Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chief Indicted for on duty shooting, wow.

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chief Indicted for on duty shooting, wow.

LINCOLN -- A grand jury has indicted Crawford Police Chief Rick Thompson on a charge of felony second-degree assault in the fatal shooting of a teenage burglary suspect.

Thompson, 55, was taken into custody Monday night, shortly after a Dawes County grand jury completed seven days of deliberations over the shooting of Jesse Britton on Oct. 3.

Britton, 16, was killed after Thompson and a state game warden, Dan Kling, entered a vacant bar in Crawford to investigate a reported break-in. Kling was not indicted.

Some Crawford residents reacted with shock and outrage at the shooting, which they maintained was not justified and could have been avoided. Britton's family also was critical of Thompson, police chief since 1999, for what they called his aggressive tactics in the days leading up to the shooting.

The boy's mother, Patty Britton, said Thompson had searched her home for her son without a warrant and had seemed to target Jesse in investigating several recent break-ins without looking at other suspects.

"Thank God there is justice in this world," said Dennis Lyons, a Crawford resident and one of the leading critics of the police chief.

Shortly after the incident, Nebraska Attorney General Jon Bruning had said he was told that Britton had pointed a handgun at the officers and refused to lower the weapon when ordered.

The 16-member grand jury did not issue a report, as is sometimes done, detailing its reason for indicting Thompson.

Thompson, who was being held at the Dawes County Jail, appeared before Dawes County District Judge Brian Silverman this morning. The judge set bail at 10 percent of $50,000 and set several conditions if Thompson is released on bail, including that he not enter the city limits of Crawford.

An arraignment hearing was scheduled for Jan. 8.

The charge he faces carries a sentence of up to five years in prison, up to a $10,000 fine, or both.

Crawford Mayor L.J. Moloney, in a statement, said Thompson had been placed on unpaid leave due to the indictment. The police chief had been on paid administrative leave since the shooting.

"This is no reflection of the guilt or innocence of Rick Thompson. It is just what I feel is in the best interest of the city of Crawford at the moment," the mayor said.

A Crawford police officer, Paul Kimminau, was named interim chief in the town of 1,100.

Crawford is in extreme northwest Nebraska, near Fort Robinson State Park.
    Glad I don't work there..

"Britton, 16, was killed after Thompson and a state game warden, Dan
    Kling, entered a vacant bar in Crawford to investigate a reported break-in.
    Kling was not indicted."

Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that the fish cop provided some
    pretty damaging testimony in order to save his own hide.

Comment

What strikes me as strange is that the Chief kills the kid but is charged with second degree assault. There's got to be a lot more here than meets the eye.
      Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Exactly...
        J. Wise

AR-15 - AK-47 - NFA Trusts - My Pick - Carry Guns - 1911s

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

Need more info. Does this state that the kid had a gun???

Also, POT's mom state that the chief was badgering her son wrongly for breaking into places ..... AND HE IS SHOT DURING A BURGLARY??????
          Space for rent .........

Comment

Originally posted by scratched13 View Post
            Need more info. Does this state that the kid had a gun???

Also, POT's mom state that the chief was badgering her son wrongly for breaking into places ..... AND HE IS SHOT DURING A BURGLARY??????
            That's the strange part. The news story said they interrupted the kid as he was committing a burglary, that the kid was armed with a gun, pointed it at the chief, refused to drop it when told to do so, and only then was shot. Yet the Chief was charged.

Strangely enough, the prosecutor and the grand jury declined to release any further info, so until this goes to trial, everyone is going to be in the dark.

Comment

Published Wednesday | November 21, 2007
              Crawford police chief's arrest divides town
              BY PAUL HAMMEL
              WORLD-HERALD BUREAU

LINCOLN — Residents of Crawford, Neb., reacted with a combination of
              surprise and relief Tuesday to the criminal indictment of the town's police
              chief in the shooting death of a 16-year-old burglary suspect.

Crawford Police Chief Rick ThompsonA grand jury's indictment alleging that
              Police Chief Rick Thompson had "recklessly" shot the teen also adds steam to
              the prospect of filing a wrongful death lawsuit, said an attorney for the family
              of the slain teen, Jesse Britton.

"I think I can say we will be filing a civil action in this case," said Bob
              Chaloupka, a veteran trial attorney from Scottsbluff. "That's probably the
              only way we'll get to all the facts."

The 16-member grand jury met in Chadron for seven days before indicting
              Thompson, 55, on Monday evening on a charge of second-degree assault, a
              felony punishable by up to five years in prison. A vote of 12 of 16 jurors is
              required for an indictment.

"Thank God there is justice in this world," said Dennis Lyons, a Crawford
              resident who has been an outspoken critic of the chief in recent months.

Britton, who had a history of legal troubles as a juvenile, was shot Oct. 3
              inside an abandoned bar after the police chief and a local game warden, Dan
              Kling, had entered the bar to investigate a possible break-in.

Kling was not indicted.

Investigators never stated what happened inside the bar that day or who
              fired the two shots that struck the teen. The grand jury did not issue a
              written report, though the indictment stated that Thompson had "recklessly"
              caused serious bodily injury to Britton.

Jean Rhodes, the special prosecutor who led the grand jury probe, said she
              could not comment on the evidence collected in the case.

"At a public trial, the facts will come out," said Rhodes, who commended the
              grand jurors for their diligence and lack of complaint over their long service.

