhat unpopular with the surrounding agencies and the sheriff's department (which makes officers guilty by association, which is a shame, our chief is actually a really good guy), and our new commissioners are not exactly supportive of our department. I think it will be an uphill battle.

As far as disbanding the city is concerned and becoming unincoroprated county once more, is this something the city commissioners are empowered to do on their own, or will it require a majority vote of the city residents?
                    It will be a special election. However, only 20% of our town's registered voters turned out yesterday, and it seems that voter apathy might continue into the special election as well. The three commissioners sent letters to the County Commission, the Sheriff, and the Supervisor of Elections asking for their support. The one to the Sheriff seems halfhearted at best.

Comment

We had a municipal election today, and the two newly elected commissioners, along with one already in office (we have a five member commission) have promised to make their first order of business a motion to dissolve our town, to include the police department and turn it into unincorporated county land. So...that will put 13 full time officers and support staff out in the street looking for new jobs.

Not sure if this was the right forum to drop this in, and feel free to move it elsewhere or lock it if necessary, but I needed a place to vent, and you fine folks seemed to be the most convenient ones to vent to.

Do the new electees drink and drive?

Comment

Originally posted by DH21187 View Post
                        Do the new electees drink and drive?
                        I have six days to find out.

Comment

I have six days to find out.

Nice!

Comment

If they disolve the city, would the city council still have their jobs, or would the former town be ruled by the county commission?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3154 users online. 146 members and 3008 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X