Moving to Jackson, MS area

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving to Jackson, MS area

Hey guys, going to cross post this from the MS board just because I don't see a lot of activity there. I'd greatly appreciate any input!

Well guys, my wife was just accepted into medical residency in Jackson, so we're coming down there this summer. So for the obvious questions:

1. good and hiring departments? I've searched a found a little- the consensus is suburb PDs over JPD from what I've read.

2. good places to live and places to avoid

3. I'm currently POST in TN. How does that transfer in the area? (or does anyone know where I can find that info?)

Many thanks for any advice!

JC Oakley

Originally posted by tn_gunslinger View Post
    Hey guys, going to cross post this from the MS board just because I don't see a lot of activity there. I'd greatly appreciate any input!

Well guys, my wife was just accepted into medical residency in Jackson, so we're coming down there this summer. So for the obvious questions:

1. good and hiring departments? I've searched a found a little- the consensus is suburb PDs over JPD from what I've read.

2. good places to live and places to avoid

3. I'm currently POST in TN. How does that transfer in the area? (or does anyone know where I can find that info?)

Many thanks for any advice!

JC Oakley
    JC, I'm not an expert on the Jackson Ms area. Been through there many times, and it's a very pleasent place. That said, now, and I emphasize now, is the time to start doing some research. Determine whether your Tn POST is transferrable to Ms, and under what circumstances. You can probably access the websites of most agencies in the Jackson area right here on Officer.com. Get busy, and I mean now!! Congratualtions on your Wife's acceptance to Residency. Hope it's a start to great careers for both of you.

Comment

Checked the O.com dept listings. Only one of the links was still good, Hinds Co SO, I think. But I've found the other local depts pages. Unfortunately, most are just a one-page, here's our contact number, type website. No biggie, I'll just have to call down and talk to the individual depts.

Any ideas where I can find info on the MS LE certification? I'm still googling to try and find it, but if anyone else knows a site with the info, I'd be grateful!

Comment

Welcome to the metro area.

You will here many bad things about JPD. There are a few good guys/girls there but they are few and far between. The city has a criminal for a mayor and the sheriff of hinds county is also the police chief of Jackson.

The good departments are in Madison and Rankin counties
        Rankin County
        1. Flowood PD
        2. Brandon PD
        3. Rankin County SO

Madison County
        1. Madison SO
        2. Madison PD
        3. Ridgeland PD

I personally know that Flowood is hiring. We are going to have a couple of openings in patrol in a month or so. Rankin is hiring deputies right now and I think Brandon Pd is looking for 3 or 4. As far as pay goes Flowood pays the highest followed by Brandon and then the SO. I can't speak for any of the Madison county agencies but they are worth checking out.

You can live pretty well in any area of Rankin county. There is alot of growth right now and new suburbs are going up everywhere. If you live in Flowood or Brandon the city of Jackson is only 10-15 minutes away because Rankin and Hinds counties border each other. You can live in Jackson if ya want but you will pay higher taxes and deal with a higher crime rate than you would in Rankin or Madison.

As far as your TN post certification transfering I can't help you on that one. Just call an agency that you are thinking of applying to and ask them. I'm pretty sure you'll have enough training hours to lateral with no problem

Heres some numbers to help you out.
        Flowood PD 601-932-5400
        Brandon PD 601-825-7225
        Rankin SO 601-825-1480

Hope this helps and good luck.

Comment

Many thanks, Charlie! I caught that the chief and sheriff were the same and thought that was odd. I'll be doing research on the officials in the area just to see. I also noticed the crime rates in Jackson proper were pretty stout- not that that's a really big deal to me, but I noticed just the same.

I'll be callling down to those agencies you listed tomorrow and hoping to get some applications and info working.

Comment

2. good places to live....
            Louisiana

2. .....places to avoid
            Mississippi

Sorry, it's a Louisiana thing

Comment

I know Pearl PD is hiring. They are a good department to work for. Their Chief is cool and lets you do your job without politics getting involved, or so I am told. It is a small town just southeast of Jackson. Madison, Flowood and Ridgeland probably pay a little more. It just depends on what you want. I think most are hiring. Good luck!

Comment

Really appreciate the tips guys! I'll be calling down this afternoon to see if I can get info and maybe have some apps faxed up where I am now. (the good part of where I work is that the chief is totally supportive and has known that I'd be moving away soon.)

oh, let me add: about how long would you estimate it would take me from application to hire, assuming everything goes smoothly?

Comment

found out from Madison PD's receptionist (I think it was the receptionist) that I'll just have to do a three week "lateral" type class- MS law, defensive driving, and firearms to transfer my certification!

Comment

and yet another question:

I found some links for the state agencies- MBI, MBN, and MS DHS. Are these worth pursuing? Do they generally accept applications? I'll be calling them on Tuesday, but I was, again, just wanting some other impressions from guys and gals who live in the area.

thanks again!

(when I get down there, lunch is on me for all your help!)

Comment

I can't help you much with MBI and MBN. Those state agencies can be worth pursuing but they may not pay as well as some suburban pd's out here. Also since it's a statewide gig it's not certian were youre post is gona be. Just something to think about. I forgot to mention Pearl PD earlier. Got some good friends that work there. They don't make the most money but there are some great people over there.

Comment

I was planning on working for Jackson PD when I finished school. I did a few ride alongs, and changed my mind. Thank god I did. That department is a joke.
                        "Nuts" ---Lieutenant General Harry Kinnard

Comment

Contacted several depts and have three sending me applications and three where I'll have to go down and pick them up. Thanks for the info guys!

Comment

No problem. Good luck with it.

Comment

My wife has a contact where she will be working who suggested Vicksburg. Looks like it's about 30-45min away from jackson proper. Good dept? And are there some decent living spaces on the west side of jackson that would make it closer for me?

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8240 users online. 250 members and 7990 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Working...
                              X