Thompson, the police chief in the northwest Nebraska town since 1999, was
              taken into custody Monday night. Tuesday morning, he posted 10 percent of
              $50,000 bail and was released.

An arraignment is scheduled Jan. 8. Until then, District Judge Brian Silverman
              ordered that Thompson, who lives in rural Dawes County, not enter Crawford
              and not possess any firearms.

Thompson has declined to comment since the incident, and his attorney,
              Marty Connealy of Chadron, did not return a phone message Tuesday.

Shortly after the incident, Nebraska Attorney General Jon Bruning said Britton
              had been shot after pointing a gun at the officers and ignoring their orders to
              drop the weapon.

At the time, Bruning said he expected the officers to be exonerated.

On Tuesday, Bruning was out of the state until early evening and did not
              return phone calls.

Chaloupka, the attorney for the Britton family, said Bruning's comments
              were "improper" and that it was unclear if they were accurate.

He said Britton's mother, Pat, was still grieving over the loss of her only son,
              whom she raised by herself.

"She can't say that's she happy about anything (today) — she lost her only
              child — but it's the first ray of light that she's seen," the attorney said.

The Britton family referred all questions Tuesday to Chaloupka.

But last month, Pat Britton said Thompson targeted her son for arrest in a
              string of recent burglaries without considering other suspects.

Once, she said, Thompson ordered her to put her three dogs in a back room
              so that if he had to search the house for the son when the mother was
              away, the dogs wouldn't bother him.

"(The police chief) had a vendetta against him," she said.

Crawford, a community of 1,100 people near Fort Robinson State Park, has
              been deeply divided since the shooting.

Some said that a series of burglaries had frustrated law enforcement and the
              community and that police were left with little choice if a weapon had been
              pointed at them. Some townspeople, who asked to remain unnamed, said
              they were surprised the chief had been indicted.

Others, though, expressed relief as they visited the Crossroads Mini-Mart in
              Crawford on Tuesday, according to store clerk Bianca Paiz.

"I think that something else could have been done" besides shooting the
              teen, Paiz said.

In a statement, Crawford Mayor L.J. Moloney said Thompson had been placed
              on unpaid leave because of his indictment. The police chief had been on paid
              administrative leave since the shooting.

"This is no reflection of the guilt or innocence of Rick Thompson. It is just
              what I feel is in the best interest of the city of Crawford at the moment," the
              mayor said.

A Crawford police officer, Paul Kimminau, has been named interim chief.

Harriet Walker of Chadron, a friend of the Britton family's, said she was
              encouraged by the grand jury's decision.

"I feel like the justice system is working the way it's supposed to, and no one
              is above the law," Walker said.

Thompson survived an attempt by a former mayor, Georgia Keightly, to have
              him dismissed in 2003.

Thompson was certified to serve as a Nebraska law enforcement officer in
              1983. He has previously served with police departments in Clarkson and
              Gothenburg, Neb., and Newcastle, Wyo., and with the Sheriff's Offices of
              Deuel and Garden Counties.

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pag...u_sid=10190673

Comment

Originally posted by SpectraTAC View Post
                Shortly after the incident, Nebraska Attorney General Jon Bruning said Britton had been shot after pointing a gun at the officers and ignoring their orders to drop the weapon.
                You see, this is where I get confused. If an officer catches a burglary suspect in the act and shoots him when the suspect points a gun at the cop and refuses to drop the weapon, how is it that the cop has committed a felony assault? For that matter, the kid died. If you follow the Grand Jury's convoluted logic, what stop at assault when you can go for murder?

I give up.

Comment

I lived in a smallllll (>1200) town in NE for a little while and I am drawing this conclusion: The community is really upset a child of theirs was taken and they are not thinking of the position the officer was in. That or their is a lot more to the story than we know.

Comment

Everyone on that jury needs to lose any right of protection from the police department ............ plus the prosecutor and anyone behind this story. His parent (s) should be sued for creating a mennace.
                    Space for rent .........

Comment

I too, question the "logic" of the Grand Jury. If Assualt 2nd is indicated, then why not Murder, or at least Manslaughter? After all, the alleged suspect is dead. Much more to this than meets the eye.

Comment

Originally posted by scannerson View Post
                        I lived in a smallllll (>1200) town in NE for a
                        little while and I am drawing this conclusion: The community is really upset a
                        child of theirs was taken and they are not thinking of the position the officer
                        was in. That or their is a lot more to the story than we know.
                        Yeah, and I suppose this young, victim of society was just starting to turn
                        his life around.

Comment

My lord , what are we supposed to do ? wait until we are fatally wounded and bleeding out before we draw down and shoot at an armed felony in progress???
                          Come and get them!! (leonidus)

Comment

Back in the 60s when I was going to college, the ACLU proposed that police adopt something known as the First Shot policy. Their concept was that you couldn't be sure if someone really wanted to do you harm just because they pointed a gun at you. Instead, they proposed that officers could only shoot at someone after the suspect first pointed his gun at you AND then fired.

Needless to say, their proporal didn't get too far.

Comment

o my!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                              sounds like a set up to me. i knew i hated politics for a reason. the only question i have is where were patrol officers for his back up?

hope the chief finds someone on his side up there. good luck.
                              perception is the mother of all [email protected]#$ ups
                              O Landfill two, you are twice the man Landfill one was. Y, thank you ma'am

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3544 users online. 170 members and 3374 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X